Does bad music exist...........

Bud the Baker

On 10/25/2016 at 6:17 AM, Bud the Baker said:

...............or is it just a matter of personal taste?

I'm sure we've all listened to a song at some point and thought "that is fucking crap" but can some music (Jive Bunny, Leonard Nimoy. Willian Shatner, Manufactured Bands & James Blunt*) be described as bad? Moving away from pop I'd say there's a point in some genres of music (Classical, Bebop, Jazz-Fusion & Prog Rock) where the focus seems to shift from the music to the virtuosity of the musicians and I'd argue that's bad music. 

Also for me there's a factory aspect to the bulk of chart music nowadays which produces bland, derivative tunes devoid of personality, (although I accept there's nothing new in this - eg The Monkees & Motown, it's just more prevalent nowadays - or is it?) that I can't quite decide on and although I much prefer Dusty Springfield or Amy Whitehouese to Adele & Susan Boyle does that make the latter two bad.?

Then there's the business of making records, many musicians including Gerry Rafferty :rolleyes: have been alienated by this but is it just a matter of "art for art's sake, money for God's sake"?

* A bit tongue in cheek but I've mentioned James Blunt whose first elpee sold millions on the back of "You're Beautiful" because it turned out most of it was co-written by Linda Perry from 4 Non Blondes and when he took more control of the songwriting and production of his subsequent albums sales plummeted.

PS - negative comments welcomed, the more the merrier!

Bit unfair on the Monkees who rebelled and ended up putting out decent stuff

Guest TPAFKATS
there is no clear definition of what music is, so declaring anything that makes a noise to be good or bad is subjective

Even if the only people who enjoy it are the ones making the noise.

What if the ones making the noise aren't enjoying it?

6 hours ago, tony soprano said:

What if the ones making the noise aren't enjoying it?

doesn't make it bad music.  I remember a Jeff Lynne interview where he talked about recording the orchestra for the finale of Eldorado, the paid-by-the-hour musicians didn't think much of the score and at the very end of the track, Jeff reckons you can hear the sound of the instrument cases being slammed shut as each section finished their piece, even before the entire track was done.

Have got a Lemon Jelly album when i write about trance I mean the music that has 1,000 bpm as in fast mental beats with beeps , tweets and beeps. Lemon Jelly is quite cool.

It should be The State Of Trance followed by the word shite 

Trance stemmed from House Music. Early trance was really good (late nineties earlie naughties) when it was essentially euphoric house. I don't enjoy the newer stuff that has come out. I'm not sure if that is because my taste has evolved, I'm too old for it or its gone shite but there are some great older trance tunes out there (in my opinion).

There is a lot of music I dislike and I would say it is bad but then I know most people would consider my music taste as dodgy.

I do think that a lot of people buy music for the wrong reasons such as they fancy the artist, there is a key change that Simon Cowell smiles at during x factor or it has been well marketed. But I know a lot more people will disagree with me than agree.