The Commonwealth Games Glasgow 2014

shull

Guest TPAFKATS

NO. Very few companies have a "fair shutdown" nowadays.

Mibees not, but loads of folks are on holiday during that fortnight. It will be more this year due to games. The morning commute isn't likely to be affected too much based on the usual volume of traffic commuting during the fair.

Guest TPAFKATS

Beware.... You may find yourself in bad company.

http://www.vanguardbears.co.uk

One half of the bigot brothers seems to believe the whole wate of time in a cunning plan instigated simply to benefit the other half.

Anything factual and / or controversial in these articles is lost among the paranoia.

Mibees not, but loads of folks are on holiday during that fortnight. It will be more this year due to games. The morning commute isn't likely to be affected too much based on the usual volume of traffic commuting during the fair.

Really? Loads?

You're making that up.

I thought hardly anybody stuck the the ancient "fair fortnight" idea ?

Guest TPAFKATS

Really? Loads?

You're making that up.

I thought hardly anybody stuck the the ancient "fair fortnight" idea ?

No.

We are in the middle of a six week period called the school summer holidays when there are always folk on holiday, therefore less commuting to work. There are also folk off for the games (or just to avoid them).

I used to do the glasgow commute through the tunnel or over kingston bridge every weekday (this was prior to M74 extension opening) - took about 20 minutes with no accidents/breakdowns on motorway during school holidays, Took closer to an hour outwith holiday time and if there was an accident it could be over 90 minutes. I still travel around M8 & M74 a lot just work my diary to avoid rush hour when possible these days.

You stay in the boonies so I understand that you wont be familiar with "rush hour" traffic or congestion that doesn't involve a tractor whistling.gif

A lot of purple signs springing up on the highways and byeways of Glasgow,

Signs specially for the Games.

There are aw in secret code for those that need to know.

Here are three ........

GRN WEST

GRN EAST

GF HOTELS

Naw, i huvnae a clue.

Anybody ?

QMR ?

Almost time, it'll be a great success and showing Glasgow/Scotland in a positive light. thumbup2.gif

Aye this is true after all Edinburghs attempts to muscle in on the limelight with the concert at the castle was hardly a rip roaring success. 3.6m viewers on TV will have concluded like me that Scotland's only musical talent appears to be the SNO; that if Ronnie Corbett and Fred McAuley are the best comedians Scotland has to offer we've lost our sense of humour; and that we're in real trouble if we have to hire a low rent Welsh idiot like Alex Jones to try to hold the show together while the stage gets re-organised.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the music from the comfort of my armchair. I'm just not sure why they tried so desperately to latch this onto the Commonwealth Games. It just made Edinburgh look silly.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Aye this is true after all Edinburghs attempts to muscle in on the limelight with the concert at the castle was hardly a rip roaring success. 3.6m viewers on TV will have concluded like me that Scotland's only musical talent appears to be the SNO; that if Ronnie Corbett and Fred McAuley are the best comedians Scotland has to offer we've lost our sense of humour; and that we're in real trouble if we have to hire a low rent Welsh idiot like Alex Jones to try to hold the show together while the stage gets re-organised.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the music from the comfort of my armchair. I'm just not sure why they tried so desperately to latch this onto the Commonwealth Games. It just made Edinburgh look silly.

I agree the "link" to the Commonwealth Games was tenuous, but the figure of 3.6m viewers is decent for a summer Saturday night.

The "comedy" attempt was poor, poor wee Ronnie had a "Bruce Forsyth" moment, forgetting his lines, not sure who's great idea it was to book him?

As for Alex Jones, a high profile figure who done a decent job, and pretty decent looking into the bargain.

Anyway, all in all, hope it's repeated next year, we'll be there. thumbup2.gif

Nonsense. Hibs, Hearts and the trams make Edinburgh look silly. Look on the bright side though, their pubs are braw' and the pandas are cool. Even though the nation needs them to get shagging and make baby pandas, they're still cool.

Guest TPAFKATS

And why is the Opening Ceremony being held at Celtic Park and not Hampden Park ( The National Stadium ) ?

I think the official reason is that the national stadium has been set up for athletics and this prevents the opening ceremony from being there.

Sellik Park is only being used for the opening ceremony although the club are getting a fairly good deal out of it.

Bluto has already posted a link to the "real" reasons behind it whistling.gif

Guest TPAFKATS

It's bigger.........next daft question? 1eye.gif

bigger capacity for football although they have cut that massively for the opening ceremony. Not sure if hampden would have been cut as much due to the bowl shape although they have also taken a good few rows of seats (around a dozen) out of hampden in order to install the running track.

The opening ceremony is being held at CP because Ibrox has the 7's so they had to restore the "balance." Celtic will be the first team to play on the new hybrid surface at Murrayfield.

Edited by salmonbuddie