Cult Fillums

On 10/9/2021 at 8:39 AM, StanleySaint said:

Saw it last night, rip roaring action from start to finish, fitting end to Craig's tenure which I have enjoyed enormously. Who's next then?

Then…

… for you, it’s got to be the new Top Gun/Maverick - and see it on the biggest screen that you can.

Amazing.  I didnae fancy it, wisnae seduced decades ago by the first one, but this is a corker of a film.

A storyline (same as Dambusters) which we get drummed into the possible crews heads (as well as ours) and we learn that for it to work - at least two miracles need to happen.

Tom Cruise is the Maverick miracle worker, at 60 yo, training a younger generation of Top Guns.

There are other story lines, adding interest, complexity and personal stuff.  It's witty, funny and, ( being an Amurrikan film), sometimes slumping into sentimental and nationalistic emotion.

but it never stops moving, changing and driving towards its blockbuster finale.

very satisfactory night out.   :)

I liked it.

ps some reviews that I read note that there is no specified baddie nation that USA is “having to attack”, but I distinctly heard twice that the goal was to “take out an Iranian nuclear enrichment installation”.

Not Russian, not Chinese.  Wouldn’t want to annoy the censors of a movie-watching nation, after all.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Went to see Living this evening.

Bill Nighy playing for an Oscar (but likely an Academy Award).  Hers acting his socks off, but VERY restrained.  The whole movie feels repressed….

it’s a rehash of Kurosawa’s 1952 fillum, Ikiru, written by Kazio Ishiguro and set in 50s London.

it gets great reviews.  It’s ok.  More like a wee tv thing than a movie for me. Quite interesting.

• 6 months later...

Did AnyBuddie go to the last Glasgow Film Festival and see…

…TYPIST ARTIST PIRATE KING?

I believe it’s been picked up for a general release and have read a few good reviews.  Looks witty.

if ye saw it - what’s yer thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, antrin said:

It's a popular title for fillums.

Any sign of it getting interest for general release?

Good for yer lad.  Any exposure is a bonus in that line of work.  I’ll look out for it.  :)

It's more likely to get an airing on a TV channel post-watershed.  His profile is starting to pick up now, he made a movie with these guys (my son is the one in the baby oil) Channel Hex - YouTube which is looking better than expected and will be getting touted for movie channels once the sequel is in the can and is also in talks with the BBC around a series he has written set in a Glasgow blues bar that he would also feature in.  The BBC are picking up the tab for script and character development over the summer so there are hopes for some real traction out of that.  He was invited back to be featured in the second series of The Rig on Prime, but the fee was too small to warrant cancelling his  holiday.  These things can slip though, so he night yet be able to take that one.

Edited by beyond our ken

1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

A soon-to-be cult classic is now coming to the screen

Tickets are now on sale for the first screening of this new independent movie, made in the West of Scotland

The Labyrinth + Q&A | CCA Glasgow (cca-glasgow.com)

I may be biased as my son is one of the two main characters, but it looks and sounds amazing

Is your son a Saints fan?

Just so we can ask a Saints themed question at the after film Q&A.

Hope it is a success.