Paisley Museum refurb

17/03/13

Well, that picture depicts something rather better than the monstrous glass box stuck in front of the glorious frontage of steps and pillars  that had been mooted in original plan.

Shame that I would have to register to read the blurb that accompanied it.

34 minutes ago, antrin said:

Well, that picture depicts something rather better than the monstrous glass box stuck in front of the glorious frontage of steps and pillars  that had been mooted in original plan.

Shame that I would have to register to read the blurb that accompanied it.

The first images of a £42 million makeover to create a "contemporary face" for Paisley's Victorian-era museum have been revealed.

It is hoped that a four-year project, aimed at turning the building into a "world-class destination," will see visitor numbers quadruple to more than 125,000 per year.

It is hoped more than 125,000 visitors - four times more than before the revamp - will flock to the new-look museum.

It is hoped more than 125,000 visitors - four times more than before the revamp - will flock to the new-look museum.

The Paisley Museum revamp, which will celebrate the history of the "Paisley Pattern," will see the creation of a new red-glazed entrance hall and courtyard, a new west wing added onto the existing Victorian building, an outdoor garden and new gallery spaces by 2022.

The new-look museum will double the space available to showcase the Renfrewshire town's outstanding art, science and natural history collections, along with telling the story of the Paisley pattern, its famous weavers and being at the centre of the global thread-making industry.

The revamp, which will see space created for around 1200 different objects, is being funded by Renfrewshire Council, the Heritage Lottery Fund and the Scottish Government, and masterminded by London-based architects AL_A.

The transformation of the museum, which was closed to the public last September, is expected to worth an estimated £72 million to the local economy over 30 years.

More than 1200 objects will be on display in Paisley's museum when it reopens in 2022 - double the number previously showcased there.

More than 1200 objects will be on display in Paisley's museum when it reopens in 2022 - double the number previously showcased there.

Lisa-Marie Hughes, chair of Renfrewshire Leisure, which runs Paisley's cultural and sporting facilities on behalf of the council, said: "Few places of Paisley’s size can claim such global impact – the town created a global fashion icon, was once the centre of the world’s textile industry, and Paisley people have shaped the world for centuries with their creativity.

“The reopened museum will celebrate all of that and more, by using Paisley’s outstanding collections to retell the stories of those people, and give the world a reason to come back to Paisley.

“The museum is central to a wider investment in Paisley’s venues and outdoor spaces, embedding culture and events at the heart of how we are transforming our historic town centre and putting it back on the map as a destination.

“The beautiful images revealed today show how this wonderful historic building will at once be preserved and modernised, and ensure this proud symbol of Paisley’s past is at the heart of its future.”

The changes to Paisley Museum are predicted to create a "dynamic and living presence" on the town's High Street.

The changes to Paisley Museum are predicted to create a "dynamic and living presence" on the town's High Street.

Amanda Levete, principal of AL_A, said: “The brief for Paisley Museum is one of the most radical I’ve encountered.

"Paisley has a proud industrial past and a history of innovation and radical thinking. We have embedded this into our design to create an extraordinary place for the community of Paisley.”

• 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I’ll be honest , with the length of time it’s been shut already and the hoardings have been there , I thought the work had been done and this was the grand unveiling !! 

- good luck to the project .   

Delayed for a year, due to you know what.

4 minutes ago, pod said:

Delayed for a year, due to you know what.

Ah , fair enough . But the Museum closed in sept 2018 . Wtf they been doing since then ?🤷‍♂️

I have a vision of a team of workies, hard hats ,hi-vis and a mug of tea in hand standing looking at it waiting for Davie to turn up with the van with the big hammer. 

2 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Ah , fair enough . But the Museum closed in sept 2018 . Wtf they been doing since then ?🤷‍♂️

There’s loads of work been done inside both the Museum + Library.Just because you can’t see the work doesn’t mean there’s nothing being done

This project is going to be brilliant for the Town…………and for anyone who may own a property in the area 😄

3 hours ago, HSS said:

There’s loads of work been done inside both the Museum + Library.Just because you can’t see the work doesn’t mean there’s nothing being done

This project is going to be brilliant for the Town…………and for anyone who may own a property in the area 😄

Well perhaps the beeb article should be re-named and totally re-written then ?  

Maybe - a catchy headline like

* Exclusive *‘work continues in Paisley Museum refurb - well it’s been going on for years but we’d like a picture of four Hi Vis types shoving spades into the ground as if it’s actually just beginning “ 

That should do it 👍.   I missed my true vocation as a headline writer.

I love our town and proudly tell people that’s where I’m from .

Anything that enhances the experience of living, shopping, visiting Paisley should be supported and applauded .

To encourage more folk into the town centre and to make it a more pleasurable experience ,perhaps the next stage could be to rid the town centre of the f**king Jakies & Junkies that seem to plague it and clean up the dog shit 😏

Callum for Mayor 😎👍

3 hours ago, HSS said:

Probably took a while to move a lot of valuable into storage. 

• 1 year later...