The Commonwealth Games Glasgow 2014

shull

Guest TPAFKATS

A well done to murdoch would've been nice, esp as he swam faster than jamieson ever has and was a fraction of a second away from breaking the world record.

A well done to murdoch would've been nice, esp as he swam faster than jamieson ever has and was a fraction of a second away from breaking the world record.

A young lad from my adopted home town, Alexandria! Fantastic achievement.

National anthem has been brilliant. Loved one of the judo girls mouthing "against who" earlier in the day.

Also, England should always use "Jerusalem" instead of GSTQ. Far superior.

I watched the Murdoch / Jamieson heat earlier in the day and the latter looked pretty shook up after losing that. Think he knew it might not be his night.

Edited by Julian Banjos

MoD refuses to let red arrows trail Scotland's colours at opening ceremony

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/scottish-independence/commonwealth-games-2014-mod-refuses-request-to-let-red-arrows-use-scottish-colours-9626937.html

Remember we dont these games to be politicised...

Why are you politicising this thread?

MoD refuses to let red arrows trail Scotland's colours at opening ceremony

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/scottish-independence/commonwealth-games-2014-mod-refuses-request-to-let-red-arrows-use-scottish-colours-9626937.html

Remember we dont these games to be politicised...

what is the problem... those are the colours the Red Arrows always display.

Want the Red Arrows... expect Red White and Blue.

No big deal.

The Yes campaigners are trying to politicise this... nobody else.

what is the problem... those are the colours the Red Arrows always display.

Want the Red Arrows... expect Red White and Blue.

No big deal.

The Yes campaigners are trying to politicise this... nobody else.

I think for the first time ever the host nation's National Anthem was not performed at the opening ceremony, but the British one was. Is that political enough for you?

I think for the first time ever the host nation's National Anthem was not performed at the opening ceremony, but the British one was. Is that political enough for you?

National anthem of UK is fine by me for the Commonwealth games... anything else would be silly or politically motivated!

Glad we avoided that!

WHY IS THIS GUY SHOUTING INTO THE MIC?

A wee 'tache and he could have passed for Hitler!

Couldn't open the baton lol.gif

My daughter (who is 'helping' the officials and dignatories at The Hilton) said the Prince of Malawi "is a lovely man" and that he got a deep 3 inch cut along his hand trying to open it. He hid it from everyone until he got back to the hotel.

I thought it was a good show. Apart from Hazel Irvine and Huw Edwards talking shite over the top of a lot of music. The opening segment was clearly intended to be light hearted, probably a good approach after the mega-budget extravaganza of London 2012. The big screen was superb, and the way they lit the stadium was atmospheric.

Aye, good effort from all. A lot of work went into it, and it went well.

The wee Scottie dogs were good.

Could have done without Subo and Rod as they both proved they cannae haud a note noo, but the rest was very entertaining I thought.

Here's my daughter's view of the ceremony... magnificent!:

10557199_858742914155503_752204680160951

Yeh , I was wondering about that one . Perhaps the owners of Seluc Park had asked for it to be that way , as part of the agreement when they rented the stadium. .

Conversely , what would happen if the Pope was to do an opening ceremony at Stalag 1690. .

National anthem of UK is fine by me for the Commonwealth games... anything else would be silly or politically motivated!

Glad we avoided that!

Don't agree. SCOTLAND are hosting the games, not the UK. There would be no problem if the games were in England and they played Land of Hope and Glory or whathever they use for a standalone England, or if they played Land of my Fathers in Wales, for example.

Don't agree. SCOTLAND are hosting the games, not the UK. There would be no problem if the games were in England and they played Land of Hope and Glory or whathever they use for a standalone England, or if they played Land of my Fathers in Wales, for example.

When it was in England they still stuck with GSOGQ so no need for us to rock the already shakey boat. wink.png

Glad we avoided that!

Glad we avoided that!

Stop being blinkered bud - BOTH sides are getting involved.

TBH I wish they'd all GTF for the next 10 days and give us a few days of peace.

Erm no it's not.

At every Commonwealth Games the Queen is welcomed with the singing of God Save The Queen. It's the Commonwealth Games after all.