American Football

Kendo

Similarly, the same day we played Ross County the 'sweep, sweep, sweep' scenes below took place on the morning of a game in Chicago.

The game started, only for a tornado to sweep through the area shortly afterwards.

The players left the park, the fans all went for pie, and then they came back out and finished the game when the weather cleared up a bit.

The picture of the scoreboard was taken just after 12pm, but it looks like night time because of the thunder clouds.

post-541-0-67509400-1386608742_thumb.jpg

post-541-0-88654800-1386608893_thumb.jpg

There was a tremendous amount of snow for that game. Would any other sport played on grass normally have survived such weather? Would a rugby match have been played in similar weather? Now with undersoil heating the days of an orange ball and brushed lines must surely be gone for football?

I think it's just a different attitude. That weather profoundly affected how the game was played, e.g. only one kick was attempted (which they f**ked up) because the weather made it harder. In the same way that it was harder than normal to play football v Ross County because of the conditions.

They didn't abandon the game, they just adapted the conditions and got on with it. There's never been an abandoned game in history.

They're officially not even supposed to clear snow from the park, other than to make the lines visible.

Nice one!

Was it the one with Farmer Brown and his dog, Meg?

Magic! sorcerer.gif

No, no, this was the one when farmer Jake, the big guy with one eye, had whistled for his dog, Shep, to run round and bring the sheep into the pen but, and this is the funny bit, the sheep didn't want to go in and just stopped. lol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.gif

Man, that was a classic.

I'll send it down next week but get the pampers on, you'll need them. I dribbled just typing this post. thumbup2.gif

It's totally comparable to our abandoned game with Ross County. Over there they just turn up and get on with it.

They would pish themselves laughing at the site of Willie Collum sending us all home.

attachicon.gifphildet1.jpg

attachicon.gifphidet.jpg

Not comparable at all. They throw the 'football' about, not rolling it.

Edited by Barney63

Fair comment. I'm sure we all remember playing in puddles and you end up running past the bloody ball. You just can't play in it.

I try my damnedest to like American football. I can watch highlights but a whole match I usually find pretty boring.

Impressively observant.

The comparison is about the attitude to finishing or abandoning games when conditions are difficult, irrespective of what sport it is.

Playing to a finish in that Ross County game would have been no more dangerous, or any more of a pantomime than Philadephia v Detroit became.

Playing American football in 8 inches of snow isn't any easier than playing football on a waterlogged pitch, and the snow had a big effect on what both teams were and weren't able to do in the game. It would have been a totally different game in perfect conditions.

We all go home, they adapt and get on with it. There's your comparison, whether it's us or them who've got it right.

Impressively observant.

The comparison is about the attitude to finishing or abandoning games when conditions are difficult, irrespective of what sport it is.

Playing to a finish in that Ross County game would have been no more dangerous, or any more of a pantomime than Philadephia v Detroit became.

Playing American football in 8 inches of snow isn't any easier than playing football on a waterlogged pitch, and the snow had a big effect on what both teams were and weren't able to do in the game. It would have been a totally different game in perfect conditions.

We all go home, they adapt and get on with it. There's your comparison, whether it's us or them who've got it right.

I thought the Philadelphia v Detroit game was indeed a pantomime in the first quarter, unbelievable conditions and I thought they should have taken a 30-45 min break to better clear the lines and give it a chance to ease off. The snow did ease off, and I thought it turned into a right good game with both teams running in great TDs. Massive admiration for all involved.

In general terms, I'm a massive fan of the sport. Go to all the Wembley games and have been to a Redskins v Cowboys game in Washington at FedEx Field... Hence the B&W Army avatar pic! Have done the stadium tours at both the old and new Cowboys stadiums (Wembley is far superior to their new one!), and also the Louisiana Superdome and the home of my favourite team, the Denver Broncos Invesco Field (as it was then) at Mile High.

The Wembley games are the greatest sporting events I've ever been to. Bar none. 85,000 people and a fantastic friendly atmosphere. The build-up is like a Superbowl. A fan rally on Saturday in Trafalgar Square, events all around London, fans in jerseys of all 32 teams in town making a weekend of it, and then the tailgate party and match build-up for four hours pre-game. Bands like Train, Goo Goo Dolls and Tinie Tempah playing live, and the anthems make the hairs on your neck stand up - even Gene Simmons couldn't fcuk-up one of the world's great national anthems (along with the Italian and Welsh anthems IMHO).

If London gets a franchise - I'm getting a season ticket. Wonderful sport.

I thought the Philadelphia v Detroit game was indeed a pantomime in the first quarter, unbelievable conditions and I thought they should have taken a 30-45 min break to better clear the lines and give it a chance to ease off. The snow did ease off, and I thought it turned into a right good game with both teams running in great TDs. Massive admiration for all involved.

In general terms, I'm a massive fan of the sport. Go to all the Wembley games and have been to a Redskins v Cowboys game in Washington at FedEx Field... Hence the B&W Army avatar pic! Have done the stadium tours at both the old and new Cowboys stadiums (Wembley is far superior to their new one!), and also the Louisiana Superdome and the home of my favourite team, the Denver Broncos Invesco Field (as it was then) at Mile High.

The Wembley games are the greatest sporting events I've ever been to. Bar none. 85,000 people and a fantastic friendly atmosphere. The build-up is like a Superbowl. A fan rally on Saturday in Trafalgar Square, events all around London, fans in jerseys of all 32 teams in town making a weekend of it, and then the tailgate party and match build-up for four hours pre-game. Bands like Train, Goo Goo Dolls and Tinie Tempah playing live, and the anthems make the hairs on your neck stand up - even Gene Simmons couldn't fcuk-up one of the world's great national anthems (along with the Italian and Welsh anthems IMHO).

If London gets a franchise - I'm getting a season ticket. Wonderful sport.

Massive game today in Charlotte. Carolina Panthers Vs New Orleans Saints. At stake is the NFC South title and no 2 seed in the play offs.This is the only game in which i cant support the local team. Can't wait. COYS

Massive game today in Charlotte. Carolina Panthers Vs New Orleans Saints. At stake is the NFC South title and no 2 seed in the play offs.This is the only game in which i cant support the local team. Can't wait. COYS

What a finish. What a drive from Cam Newton and the Panthers. Brilliant!