So Farewell Then... Ian Murray

I have to agree with Ned. There has been plenty said about DL in the past and how badly he was treated by both the Club and the supporters.

Many said that he had not kicked on and in fact his tactics had become so predictable that teams could read us long before they ever ran onto the pitch with Saints. I can see that argument.

Saints don't have a history of keeping managers for long periods. They either fail and get shunted, or they move on to pastures new and up the tree a bit.

Despite what is currently happening at present on the park, I would like to see IM get more time! I've been here before with Saints in a transitional period.................... it's the nature of the beast I'm afraid!

The gamble failed spectacularly. We were a stable top flight club with Danny in charge.

The board were too cheap to sack Danny, which led to the ludicrous situation of us releasing the manager that finished 8th in the top flight from his contract.

Since then we have gone through two managers and soon to be a third.

Quite an expensive mistake. But you reap what you sow I suppose.

Oh imrie the guy still staring in the spfl top division for accies scored again at the weekend mooy who didn't fit into our shambolic style of play or non play who is also starring back in Australia right now which I watch live every Saturday morning he gets at least couple dozen mentions a game of not a half but apparently not good enough for us the board have penny pinched and still do always the cheap option as manager always the one year contract show some frigging ambition. They want to sell us but as every passing games and every passing season our stock falls they have a a fair few offers but still declined and still not put more into it they couldn't give a toss for the supporters and albeit a different subject the new season kits spring to mind utterly shambolic

I'm not sure the penny pinching is entirely true. By the time Danny left he had already drawn down on the next season's playing budget and that left Tommy Craig and then Gary Teale with very little to work with. The amount Danny threw away on the likes of Imrie, Grainger and others, even Mooy commanded a fee of around 50K, was just impossible for us to sustain. Craig was a disaster, but had Wylde just knocked the ball inside even once against Motherwell on the opening day then it could have been different as we absolutely bombarded them that day. Lord Goodwin could have tried missing a few less games also. Everyone around our level of budget is much the same, we just won't get a manager from a decent level to come to us and there's as much chance of Calderwood working without money as there was of Murray working at all.

I'll say again that not one person could have imagined Murray's tenure to date would have been as bad as it's been. He also has had, in my opinion, a decent budget to work with for Championship level. We've got old firm kids, a lad with a fair amount of experience at Motherwell, two with International experience, very decent attacking midfielder who should have pushed on and even the Burnley lads had the potential to have developed by being around better players down there. That said, if Conlan wasn't with us then he'd no doubt be playing for Gateshead or Telford.

Ironically both Imrie and Grainger scored last gasp equalisers for their respective teams at the weekend. Grainger's was a cracker!

There were other issues but for obvious reasons I am not going to post them on an open forum. No offence taken my friend and sometimes there is more behind certain decisions we never know if hear about. As for Danny, the football we endured was poor at times while he wasted a lot of money on rank signings over several seasons. Who knows whether we would still be in the top league or not but the slide began while Danny was in charge.

So you dont know of any other reason other than the board werent going to pay him the same, and sought out a cheaper option.

Are you really that daft? Read my first sentence.

there were issues that nedflanders knows all about but nobody else does so we have to take ned's word that danny had to go. also there were very good reasons why TC had to be appointed but again only nedflanders knew what they were. the rest of us just have to know our place and keep our mouths shut.

there were issues that nedflanders knows all about but nobody else does so we have to take ned's word that danny had to go. also there were very good reasons why TC had to be appointed but again only nedflanders knew what they were. the rest of us just have to know our place and keep our mouths shut.

Seriously Mikey? Just because I am asked to keep certain information in confidence you take umbrage because I won't post the reasonsfor this on a public forum? While I have every confidence in the source I would not divulge personal information for obvious reasons. Furthermore, you don't need me to explain why TC was sacked.

Edited by nedflanders123

Seriously Mikey? Just because I am asked to keep certain information in confidence you take umbrage because I won't post the reasonsfor this on a public forum? While I have every confidence in the source I would not divulge personal information for obvious reasons. Furthermore, you don't need me to explain why TC was sacked.

Tbh what do you expect? You "know" the real reason Danny was let go, but you can't say why. Everyone should just take your word for it?

Like Mykey said, if you aren't willing to say what you "know", then why allude to such a thing in the first place.

Tbh what do you expect? You "know" the real reason Danny was let go, but you can't say why. Everyone should just take your word for it?

Like Mykey said, if you aren't willing to say what you "know", then why allude to such a thing in the first place.

My point was that there were other alleged reasons Danny was not given a new contract. As I said previously, there are a number of issues behind the scenes that we seldom if ever hear about when it comes to managers or players leaving a club.

Thats about the size of it Mykey!

When Ned-i-Lee, Ded-i-Lee pronounces, the die is cast.

I'm merely pointing out that the inclusion of "i know something you don't know but i'm not telling you" detracts from your argument rather than enforcing it. furthermore everybody knows why TC was sacked if you read my post I alluded to his appointment not his sacking.

My main point is this - When the Newcastle fans were calling for Pardew's sacking when they were in the top half of the English premiership I said to my son that they should be careful what they wished for and it's the same for saints fans who said Danny's time was up. Highest league finish since the eighties (twice) and a national trophy how does that sound to you now ?

ETA - not to mention the respect he should to saints fans in interviews even when results weren't going his way. that sound good now ?

Edited by Mykey

Maybe we, as Saints supporters, expect too much.

We as a club occasionally rise up towards the sun. We perform on a higher stage briefly then the supporters demand more and the team reaches for the sun and gets burnt. The wax melts, the feathers fall off and we tumble down quickly and given the internet stage that is available to them the supporters who called for more, voice their well-informed opinion with much force and knowledge that change must be implemented.

(That by the way is not a further jibe at the power of the internet, the ill-informed buying public nor the armchair critic, it is merely a passing thought that maybe we aim too high!)

Maybe we, as Saints supporters, expect too much.

We as a club occasionally rise up towards the sun. We perform on a higher stage briefly then the supporters demand more and the team reaches for the sun and gets burnt. The wax melts, the feathers fall off and we tumble down quickly and given the internet stage that is available to them the supporters who called for more, voice their well-informed opinion with much force and knowledge that change must be implemented.

(That by the way is not a further jibe at the power of the internet, the ill-informed buying public nor the armchair critic, it is merely a passing thought that maybe we aim too high!)

Really - it is too much for St. Mirren to expect to be a Premier league side or be capable of a reasonable challenge in the big cups?

Take a look at all those much bigger clubs above us in both leagues. Morton, Hamilton, Partick Thistle, Queen of the South etc. etc.

We are seriously under performing as a football club - and have been for some time.

Sadly though the Board is intransigent and want out, and too many fans will put up with this cra*p and think it is not great but ought we to expect better?

We are managing decline seriously badly - we need to invest in growth!!

St. Mirren are punching way below their level - any good managers (Directors included) would take the corrective action, and should have long before now.

Actions much more effective than words - IF the BOD don't act soon - no doubt the fans will boycott games (Some have been staying away already)

I genuinely want our team to perform better, to play at the best level they can and sustain that level, but the supporters want more even if we finish 8th in the PL, win a cup or even win two games in a row!

Unfortunately I have been here before with the team in the late 60's and early 70's. My God that was a long road and it was a long time ago. Turgid football at times!

Gus McPherson is the only Manager to last anything over 4 years at the club since 1960.

What that maybe suggests is that the Club has never had the patience to stick with a Manager (maybe Ferguson excepted) and see it through a sticky period. An average of little over 2 years per Manager over a 54 year period................... who the hell wants that job, when in most circumstances they fail and can't get another job at the same level?

Maybe it's a combination of expecting more as Paisley had been the 5th largest town / city in our small country for almost that entire period and that stat alone may have engendered optimism that we expect better. Or maybe we think we should be able to tilt at the windmills and occasionally win that battle.

Maybe I'm just too old and sanguine, as I said, maybe we expect too much.