The Beatles: Distinctly Average

Bud the Baker

31 minutes ago, antrin said:

Ever heard of Radio 4?

Science Programmes, Infinite Monkey Cage, Analysis...

Then there's the Open University?

"They are too busy chasing ratings."

Most tv channels/programmes are aimed at (as they're consumed by) the majority of the population.  Whenever anyBuddie has a smidgin of insider knowledge on any subject it renders a tv programme less than satisfactory.... flawed for him/her.

So tv can't always cater for such smart-arses.  Doing so would make it impenetrable for everyone else.

You need to learn how to chill out.  :)

That bit in bold is exactly what I was getting at. Our education (school and university) is aimed squarely at producing mediocrity by targetting the widest range of people, and TV services that mediocrity by producing guff like this programme. Mediocre people then attack those who are at the upper range of intelligence because it makes them feel better about their mediocrity. We, as a Scottish society, praise mediocrity as "normal" and actively shun intelligence: we socially exclude bright kids at school and then wonder why they can't function as adults. I understand all of that. It is the reason our country is being left behind other nations, in virtually every field of science and technology, who don't have this weird way of celebrating and normalising failure but perhaps that is another topic altogether. All of this would be hilarious if it wasn't so tragic

BTW I don't need to learn to chill out at all. It's not me who is polluting this thread with personal abuse.

You need to be talking to Poz and some others.

Guest TPAFKATS
Why are you so easily triggered on almost every subject?

Now people PhDs have got you flustered? :blink:

Take that enormous chip off your shoulder and try and enjoy life.

The only person getting 'triggered' is you dear - as evidenced by the posts you made following this one I quoted.

Have a nice night

7 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I thnk that is for the best. Quite honestly you have nothing constructive to offer the forum these days.

I don't know what is wrong with you these days and frankly I don't care.

There's far too many "these days" going about, these days.

7 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

There used to be a poster on the site called Bluto, whatever happened to him?

Think he got pissed off and bored with this place,  for two reasons.

one - was the wankers now returned from the wank tank.

he should have done, as I do.

ignore them.

it helps a little.

(bit of a bugger scrolling through so many notifications of wankers on ignore. Ignore should mean they are utterly blanked. They add nothing)

7 hours ago, oaksoft said:

That bit in bold is exactly what I was getting at. Our education (school and university) is aimed.... yadda yadda yadda....   tragic

BTW I don't need to learn to chill out at all. It's not me who is polluting this thread with personal abuse.

You need to be talking to Poz and some others.

TV tells its tales by pictures.

you cannot tell tell dense Mathematical, philosophical, scientific tales with any pretence of of depth on telly.  Pictures show the surfaces of things, not the intricacies.  It is what it is.  Moving pictures.

the greatest novels - with density, intricacy, multiple- layered philosophical allusions and illusions are all - almost - impossible to screen.

which is why I referred you to radio... If there are insufficient books. (But I know there are plenty.)

FWIW, I think British  tv is exceptionally strong in trying to tell tales of various sciences, history and philosophy.

poz appears hyper-chilled to me.  And always has.   Your interpretations of his posts seem over-wrought.  There must be an interpersonal strife, there, that I have missed...

7 hours ago, antrin said:

Think he got pissed off and bored with this place,  for two reasons.

one - was the wankers now returned from the wank tank.

he should have done, as I do.

ignore them.

it helps a little.

(bit of a bugger scrolling through so many notifications of wankers on ignore. Ignore should mean they are utterly blanked. They add nothing)

You, being auld and that, forgot the other reason. :lol:

The other reason is you're a bitter auld cnut who's narrow mind can't cope with other people's views.

Time you fcuked off again, you add nothing to the forum. :byebye

Back on topic, I liked quite a lot of the "average" Beatles stuff.

Edited by faraway saint

37 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

You, being auld and that, forgot the other reason. :lol:

The other reason is you're a bitter auld cnut who's narrow mind can't cope with other people's views.

Time you fcuked off again, you add nothing to the forum. :byebye

Back on topic, I liked quite a lot of the "average" Beatles stuff.

Why can't you just be friends , If Bellew and Haye can do it why can't you?:(

When you play the music of some of the bands mentioned (as in, perform them in some context) you get a clear idea about what is involved, and that can invariably increase your appreciation - even if, on a more subjective level, you still aren't particularly keen on their material.

I met up with my mate who also plays guitar for a few hours yesterday. We were working out guitar parts (who does what, and structure) for a few songs we are hoping to add to our covers band set list. Two of the songs were I Fought The Law (Clash version) and Riverboat Song by Ocean Colour Scene.

On the face of it, fairly generic rock oriented tunes, but when you pick them apart you start to appreciate what they consist of. Same goes for the likes of Get Back and Come Together by the Beatles, and numerous other tracks by numerous other bands.

I'd consider my taste in music as eclectic. I like to relax and listen to a huge range of stuff, and also enjoy having a stab at playing some of them too.

Sometimes it is enough to simply enjoy something, without having to analyse it too heavily, but when you do scratch beneath the surface, a whole new level of appreciation can be achieved.

Edited by Drew

27 minutes ago, Drew said:

Sometimes it is enough to simply enjoy something, without having to analyse it too heavily, but when you do scratch beneath the surface, a whole new level of appreciation can be achieved.

I genuinely appreciated Drew's post and agree completely with his analysis of music.

And I use the above quote from it to help reply to Linwood Buddie...

the refugees from the wank tank not only ply superficial banal pointless patter in all their posts, but there's NOTHING under the surface, except in one of their cases where you find a latent h.un, whose speciality is banal ageist illegal patter, allied to cowardice.  

What's not to despise? :)  It's better to ignore them, more calming, more zen...

bellew and Haye are prepared to compete against each other - the guy who got the bullet from the desert is too scared to compete against someone older but fitter, prettier and brighter than he is.

I hope this helps? :)

14 minutes ago, antrin said:

I genuinely appreciated Drew's post and agree completely with his analysis of music.

And I use the above quote from it to help reply to Linwood Buddie...

the refugees from the wank tank not only ply superficial banal pointless patter in all their posts, but there's NOTHING under the surface, except in one of their cases where you find a latent h.un, whose speciality is banal ageist illegal patter, allied to cowardice.  

What's not to despise? :)  It's better to ignore them, more calming, more zen...

bellew and Haye are prepared to compete against each other - the guy who got the bullet from the desert is too scared to compete against someone older but fitter, prettier and brighter than he is.

I hope this helps? :)

Oh dear. :lol:

PS You do contribute something to the forum..............posts that stop the thread stone dead. :byebye