Gus Macpherson

Jp_92

Apologies, good luck.

No worries mate easy mistake to make saying as we are situated in the North but play in the South.

When we played Gretna in 06 their officials put the NI flag up instead of the Irish Tri-colour, when UEFA asked them to replace it they said that Derry was in Northern Ireland to which the UEFA delegate replied "Yes, but Derry City play in Ireland" lol

Thanks for your help

The team that won Division 1 had a fair number of young players (20/21/22 at the time) Smith, Broadfoot, Lappin Adam Sutton & Kean and he did give Molloy (before his injury), Barron and Stephen McGinn their starts in the SPL - the downturn really came after his fall-out with Longwell. Overall I think his record on youth development is somewhat exaggerated.

I reckon he was one of our better managers but it went kinda sour in his last season - I wonder if he regrets not taking the Ross County job when offered.

When did he get offered the Ross County gig? I'm not saying he didn't, i'm just asking when

as stated before - he had no time for our youth players also had no time for fans (leaving agm before it ended) (told us if we want entertainment then we should go to the cinema) i cracked a joke to him at a supporters do and he replied in a dismissive manner and just shrugged when i explained it was a joke. he has no social skills and will grind out a result when it's needed but too often sat on a one goal lead which ended in several draws and a few defeats, to sum up he is a pig ignorant person who never admits to being wrong and cannot be bothered what anyone else thinks, also he had no idea how to hold on to win a cup final against 9 men - mind you it was against his big team

I remember that game very well.

he was offered the job in close season after we binned him, he turned it down stating dingwall was too far away - can't argue with him there

Wasn't aware of that. Can't say I think they'd be in the position they are now had he taken charge

At that time we were paying his salary and I think that would have stopped if he had taken the job so the incentive wasn't there then.

The seeds were sown for the failure to close out that League Cup Final years before it happened. It was symptomatic of the squad Gus had assembled, with no pace, no width, no guile and, most significantly, no sign of these glaring deficiencies ever being remedied, year after year.

We had no weapons with which to stretch (the late) Rangers when they were on the ropes, either in our personnel, or by virtue of the fact that Gus was, and has always been, completely devoid of any attacking ideas. Shockingly so. Stuffy, hard working performances can only take you so far, and there comes a time when you need some players and/or a system that gives the opposition something to think about, other than how far you can roll your sleeves up. We had neither.

However, if it is stuffy, hard working performances, with absolutely zero flair, but perhaps a bit of stability, that you're looking for, then...

Oh how we laughed as we drew 0-0 with the equally thrilling Clyde no fewer than four times in the same season. snore.gif But four points were better than nothing.

Edited by Dirty Sanchez

The seeds were sown for the failure to close out that League Cup Final years before it happened. It was symptomatic of the squad Gus had assembled, with no pace, no width, no guile and, most significantly, no sign of these glaring deficiencies ever being remedied, year after year.

We had no weapons with which to stretch (the late) Rangers when they were on the ropes, either in our personnel, or by virtue of the fact that Gus was, and has always been, completely devoid of any attacking ideas. Shockingly so. Stuffy, hard working performances can only take you so far, and there comes a time when you need some players and/or a system that gives the opposition something to think about, other than how far you can roll your sleeves up. We had neither.

However, if it is stuffy, hard working performances, with absolutely zero flair, but perhaps a bit of stability, that you're looking for, then...

Oh how we laughed as we drew 0-0 with the equally thrilling Clyde no fewer than four times in the same season. snore.gif But four points were better than nothing.

I'm surprised to find myself taking issue with something you've written there.

I witnessed one of the best attacking performances from any Saints team (up there with some of the swashbuckling Hendrie performances during the 1st Division winning season) under MacPherson when we blew Falkirk away at their ground to avoid the drop. It was 0-2 going on 0-6.

That was a fantastic performance, but one of the things that made it so noteable was that it was also exceptional. I conclude from this that Gus did have the tools (aherm) but all too often opted to play it safe. A key feature of that famous victory in Grangemouth, howver, was also the support. I have no doubt (and players confirmed this) that we, the support, drove the team on, and contributed to that result. Again, however, this was exceptional in many respects.

Funnily enough, it makes aspects of Gus' tenure all the more frustrating when many of us witnessed what was possible (the 4-0 defeat of Celtic is another example, albeit they were shambolic that evening). Gus didn't take chances often enough for my liking. He was a stubborn sod who created his own limitations at times, perhaps because that approach had served its purpose, but, in the end, it turned way too many people (myself included) off.

Edited by Drew

Roddy Collins appointed Derry City boss according to Sky Sports News.

Boy, Roddy's travelled some in his career. He was a player then player/manager of Bangor in the 90's. A helluva nice guy. The Irish League suited him well. His brother is Steve Collins the ex-boxer and he came to a couple of games. An equally nice guy. If Gus had any regard for the Ibrox mob he wouldn't have lasted five minutes at The Brandywell.

Gus didn't take chances often enough for my liking. He was a stubborn sod who created his own limitations at times.........but, in the end, it turned way too many people (myself included) off.

This sums it up nicely for me. Thanks, Drew.

:)

No worries mate easy mistake to make saying as we are situated in the North but play in the South.

When we played Gretna in 06 their officials put the NI flag up instead of the Irish Tri-colour, when UEFA asked them to replace it they said that Derry was in Northern Ireland to which the UEFA delegate replied "Yes, but Derry City play in Ireland" lol

Thanks for your help

Roddy Collins, I am pleased that its not Gus McPherson, I think you dodged a bullet there, hope this new guy works out for you.

he was offered the job in close season after we binned him, he turned it down stating dingwall was too far away - can't argue with him there

I was thinking of November 2010 a good 6 months after he'd left the club - Willie McStay's (a bullet missed there) short tenure at County had come to an end and MacPherson was rumoured to have been offered the job.

At that time we were paying his salary and I think that would have stopped if he had taken the job so the incentive wasn't there then.

Yeah, I'm sure us still paying his wages was a major factor, however at that point 6 months into his notice period I thought it was a short-sighted decision.