The Commonwealth Games Glasgow 2014

shull

Hope it's decent although, no matter what, many will criticise.

Yeah they will because it's the Scottish Disease at its worst.

For the next fortnight they can all f**k right off though.

The country is being swept away in a sea of positivity.

About bloody time TBH.

I don't really have any interest in the games themselves, but I hope all goes well and Glasgow, along with Scotland as a whole, is shown in a positive light.

However, I'm sure that an negative stories will make front page news in the tabloids....................................

Either that or some sad fanny will criticise something like the mascot in an imbecilic manner........................................

Edited by FTOF

I don't really have any interest in the games themselves, but I hope all goes well and Glasgow, along with Scotland as a whole, is shown in a positive light.

However, I'm sure that an negative stories will make front page news in the tabloids....................................

Either that or some sad fanny will criticise something like the mascot in an imbecilic manner........................................

did you see thon warmer on the BBC news last night, talking about a one-hour train delay due to an electrical fault "if they cant get it right today, what will it be like for the rest of the games"

I hate those people

Hoy retired, Jess Ennis up the duff, Cavendish fell aff' his bike, Bolt not bothering with the blue ribband individual event, Johan Blake not turning up, but did when it was the cash rich Diamond League, Dwain Chambers doing the same, he can't be arsed but will run for cash in Switzerland soon, Wiggins only doing a velodrome race....

Thank fcuk for Mo Farah, that's all I can say.

Hope it goes well, and Glasgow / Scotland shines bright.... But as an event? I'm lukewarm at best. Roll on the Ryder Cup.

Edited by pozbaird

did you see thon warmer on the BBC news last night, talking about a one-hour train delay due to an electrical fault "if they cant get it right today, what will it be like for the rest of the games"

I hate those people

No.

However, I can picture the type of person that you are describing.

Hoy retired, Jess Ennis up the duff, Cavendish fell aff' his bike, Bolt not bothering with the blue ribband individual event, Johan Blake not turning up, but did when it was the cash rich Diamond League, Dwain Chambers doing the same, he can't be arsed but will run for cash in Switzerland soon, Wiggins only doing a velodrome race....

Hope it goes well, and Glasgow / Scotland shines bright.... But as an event? I'm lukewarm at best. Roll on the Ryder Cup.

While, if it was a "big name only" event, I would agree but there have been hundreds of world records set at previous Commonwealth Games and I suspect a few more at this one.

It could be seen as naive to say it's only a sporting event, certainly some of the names you mention are a loss, but many new "stars" will emerge, as they have done in the past.

I think this will do Scotland's profile no harm at all and an increase in tourism in the coming few years will be a pleasant result.

Just think, all them nice coffee bars to sit outside and enjoy the surroundings. whistling.gif

Be still my beating heart......................

Be still my beating heart......................

The top players won't blank it, or treat it like a second rate competition. Guys like Poulter and Garcia bleed the Ryder Cup.

Can't wait. The events that attract me more in the Commonwealth games are the bowls and netball etc. The ones that don't feature in the Olympics. I remember watching Willie Wood winning medals. I got right into it, like the curling at the Winter Olympics.

I assume tonight will be the first time the Queen has set foot in Sellik Park? They'll probably shove her behind a pillar and have stewards treat her like shite.

The top players won't blank it, or treat it like a second rate competition. Guys like Poulter and Garcia bleed the Ryder Cup.

Can't wait. The events that attract me more in the Commonwealth games are the bowls and netball etc. The ones that don't feature in the Olympics. I remember watching Willie Wood winning medals. I got right into it, like the curling at the Winter Olympics.

I assume tonight will be the first time the Queen has set foot in Sellik Park? They'll probably shove her behind a pillar and have stewards treat her like shite.

Her Maj & Phill the Greek deserve to be treated like royalty, Just like our fellow Buddies in this Den of Bigotry - God save there Queen and there fellow Bigot Brethren ! punk.gif

Has Betty Windsor ever visited a fitba grun in Glesga afore? Or is this hur first experience, nat?

Wasn't she here for the Jubilee game between a Glasgow select, and erm, someone else? I think I was at that game. I definitely have the programme. The Glasgow team kit incorporated colours from all the Glasgow teams. The match programme was definitely a silver colour with club crests and a pic of Liz Windsor and Chookie Embra.

Edited by pozbaird

Wasn't she here for the Jubilee game between a Glasgow select, and erm, someone else? I think I was at that game. I definitely have the programme. The Glasgow team kit incorporated colours from all the Glasgow teams. The match programme was definitely a silver colour with club crests and a pic of Liz Windsor and Chookie Embra.

Don't recall that, I'm afraid. I'd imagine that was at Hampden so I'd find it quite amusing that she makes an appearance at the San Giro before she makes an appearance at Stalag 1690.

Yeah. They do it for the love of the game....................whistling.gif

Money grabbing athletes are no worse nor better than money grabbing golfers.

Edited by FTOF

Yeah. They do it for the love of the game....................whistling.gif

Money grabbing athletes are no worse nor better than money grabbing golfers.

Well, in the case of the Ryder Cup, it's one event where they do indeed do it for the love of the game, their tour, and to be part of a very rare thing in golf - a true team event.

I'd be hacked off if Rory McIlroy turned up for a European tour event held in, let's say St Andrews, then told everyone he wasn't bothering turning up for the Ryder Cup also in Scotland, a couple of weeks later, like Johan Blake did. Or, if Tiger Woods said he'd take part in the Ryder Cup, but only for the final singles matches on the Sunday. Like Usain Bolt.

It seems the players are not all seeing things the same as some would have us believe...............

“At some point the players might say, ‘You know what? We’re not doing this anymore, because this is ridiculous’,” said Mahan. “Mickelson and Tiger – their time is worth money. Is it an honour to play?Yes, it is. But time is valuable.This is a business.”
The "pressure" to play for no personal profit (Each American player is "paid" $200,000 with half going to charity & the other half to a college development programme) will very soon be overcome this airy fairy idea of playing for the love of the game.
In 2002 Woods was asked whether he would be happier winning the $1million on offer at Mount Juliet in Ireland that week or the forthcoming Ryder Cup. He chose Mount Juliet and said: “Why? I can think of a million reasons.”
Aye, for the love of the game right enough.

Back on topic.................the atmosphere is building, hope it all goes well.

Everyone Scottish should be proud and enjoy, some things might not be perfect but it'll be Scottish and it'll be a resounding success.

World records, gold medals and some tears.

C'mon Scotland. thumbup2.gif

... Indeed, but Hunter Mahan can fcuk off and stay away.

Well, in the case of the Ryder Cup, it's one event where they do indeed do it for the love of the game, their tour, and to be part of a very rare thing in golf - a true team event.

I'd be hacked off if Rory McIlroy turned up for a European tour event held in, let's say St Andrews, then told everyone he wasn't bothering turning up for the Ryder Cup also in Scotland, a couple of weeks later, like Johan Blake did. Or, if Tiger Woods said he'd take part in the Ryder Cup, but only for the final singles matches on the Sunday. Like Usain Bolt.

I'm sure the fact that their sponsors will reward them generously for getting into the team will have nothing to do with it.

Didn't Rory McIlroy not bother to enter the Scottish Open for five years?

Golfers pick and choose their tournaments to suit themselves just like many athletes.

I'm sure the fact that their sponsors will reward them generously for getting into the team will have nothing to do with it.

Didn't Rory McIlroy not bother to enter the Scottish Open for five years?

Golfers pick and choose their tournaments to suit themselves just like many athletes.

McIlroy also said the Ryder Cup was a pile of keech (I paraphrase), when he was younger.

A lot has changed in sport. Golf included. In football, players these days get paid for playing for Scotland for example. Like the Ryder Cup though, I'm sure guys like Kenny Miller and Darren Fletcher pulled on that dark blue shirt for reasons not directly related to the appearance money.

In bringing the argument round to the Commonwealth Games, my opinion is that some of the bigger names are clearly treating it as some sort of second rate event, whereas they'll turn out for the cash Diamond League, or definitely the Olympics.

On topic though - the weather is unbelieveable, the organisation seems to be well taken care of, and Scotland will host a great games.... despite my misgivings about the attitude towards them of some athletes.

Home from work early.

Sitting comfortably, eating Chicken & Tatties and waiting patiently for the Opening Ceremony.

Should be a fantastic occasion.

COME ON SCOTLAND !!!