St Mirren V Livingston League Cup 2Nd Round 25/8/15

shull

th

Last time Thommo had a shot

Was the ball ever found again?

For the type of football we played last night Thommo did ok, unfortunately (again) he is winning balls in the air, making knock downs and flick-ons but there is no-one around about him to feed off any good work he does. There is way too big a gap between midfield and our main (in some cases "only") striker.

We are really struggling for leaders on the park right now and when Goodwin went off the midfield was silent.............I may be in a minority but I felt Goody really let us down last night, I thought his early yellow was deserved (and stupid) and although Livi were obviously at it with their constant badgering of the ref Goodwin kept getting himself into situations where the ref had decisions to make. It could be argued that, for the last foul at least, the ref did us a favour by not sending him off and allowing us to make a sub before being down to 10. We need Goodwin for his drive and commitment but we don't need the nonsense that comes with it, he's old enough to have sussed that out by now.

Once Jim had left the scene we were left with Langfield (our furthest back player) and Thompson (our furthest forward player) as the only vocal players on the park with 60 yards of silence, and no organisation, in between. Agnew may be a talker but as it was a defensive change required then he was never the answer to Goodwin going off.

Webster, or someone of that ilk, is a must from a leadership and organisational perspective or we will really struggle to be strategically sound in any games we play but from a positive side if Goodwin can screw the nut we could have Langfield, Webster, Goodwin and Thompson right through the middle of our team communicating and organising and at least giving us some structure to our play.

For the type of football we played last night Thommo did ok, unfortunately (again) he is winning balls in the air, making knock downs and flick-ons but there is no-one around about him to feed off any good work he does. There is way too big a gap between midfield and our main (in some cases "only") striker.

We are really struggling for leaders on the park right now and when Goodwin went off the midfield was silent.............I may be in a minority but I felt Goody really let us down last night, I thought his early yellow was deserved (and stupid) and although Livi were obviously at it with their constant badgering of the ref Goodwin kept getting himself into situations where the ref had decisions to make. It could be argued that, for the last foul at least, the ref did us a favour by not sending him off and allowing us to make a sub before being down to 10. We need Goodwin for his drive and commitment but we don't need the nonsense that comes with it, he's old enough to have sussed that out by now.

Once Jim had left the scene we were left with Langfield (our furthest back player) and Thompson (our furthest forward player) as the only vocal players on the park with 60 yards of silence, and no organisation, in between. Agnew may be a talker but as it was a defensive change required then he was never the answer to Goodwin going off.

Webster, or someone of that ilk, is a must from a leadership and organisational perspective or we will really struggle to be strategically sound in any games we play but from a positive side if Goodwin can screw the nut we could have Langfield, Webster, Goodwin and Thompson right through the middle of our team communicating and organising and at least giving us some structure to our play.

I don't think Goodwin can screw the nut and I think Murray's opinion of him went downhill last night (and i don't think it was that high to begin with). Goody can win tackles and break up play but his temperament is dodgy and his distribution is awful, injuries permitting I don't think Goody will be in the starting line up again.

And not that it would have made a difference but.............

Did the 4th official not hold up a board telling us there was 8 mins injury time?

Why did the ref only play 4 mins?

It was to show 8 minutes over the regulation 45.

My stopwatch showed that he blew his whistle at 52 minutes and 47 secs.

The 8 minutes don't start when he restarts the game after the criminal assault on our player.

He was 13 secs short on his 8 minutes.

Indeed there were 2 separate Livi substitutions made after the board showed the 8 and therefore the ref should have added 2 lots of 30 seconds to his 8 minutes.

The ref should have been looking to play 9 minutes over the 45. He played 7 minutes 47 seconds.

The referee was technically very poor.

I never understand why managers berate the 4th official. That's what the referees hope managers do instead of having a go at the decision maker on the field.

If I was a manager I would tell a forth official to go away as he is not a decision maker.

Ruin whatever low self esteem these guys have when they are 4th choice in a team of numpties.

I don't think Goodwin can screw the nut and I think Murray's opinion of him went downhill last night (and i don't think it was that high to begin with). Goody can win tackles and break up play but his temperament is dodgy and his distribution is awful, injuries permitting I don't think Goody will be in the starting line up again.

Mykey, we have hunners injured. Goodwin did more than most of the entire team in the short time he was on. The midfield was over run leaving him exposed. After he left Carswell came on and eh did nothing.

Mykey, we have hunners injured. Goodwin did more than most of the entire team in the short time he was on. The midfield was over run leaving him exposed. After he left Carswell came on and eh did nothing.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you say here Kendo, and I did say "injuries permitting" but what I am saying is we should stop waiting for Goody to "screw the nut" because it aint going to happen and that I don't think Murray will give him a starting berth (again injuries permitting). I have praised Goodwin's tackling and breaking up of play, however his distribution is rank and his discipline is worse and, as he gets slower with age and more tackles get mistimed it's probably better to start with Agnew and Carswell in the 2 holding positions.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you say here Kendo, and I did say "injuries permitting" but what I am saying is we should stop waiting for Goody to "screw the nut" because it aint going to happen and that I don't think Murray will give him a starting berth (again injuries permitting). I have praised Goodwin's tackling and breaking up of play, however his distribution is rank and his discipline is worse and, as he gets slower with age and more tackles get mistimed it's probably better to start with Agnew and Carswell in the 2 holding positions.

I agree totally with your assessment on Goodwin, however Carswell did nothing last night when he was brought on in his place. I don't think we have a strong enough midfield without Goodwin.