More Freeloaders Announced.

Callum Gilhooley

No amount of hard work will persuade people to buy your product.

No amount of hard work could have controlled the global meltdown and subsequent worldwide depression.

No amount of hard work can stop a global shortage of semiconductors followed by a catastrophic collapse in price overnight which caused those who had bought at peak prices to go bust.

No amount of hard work could have prevented the companies involved in vaccuum tube technology from going bust when semiconductors arrived.

No amount of hard work could have protected the music industry from the invention of the internet and the subsequent collapse in product value (not that I'm complaining).

The list is endless.

AND the reason why hard work is not remotely enough to guarantee success?

Because in business there are huge numbers of variables which cannot be controlled.

To suggest that hard work simply makes these variables bow to your will is plainly stupid.

Dickson has never run a business in his life.

No successful businessman ever sells up a thriving business and goes back to being a wage slave to another person.

What a load of shite.

First off, in every one of your examples anyone that knew their business would have seen the future coming. FFS even Vince Cable was able to see the Global Financial Meltdown coming more than 2 years in advance of it happening. Indeed the likes of Robert Peston was never off Breakfast Time as he talked about figures showing that personal debt was too high, that banks were struggling to raise finance, and that the sub prime mortgage market was hugely dangerous. I was told in 2004 by a lowly business banker working for Lloyds TSB that some banks had stopped lending to each other as they'd worked out there was more profit for them if instead of covering each others debts they lent the money out to the consumer themselves. I was warned that this would lead to some banks going bankrupt. I had no concept of the size of the crash that was coming, but there was more than enough information around to suggest that one was coming and that it was likely to be a sore one. The reason the likes of RBS and Goodwin got caught out was they had become complacent. It was all about size and they wanted to be the biggest.

Most that have been on here long enough will remember my business. Several on here were even my customers. :rolleyes:

What a load of shite.

First off, in every one of your examples anyone that knew their business would have seen the future coming. FFS even Vince Cable was able to see the Global Financial Meltdown coming more than 2 years in advance of it happening. Indeed the likes of Robert Peston was never off Breakfast Time as he talked about figures showing that personal debt was too high, that banks were struggling to raise finance, and that the sub prime mortgage market was hugely dangerous. I was told in 2004 by a lowly business banker working for Lloyds TSB that some banks had stopped lending to each other as they'd worked out there was more profit for them if instead of covering each others debts they lent the money out to the consumer themselves. I was warned that this would lead to some banks going bankrupt. I had no concept of the size of the crash that was coming, but there was more than enough information around to suggest that one was coming and that it was likely to be a sore one. The reason the likes of RBS and Goodwin got caught out was they had become complacent. It was all about size and they wanted to be the biggest.

Most that have been on here long enough will remember my business. Several on here were even my customers. rolleyes.gif

Hard work and clairvoyancy are now officially the required attributes of a successful business.

You heard it hear first lol.gif .

I always knew that Dorothy Stokes and her likes were onto something other than blatant fraud.

They were simply following good business practice.

No hang on. Dicky is correct about his business.

This'll be that laughable pup he tried to flog to Gilmour who sensibly showed him the door whilst stifling barks of laughter.

It's the root cause of his anti-Saints rhetoric which has persisted to this day.

How could I have forgotten that.

Doh!

Hard work and clairvoyancy are now officially the required attributes of a successful business.

You heard it hear first lol.gif .

I always knew that Dorothy Stokes and her likes were onto something other than blatant fraud.

They were simply following good business practice.

You make me laugh. On one hand you claim to be a "top scientist" and then on the next you decry market research and knowledge as clairvoyancy and you claim a "successful business" is more about the rabbits paw in your man bag and about avoiding cracks in the pavement. If I was looking to invest some of the proceeds of my business earnings it certainly wouldn't be in you :rolleyes: Edited by Stuart Dickson

This'll be that laughable pup he tried to flog to Gilmour who sensibly showed him the door whilst stifling barks of laughter.

You should have persisted with the canine analogy.

But I guess I'm barking up the wrong tree cos you can't teach old dogs new tricks...

Herr Dixon does what he can to keep the wolf from the door.

No hang on. Dicky is correct about his business.

It's the root cause of his anti-Saints rhetoric which has persisted to this day.

Doh!

You failed to mention the presence of a couple of members of the local constabulary. wink.png

You make me laugh. On one hand you claim to be a "top scientist" and then on the next you decry market research and knowledge as clairvoyancy and you claim a "successful business" is more about the rabbits paw in your man bag and about avoiding cracks in the pavement. If I was looking to invest some of the proceeds of my business earnings it certainly wouldn't be in you :rolleyes:

on a serious note, call me picky but i wouldnt want to do business with a man so f**king stupid that he bad mouths a potential customer in public and then walks into his boardroom and tries to sell him a shitty phone app and is then astonished at being told to piss off by the said potential customer.

Did i mention that trust was one of the biggest parts of a successful business?

Shame you seem not to have learned that or youd still be running your business today.

You failed to mention the presence of a couple of members of the local constabulary. wink.png

That's because it didn't happen. The guests that day were me, Stewart Gilmour, Bryan McAusland and a bank manager from the Clydesdale Bank called Evie McDonald. There was never any police on site.

on a serious note, call me picky but i wouldnt want to do business with a man so f**king stupid that he bad mouths a potential customer in public and then walks into his boardroom and tries to sell him a shitty phone app and is then astonished at being told to piss off by the said potential customer.

Did i mention that trust was one of the biggest parts of a successful business?

Shame you seem not to have learned that or youd still be running your business today.

Oh FFS rolleyes.gif You really don't have a clue do you?

1. I wasn't selling Gilmour anything. I was offering to donate a share of the profits of a business that was beginning to take off, to the club for absolutely nothing in return. He said in the meeting I was a loose cannon and he'd never work with me. I've no problem with that. It certainly didn't harm my business. In the end it just meant I got to keep that share of the profits for myself.

2. The website that had caused Gilmour to be upset with me was getting good traffic at a time when internet advertising was actually worth a lot of money. The number of subscribers to the business was already healthy. I'd signed up a lot of the biggest unofficial football websites in the country and was negotiating with a number of large clubs in the UK about being an official supplier. What the meeting did for me was it gave me a credibility amongst Scottish Football fans that money couldn't buy. The rubbish that was being written about it - police being involved, inside information, the release of confidential banking details, etc - all gave me much more credibility than the story should ever have got. What I also found was that the more annoyed people got with me, the more subscribers I got and the more my web traffic increased - and the more offers I got from other webmasters to write for this sites.

3. it wasn't a phone app. If it was I'd have been pretty f**king awesome. This was the era when digital phones were a rarity and smart phones were still some 9 years away. it was an era when people paid for their internet and then paid the telephone call charges to dial the ISP to connect to the internet. I had done my research though. I knew WAP was coming and that behind that was 3G and 4G. I also knew that a Swiss company had been negotiating with Football Associations to send live video of goals immediately after they'd been scored.

4. Some years later, after I'd sold up Campbell Kennedy invited me to meet with him again to talk about setting up the same text messaging service. Nothing came of that meeting. Then many more years later -with smartphones in everyones pocket - St Mirren finally launched a text messaging service that was identical to what I'd offered a share of 10 years earlier. I guess someone at St Mirren must have regretted not having got on board much much earlier since they clearly still thought it was a good idea. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Stuart Dickson

And that, folks, is how you, too, can become a multi-millionaire, just like StuD.

20 odd years to make something credible up and that's what he comes up with. He forgets that I observed his business acumen online at that time , before coming to the conclusion that he was a clueless buffoon with delusions of adequacy. Edited by FTOF

20 odd years to make something credible up and that's what he comes up with. He forgets that I observed his business acumen online at that time , before coming to the conclusion that he was a clueless buffoon with delusions of adequacy.

Fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion but you make my point well for me. Even this clueless buffoon with delusions of adequacy could start up a business, make profit and sell up on the back of simple hard work. You don't need to be a "top scientist" with all the research skills of a dyslexic pensioner on Google relying on his rabbits foot to be successful. You just need to work hard.

Tom Hunter sold tracksuits and trainers. Tom Farmer sold tyres and exhausts. You don't have to be clever to make it work, you simply need to be prepared to work hard.

The rubbish that was being written about it - ... the release of confidential banking details,

Actually happened and was posted on line. Many of us saw it and were gobsmacked at your uncontrolable idiocy. And I'm sure there are those on this forum can confirm this situation.

That's because it didn't happen. The guests that day were me, Stewart Gilmour, Bryan McAusland and a bank manager from the Clydesdale Bank called Evie McDonald. There was never any police on site.

No legal presence called to deal with someone who blatantly broke the law? My, what a magnanimous gentleman Stewart Gilmour can be at times. wink.png

Fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion but you make my point well for me. Even this clueless buffoon with delusions of adequacy could start up a business, make profit and sell up on the back of simple hard work. You don't need to be a "top scientist" with all the research skills of a dyslexic pensioner on Google relying on his rabbits foot to be successful. You just need to work hard.

Tom Hunter sold tracksuits and trainers. Tom Farmer sold tyres and exhausts. You don't have to be clever to make it work, you simply need to be prepared to work hard.

i seriously suggest you look into the history of how those two made their fortunes before you start talking about simple hard work being required.

So, are you saying that:-

1. Everyone that works hard is going to "make it"?

2. Everyone that doesn't work hard isn't going to "make it"?

3. Everyone that has "made it" has worked hard?

4. Everyone that hasn't "made it" hasn't worked hard?

That's just total bunkum.

i winder why they dont teach these four simple rules in any business course in the world.

you could churn out business graduates in less than 15 minutes.

Actually happened and was posted on line. Many of us saw it and were gobsmacked at your uncontrolable idiocy. And I'm sure there are those on this forum can confirm this situation.

No legal presence called to deal with someone who blatantly broke the law? My, what a magnanimous gentleman Stewart Gilmour can be at times. wink.png

See this is the nonsense I talk about. I hadn't broken any laws. I didn't work for a bank. I had no access to confidential banking information and I had nothing to base my post on the St Mirren guestbook on other than a bit of gossip, rumour and innuendo heard in a Clydebank pub on a Friday afternoon drinking session. If you remember the post that got me "into trouble" was that I claimed that the transfer of Burton O'Brien and David McNamee and paid off St Mirren's banking overdraft. Gilmour and the man from the Clydesdale Bank confirmed to me at that meeting that wasn't the case. St Mirren were still very much in debt at that time and that the Clydesdale Bank would prefer that St Mirren operate with a overdraft of less than £250,000.

What had got Gilmour fired up was that at that time the club had to negotiate with the Clydesdale Bank not to use the transfer funds to reduce the clubs overdraft facility but to instead allow those funds to be used to repay Barr Construction. Gilmour felt that my post was "too accurate" to have come from gossip or rumour. In reality my post was completely and utterly inaccurate. St Mirren hadn't repaid their banking overdraft and the club was still very much in debt - a situation that remained until Love Street was sold. For some reason people like you believed there was more to the story than that though and in a bizarre way that - I believe - enhanced the credibility of the of what I was doing in business, especially when the whole incident kept being dragged out again and again on the old First Division Forum that pre-dated Pie and Bovril and where fans of clubs right across Scotland could see St Mirren fans like you repeatedly bring this up every time I criticised the way the club was being run.

i seriously suggest you look into the history of how those two made their fortunes before you start talking about simple hard work being required.

I know about how those two made their fortunes. I particularly know Tom Farmers story very well indeed. And I'll tell you what, if you think Farmer in particular needed to graduate from university to make his fortune you are even more moronic than I assumed. :rolleyes: