Coronavirus

faraway saint

Or those advocating their use can either prove masks actually work or piss off and leave the rest of us alone, free from your control freakery and your pointless, relentless virtue signalling.
You fair like to band about the phrase "virtue signalling"...

more often than Fitzy says "ah'm no jist sayin' that!'

An ah'm no jist sayin'that!
[emoji23][emoji12]

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Or those advocating their use can either prove masks actually work or piss off and leave the rest of us alone, free from your control freakery and your pointless, relentless virtue signalling.

You mean like this https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31142-9/fulltext

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

We fully re-opened my wife's business 3 weeks ago.

Every customer who comes onto our premises asks if they need to wear a mask. My wife tells them that it is their decision and that she's not a police officer.

100% of them (all in the older age groups) say "Thank god for that" and immediately remove them.

100% of them.

Now THAT makes me proud to be a Scot. None of that cowering at home pish. People actually thinking for themselves rather than waiting to be told what to do. People realising that jumpers and scarves do not stop covid.

I guess there are people who are independent and there are those who need breastfed throughout their lives by others. I'd rather be in the first group and die early than live to be 100as part of the second group with the likes of Baz and TPAK thingy.

I have to say I'm all for being breastfed.  😎

15 minutes ago, insaintee said:

Yes.

I might have misread that paper but I don't see any data for using scarves and jumpers as suitable masks.

The study talks about using N95 standard masks and surgical standard masks. That is not the advice given the the SG and that most certainly is not what people are wearing in shops.

Edited by oaksoft

There's nothing illogical in it. That's the guidance, it doesn't put the overwhelming majority of us out, it may save lives. Just do it. 
Can you not even glimpse the chasms, the complete logical abyss, between -
That's the guidance....
It may...
Just do it...
?

20 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

You fair like to band about the phrase "virtue signalling"...

more often than Fitzy says "ah'm no jist sayin' that!'

An ah'm no jist sayin'that!
emoji23.pngemoji12.png

Well, if they keep doing it and there's a phrase for it I'd be pretty daft not to use it.

Guest TPAFKATS
To be fair, it’s US who have yet to see ANY evidence.  
It’s mask-wearers who are being extraordinary and need to demonstrate the efficacy.
We’re still waiting.
Again, you choose to miss the point. What effect on your life does it have to wear a mask in a shop? Even if it didn't work, how bad an impact would it have?

Guest TPAFKATS
The same can be said for praying and masturbation but nobody is advocating either of those as preventative measures against covid.
An occasional reminder that oakster claims to be more intelligent than everyone else on this forum.

4 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Again, you choose to miss the point. What effect on your life does it have to wear a mask in a shop? Even if it didn't work, how bad an impact would it have?

You are a sheep. You'll never understand why others hate having things imposed on them without a fecking good reason.

That is why you and Baz have trouble getting your heads around those protesting against masks.

Edited by oaksoft

12 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Yes.

I might have misread that paper but I don't see any data for using scarves and jumpers as suitable masks.

The study talks about using N95 standard masks and surgical standard masks. That is not the advice given the the SG and that most certainly is not what people are wearing in shops.

Read it again 

Guest TPAFKATS
We fully re-opened my wife's business 3 weeks ago.
Every customer who comes onto our premises asks if they need to wear a mask. My wife tells them that it is their decision and that she's not a police officer.
100% of them (all in the older age groups) say "Thank god for that" and immediately remove them.
100% of them.
Now THAT makes me proud to be a Scot. None of that cowering at home pish. People actually thinking for themselves rather than waiting to be told what to do. People realising that jumpers and scarves do not stop covid.
I guess there are people who are independent and there are those who need breastfed throughout their lives by others. I'd rather be in the first group and die early than live to be 100as part of the second group with the likes of Baz and TPAK thingy.
Uncanny, Oakster is Michael Gove's wife Screenshot_20200803_182744_com.twitter.android.jpeg

Guest TPAFKATS
You are a sheep. You'll never understand why others hate having things imposed on them without a fecking good reason.
That is why you and Baz have trouble getting your heads around those protesting against masks.
You've just admitted that you wear a mask despite being utterly opposed to wearing one.
Who's the sheep?

Guest TPAFKATS
Take the piss all you like but you are quite happy to fall back on peer reviewed science when it says something you like.
The guy who always refers to peer reviewed science is you.
Given that this is a new virus, there's going to be a lack of peer reviewed science. I'm happy to go with the view of the majority of scientific experts.

Yes.
You have, glad you have the ability to admit your flaws. [emoji6]

Here's one example.

Face mask use could result in a large reduction in risk of infection (n=2647; aOR 0·15, 95% CI 0·07 to 0·34, RD −14·3%, −15·9 to −10·7; low certainty), with stronger associations with N95 or similar respirators compared with disposable surgical masks or similar (eg, reusable 12–16-layer cotton masks

So the better the mask the greater protection. Think we all would have assumed that, well when I write all I don't envisage those that are #thichasfcuk would have.

4 hours ago, bazil85 said:

That's not true, another unsubstantiated claim like; lockdown hasn't saved a single life. 

It is true. 

Lockdown hasn’t saved anyone and has killed tens of thousands of people and will kill millions worldwide.

I’ve provided plenty of evidence. The fact that you either ignore it or don’t understand it doesn’t alter the fact. 

21 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

You have, glad you have the ability to admit your flaws. emoji6.png

Here's one example.

Face mask use could result in a large reduction in risk of infection (n=2647; aOR 0·15, 95% CI 0·07 to 0·34, RD −14·3%, −15·9 to −10·7; low certainty), with stronger associations with N95 or similar respirators compared with disposable surgical masks or similar (eg, reusable 12–16-layer cotton masks

So the better the mask the greater protection. Think we all would have assumed that, well when I write all I don't envisage those that are #thichasfcuk would have.

*could* ?

Either it does or it doesn’t!

You’re pretty stupid 😂

52 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

The guy who always refers to peer reviewed science is you.
Given that this is a new virus, there's going to be a lack of peer reviewed science. I'm happy to go with the view of the majority of scientific experts.

Ah, but of course no-one ever thought of testing out masks with respiratory viruses until Covid came along.

There’s not a single RCT that showed that masks stop infections