Ebola

Was a bit surprised to read 750 British troops are being deployed in Serra Leone to help with the Ebola outbreak this a virus that has wiped out thousands so far.

The risks are 'low' say the MOD. Have worked in West Africa for more than 10 years including logistics I would say the risks are high given hygiene in this part of the world is extremely low , pray none of the army catch this deadly virus which has the potential to be like the black plague if it were to spread around the world.

Was a bit surprised to read 750 British troops are being deployed in Serra Leone to help with the Ebola outbreak this a virus that has wiped out thousands so far.The risks are 'low' say the MOD. Have worked in West Africa for more than 10 years including logistics I would say the risks are high given hygiene in this part of the world is extremely low , pray none of the army catch this deadly virus which has the potential to be like the black plague if it were to spread around the world.

The whole point of deploying the troops is because they are medically trained (and being further trained in dealing specifically with Ebola), so that they can contribute to preventing the disease reaching further than it already has.

It's about time the developed world helped out.

The whole point of deploying the troops is because they are medically trained (and being further trained in dealing specifically with Ebola), so that they can contribute to preventing the disease reaching further than it already has.

It's about time the developed world helped out.

Tell you what Bluto I hold an advanced first aid certificate and no way would you get me going down there. Even a nurse in Spain has higher training than the troops on the ground have and she still caught it inside a hospital ward. Other western nurses in West Africa have also caught it. Sending medical teams voluntary is one thing. Sending 17 year old squaddies is quite another.

It's NOT just young squaddies.

They are NOT going in just as soldiers.

If you'd read what I posted you would perhaps have understood that.

I ALSO have had medical training and in the Seventies, I volunteered to be flown into Abu Dhabi in the midst of a typhoid outbreak. (The plane stopped. I was the only one - with permission - to get out), but I have no idea what your medical knowledge nor mine contributes to the fact the skilled, disciplined, trained humans are going in to help deal with a tragic human situation that affects us all.

It's NOT just young squaddies.

They are NOT going in just as soldiers.

If you'd read what I posted you would perhaps have understood that.

I ALSO have had medical training and in the Seventies, I volunteered to be flown into Abu Dhabi in the midst of a typhoid outbreak. (The plane stopped. I was the only one - with permission - to get out), but I have no idea what your medical knowledge nor mine contributes to the fact the skilled, disciplined, trained humans are going in to help deal with a tragic human situation that affects us all.

Tony got it right. Bluto yes there are British army medical teams going we all know that. What I'm saying is squades are being put on the ground. It can take up to 21 days for this virus to surface. Within that time period the virus can be spread to others without anyone knowing the carrier has it. My own opinion is we should not be sending none medical staff into this area it's not bloody Abu Dhabi it's a 10,000 times worse hygiene wise.

IOB Saint has heard it's £1 an hour - what's that got to do with the thread ?

I will be proved right on that subject.

Tony got it right. Bluto yes there are British army medical teams going we all know that. What I'm saying is squades are being put on the ground. It can take up to 21 days for this virus to surface. Within that time period the virus can be spread to others without anyone knowing the carrier has it. My own opinion is we should not be sending none medical staff into this area it's not bloody Abu Dhabi it's a 10,000 times worse hygiene wise.IOB Saint has heard it's £1 an hour - what's that got to do with the thread ?I will be proved right on that subject.

Sigh....

To contain it in Africa requires as much help as possible. Aid to Sierra Leone and nearby countries has been cut year on year. They are impoverished countries, they do not have disciplined, trained, standing armies capable of doing what UK troops are now being sent in to do - help try contain the disease.

The squaddies are going to set up medical camps, quarantine zones etc... And they will all be well aware of the risks and how they can control those risks.

Your opinion about non-medical staff is worthless, as I suggested mine was.

Ebola needs to be contained in Africa. It can be contained with the help of countries with trained, disciplined people available to do so. If not UK personnel, who do you suggest would better placed to do the job!?

Edited by bluto

Sigh....

To contain it in Africa requires as much help as possible. Aid to Sierra Leone and nearby countries has been cut year on year. They are impoverished countries, they do not have disciplined, trained, standing armies capable of doing what UK troops are one being sent in to help try contain the disease.

The squaddies are going to set up medical camps, quarantine zones etc... And they will all be well aware of the risks and how they can control those risks.

Your opinion about non-medical staff is worthless, as I suggested mine was.

Ebola needs to be contained in Africa. It can be contained with the help of countries with trained, disciplined people available to do so. If not UK personnel, who do you suggest would better placed to do the job!?

It's a world problem therefore the United Nations should be leading the way both personal and financially rather that the UK which has debt up to it's eye balls I understand

It's a world problem therefore the United Nations should be leading the way both personal and financially rather that the UK which has debt up to it's eye balls I understand

No.

You don't understand.

I give up.

AnyBuddie else want to play with IOB Saint?

Guest TPAFKATS

Just to clarify I wasnt objecting to medical teams going in to contain and treat at source in Africa. GB feels a wee bit more compulsion to help here due to Sierra Leone being in Commonwealth.

My concern in my previous post was that non african's have been getting flown to Europe and US for treatment, I understand why however its not best practice for containment.

I am also a wee bit concerned about how we quarantine these army chaps once they are ready to return home after their upcoming "tour", but I'm sure there's a plan in place for that.

Tell you what Bluto I hold an advanced first aid certificate and no way would you get me going down there. Even a nurse in Spain has higher training than the troops on the ground have and she still caught it inside a hospital ward. Other western nurses in West Africa have also caught it. Sending medical teams voluntary is one thing. Sending 17 year old squaddies is quite another.

It'smaybe not as simple as that, Ian. i think the bulk of our support are field medical and experienced relief staff-the ones on the news today semed very happy to go and very focussed on their objective

given that we have to do something, these guys seem the best people for the job

ffs for sure you don't understand this is a world problem. Now what organization was set up for world problems. Hint it's written a couple of posts back.

Ian, I'd give up on this one if I were you. Don't you know you're arguing against the Genius of the World, the most knowledgeable human being who ever lived....? shutup.gif

The mechanisms for infection are very different so I don't think ebola does have the potential to be quite like the plague.

Why let the facts get in the way of a Daily Mail fuelled rant.

Ebola has killed 670 people from a population of 290million. It is hardly at the stage of being the most deadly virus ever.

According to W.H.O. malaria killed 627,000 people in 2012 alone. Over 80% of those were children. Why are the press not letting the public be aware of these facts. Remember SARS & Bird Flu they were going to wipe us all out.

Edited by Gruffalo

Why let the facts get in the way of a Daily Mail fuelled rant.

Ebola has killed 670 people from a population of 290million. It is hardly at the stage of being the most deadly virus ever.

According to W.H.O. malaria killed 627,000 people in 2012 alone. Over 80% of those were children. Why are the press not letting the public be aware of these facts. Remember SARS & Bird Flu they were going to wipe us all out.

Exactly . .

More people die on a day-to-day basis from TB (a disease people still seem to get in this country ) than die of Ebola , in Africa alone.

The plague was so virulent back in the middle ages due to the filth that Europeans lived in back then , the kind of filth that still exists in Africa. .