Media credit?

In 3 recent games, against Aberdeen, Hibs and Dundee, we have scored 8 goals and kept 3 clean sheets. In each game media comment has almost all been about the beaten team ('very poor game from X', 'Y were strangely lacklustre', 'Z's poorest game of the season'). Analysis on radio, on TV and in the newspapers has focused on these poor performances with various explanations offered. However there has been no mention of the common factor in these games - good performances by St. Mirren. Very few of the pundits, analysts or columnists seem to have grasped that the poor performances have been due to our good play. Very disappointing, given that we have been in the top 6 all season. Surely we deserve a bit more credit than we're getting.

Against Aberdeen I did not think we were very good though did enough. First half against Hibernian we were very good and for most of the Dundee match we were much better than them without being great. So I would agree that most of the time we have been better than  the opposition rather than them being particularly poor. 

26 minutes ago, pondsman said:

In 3 recent games, against Aberdeen, Hibs and Dundee, we have scored 8 goals and kept 3 clean sheets. In each game media comment has almost all been about the beaten team ('very poor game from X', 'Y were strangely lacklustre', 'Z's poorest game of the season'). Analysis on radio, on TV and in the newspapers has focused on these poor performances with various explanations offered. However there has been no mention of the common factor in these games - good performances by St. Mirren. Very few of the pundits, analysts or columnists seem to have grasped that the poor performances have been due to our good play. Very disappointing, given that we have been in the top 6 all season. Surely we deserve a bit more credit than we're getting.

All good points.....but seriously who cares what media say.... on budget we should be fighting relegation...on squad we should be at best 8th.... on manager easily 4th or 5th.... players are clearly executing better and time in Spain plus good window is paying  off.....When we beat Celtic i dont care on headlines just attend and support when u can

I'll be happy enough if we don't get the credit due and we go under the radar, if it results in a top half finish. 

Let's be honest, the media in this country only give a hoot about 2 clubs anyway.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. I certainly get that we might continue to do well by going unnoticed and 'flying under the radar', but sometimes it just grates with me that we get overlooked. After the games I mentioned, the praise was almost like an adult patting a child on the head for doing something well before moving on to the serious business at hand. No real attempt to analyse why we've done so well in the past 18 months.

Aberdeen have been up and down this season, but they've also played well and had some great results. Dundee had an excellent performance against Hearts and were unlucky not to take at least a point just 4 days before they came to Paisley. Surely these poor showings against us must have at least a little bit to do with good football and tactics by us? But no, it's all about analysing them and finding out what's gone wrong at Pittodrie or Dens Park. Grrr!

BBC seem to be the worst culprits in this, with Kenny MacIntyre salivating over the next managerial casualty for weeks before the poor bloke actually gets the sack (e.g. Barry Robson and Derek Adams). Doesn't help either that Thommo is now on salary at the BBC and has to rein in his enthusiasm for the Buddies.

1 hour ago, pondsman said:

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. I certainly get that we might continue to do well by going unnoticed and 'flying under the radar', but sometimes it just grates with me that we get overlooked. After the games I mentioned, the praise was almost like an adult patting a child on the head for doing something well before moving on to the serious business at hand. No real attempt to analyse why we've done so well in the past 18 months.

Aberdeen have been up and down this season, but they've also played well and had some great results. Dundee had an excellent performance against Hearts and were unlucky not to take at least a point just 4 days before they came to Paisley. Surely these poor showings against us must have at least a little bit to do with good football and tactics by us? But no, it's all about analysing them and finding out what's gone wrong at Pittodrie or Dens Park. Grrr!

BBC seem to be the worst culprits in this, with Kenny MacIntyre salivating over the next managerial casualty for weeks before the poor bloke actually gets the sack (e.g. Barry Robson and Derek Adams). Doesn't help either that Thommo is now on salary at the BBC and has to rein in his enthusiasm for the Buddies.

I agree with this.  Docherty’s rage after the Dundee game should have been called out. He thought it was a pen late on but in all honesty they were well beaten. If it had been a boxing match etc.

Michael Stewart did give credit to the Buddies against Hibs but it was more to do with how bad Hibs were.

In some ways it might be better that we’re thought of as lucky or inferior as it then keeps teams with a superiority complex. You get none of this with Killie as McInnes has been a regular pundit, of course he’s been seeking employment more than Robbo recently.

On another point I think Aberdeen’s latest appointment is inspired. They’ve brought in a character to distract everyone from what has been a shocking season and from a self harming board.

Do you really want the media swapping us with Aberdeen and tipping us for 3rd/4th each season? I’m happier being under the radar.

COYS!

1 hour ago, pod said:

Happy to be quietly going about our business. No distractions.

That's my thoughts!

Though I would like the highlights to be a bit more "balanced". I sometimes think it's me watching a different match when I watch them.  Sky had it being a mistake by "St Mirrens" Carson for the opening goal and no highlights showing any of the Dundee fouls on Wednesday!

On 2/9/2024 at 9:36 PM, guinness said:

Against Aberdeen I did not think we were very good though did enough. First half against Hibernian we were very good and for most of the Dundee match we were much better than them without being great. So I would agree that most of the time we have been better than  the opposition rather than them being particularly poor. 

Are you kidding? We strolled it at Pittodrie, strolled it at Easter Road and our passing and movement against Dundee was probably the best this season. Cheers up FFS😂