The Buddies make headlines

antrin

There was also a previous article, nothing about the Buddies in this one, but still entertaining.
Pilchards, Urchins and the Clockwork Cheese: hunting sport’s quirkiest nicknames | Football | The Guardian
[emoji6]

In addition to the ones listed in the previous article, we must now add the Buddies (St Mirren), Blue Toon (Peterhead), the Gable Endies (Montrose), the Pars (Dunfermline, reason unknown), the Honest Men (Ayr United),

21 hours ago, antrin said:

Not much more than that, really.

nice wee article aboot fitba club nicknames in the Grauniad.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/dec/23/buddies-and-honest-men-scotland-claim-prize-in-nicknames-world-cup?CMP=share_btn_link

Thanks for this. 

Nicknames are interesting. I prefer Saints to Buddies, but then I appreciate others don't, particularly as Scotland has another Saints (AKA the Fakes). There's also Southampton, of course. There's also the Welsh club, The New Saints. Any other Saints? There must be some in South America, I'd have thought.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2023 at 8:37 AM, W6er said:

Thanks for this. 

Nicknames are interesting. I prefer Saints to Buddies, but then I appreciate others don't, particularly as Scotland has another Saints (AKA the Fakes). There's also Southampton, of course. There's also the Welsh club, The New Saints. Any other Saints? There must be some in South America, I'd have thought.

Sao Paolo

On 12/24/2023 at 8:37 AM, W6er said:

Thanks for this. 

Peles old club………Santos