McGinn Right Up For The Derby

"One of the reasons I signed here was to take them on and I can’t wait for it to be honest." - Stephen McGinn

McGinn Happy To Be Off The Bottom

McGinn-Dumbarton.jpg

St Mirren star Stephen McGinn believes that pressure has been lifted slightly after coming off the foot of the Scottish Championship table.

The Buddies moved from the bottom after picking up a point against Dumbarton on Sunday.

While some may have been frustrated at not being able to take all three points McGinn was pleased they have finally moved up a place in the table.

"He said: “We didn’t play well, and we weren’t nearly as good as we have been but we could have lost it and that would have been a disaster. Dumbarton made it difficult for us today, that’s why they’ve stayed in the league for the last three or four years. But they don’t carry the same expectations and pressure that comes with playing for St Mirren.

"I would have snapped your hand off to be in this position when I joined the club. Not only to get into the play offs, but to finish eighth or above, so I’m absolutely delighted with the standings.

“Before going into these two home games I didn’t see them as a must win, I saw four points as absolutely essential. It would have been good to have six but you can’t win every week.”

Saints had been stuck on the bottom since September, and McGinn thinks getting off the foot of the table will psychologically boost the side moving forward. 

"We had a fantastic win at Queen of the South, and to come here and not play great to get the point and be off the bottom of the table by goal difference and hopefully we will push on from now starting from Tuesday.”

With the derby against Morton coming up tomorrow, both sides will be looking for huge wins in the final push towards the end of an eventful season.

The Ton currently sit in third place and two points behind Falkirk as they aim to secure second place. While Saints know a win would see them climb up to eighth. And McGinn admits it's a game he is relishing.

"Tuesday will take care of itself and it’s a massive game for both teams," he said. "I love playing in the derby even in the Renfrewshire cup, never mind a must win league game.

"One of the reasons I signed here was to take them on and I can’t wait for it to be honest. We will give a better performance than what we did today.”

The former Sheffield United player also insists that the game against Morton will suit the side better as they'll look to attack Saints from the off.

I don’t think they will give us respect in terms of playing style. Dumbarton sat off and let us play whereas Morton will take the game to us. But with the pace we’ve got and the way we play we are capable of going there and scoring goals.”

2 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

I think we're all looking forward to it for 2 good reasons. One.... we all love beating the unwashed ...two....we'll jump out of the play off spot.

Absolutely, but great to hear the captain with that attitude, which will hopefully pass onto the rest of the team and prevent a repeat of the debacle of our last visit there.

I'm delighted with the attitude and positivity from the fans at the games & on the forum.

I was involved in an accident on way home from watching Saints in February ( A time when Ted Rogers aka Div had 'that section' active , so was delighted upon getting out of hospital and back to a game to see Dusty removed & us gub Ayr :)

I appreciate winning changes how we feel but honestly its great so see all threads positive in the main & if you add the team & captain feeling positive it bodes well for what will be another instalment of 'Saints or sinners' in the upcoming games.

COYS

Yes McGinn has changed us, best signing full stop and exactly what we needed, and he cares..... A young Goodie

This league has shown that just about any team can beat any team, however this is a win win or a lose lose. Ton play Raith on Saturday, they are pushing for 2nd, so, and i don't mind saying, so hope we turn them over, then I will totally support them.......

Yes the fans have been fantastic and the level of support is superb.......................... I want this season over..,. 8th- Thank you....

14 minutes ago, Sonny said:

On Saturday the two of them were up against 3 midfielders and 2 defensive midfielders. They should have a bit more space against the unwashed tomorrow night.

Correct find it quite funny some don't get Dumbarton were set up to stop us playing our normal game. It's why Dumbarton have picked up some decent points. 

So, if I'm reading the last couple of posts correctly, any time St Mirren come up against a well-organised somewhat stuffy opponent, then Mallan and McGinn will effectively be goosed.

Edit: With McGinn having high level English experience, with Mallan being one of the bright midfielders in this league, and St Mirren being bang in form, surely we can come up with something to combat stuffy part-timers.

Edited by pozbaird

26 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

So, if I'm reading the last couple of posts correctly, any time St Mirren come up against a well-organised somewhat stuffy opponent, then Mallan and McGinn will effectively be goosed.

Edit: With McGinn having high level English experience, with Mallan being one of the bright midfielders in this league, and St Mirren being bang in form, surely we can come up with something to combat stuffy part-timers.

Don't, you'll be seen as a non supporter if you question the current euphoria. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Would ask how many saves did Billy make the whole game. Nearly every time we were attacking they had 11 players in front of us. I'm not saying it's bad it gets Dumbarton points. Crowd a midfield and defence it's a hard system to break down. Already wrote on another day that penalty would have went in a game changer if you like.  

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

9 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Would ask how many saves did Billy make the whole game. Nearly every time we were attacking they had 11 players in front of us. I'm not saying it's bad it gets Dumbarton points. Crowd a midfield and defence it's a hard system to break down. Already wrote on another day that penalty would have went in a game changer if you like.  

Possession
Home58%
Away42%
Shots
Home11
Away9
Shots on Target
Home8
Away3
Corners
Home4
Away7
Fouls
Home15
Away11

Despite them "crowding midfield and defence" we managed 8 shots on goal, they managed 3. Not sure what that proves? :blink: They managed 7 corners to our 4? All pretty meaningless TBH.

13 hours ago, pozbaird said:

In the last few weeks the 'stuffy part-timers' have beaten Morton, and drew with Hibs and Falkirk. These teams are in the top 4 and could not beat Dumbarton but we expect St Mirren, bottom of the League, to easily tear them apart? Dumbarton play not to lose. Have two rows in midfield, no width, and have 10 men behind the ball when not in possession. It was always going to be difficult for our two central midfielders against their 5. Maybe Magennis and Stelios could have played further in to help out but we were going for a win. They only needed the draw which they achieved.

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

In the last few weeks the 'stuffy part-timers' have beaten Morton, and drew with Hibs and Falkirk. These teams are in the top 4 and could not beat Dumbarton but we expect St Mirren, bottom of the League, to easily tear them apart? Dumbarton play not to lose. Have two rows in midfield, no width, and have 10 men behind the ball when not in possession. It was always going to be difficult for our two central midfielders against their 5. Maybe Magennis and Stelios could have played further in to help out but we were going for a win. They only needed the draw which they achieved.

They have had some outstanding results, like us, but, to add balance they lost to Ayr and took a hammering from Dunfermline.

Rather than try to blame or defend out players with all sorts of "reasons/excuses" it's just one of them days.

It's, hopefully, not going to happen 2 games in a row.

Just now, faraway saint said:

They have had some outstanding results, like us, but, to add balance they lost to Ayr and took a hammering from Dunfermline.

Rather than try to blame or defend out players with all sorts of "reasons/excuses" it's just one of them days.

It's, hopefully, not going to happen 2 games in a row.

It was just one of these days. I reckon Dumbarton is the most difficult team in the League to break down due to their defensive formation. No other teams plays with a 4-2-3-1 formation with two sitting midfielders and relies on breakaways which they are good at. Our midfield was swamped on Saturday. In other threads and FB, Mallan and McGinn have been getting a hard time for Saturday's display and although not at their best they tried hard but were up against it. They should have more space to work in tonight.

Think a bit of over analysing going on. We didn't play great, they are a big stuffy side, and we really miss Morgan as he gives us wide pace.

What has improved visibly, is our shape, with McGinn, Mallan can push forward, our defence is stronger, our goalie is not a car crash, Mackenzie is a star in the making, the young kids are playing with more confidence and our manager is a fecking mile better than the last one....

Look we could easily lose the next 2 games away at 2 and 3rd in League, however I don't believe we will cause we now have resolve and steel

And lets not forget what this new group have achieved, in 6 weeks we have turned despair to hope to expectation

The improvement in Stevie Mallan has been great to see. Always had the talent, but now has the drive and determination to go with it. Chasing lost causes, making tackles - doing the dirty work. This, added to his great passing ability and deadball aptitude makes him an even better player than he was. Now with confidence restored, too.

McGinn has been the catalyst in my opinion. Even when having a relatively poor game on Saturday, his desire to push the team on remains constant. Magennis will be the next player we struggle to hang onto. An absolute gem of a player - great, quick feet, such composure on the ball for a player of his age, and the ability to go past players then go back and beat them again. A joy to watch.

Add to these Stelios doing the unpredictable, Smith and his relentless running at players, never giving them a minute, and McKenzie holding it together at the back. We have a team who will fight for each other, even when not at their best. Hopefully tonight we are at our best, and take some revenge on this mob for the beating they gave us the last time we went there.

We have to be honest and say that Ton have been the team of the year in the league, they have a Chairman and Board that are hardly ambitious, but in Duffy they have probably the best manager in the league--- So credit where credit is due

In saying all that- They are on a poor run and I reckon another early goal and we will go on to win this................

But agree Soctty Magennis is another gem, as is Smith