21st birthday party

Folk who think that holding birthday parties on a regular basis in the function suite won't have an adverse effect on the facility are poorly researched. If the club allow any old function in the current suite it becomes just that, any old function suite. People will be less willing to fork out £100pp to eat lunch in a pungent room with sticky carpets, just as a corporate customer is not going to want a conference venue with these characteristics. I'm not suggesting anyone intentionally sets out to cause damage, but events like parties do cause excessive wear and tear and the current suite is hardly fitted out with this in mind. You may not agree with that assessment but it is the commercial reality.

However, if the stadium has a second suite which could be fitted out in a more robust and flexible manner, the club would be able to cater for both markets and everyone is kept happy, well almost everyone.

Edited by civilsaint

Folk who think that holding birthday parties on a regular basis in the function suite won't have an adverse effect on the facility are poorly researched. If the club allow any old function in the current suite it becomes just that, any old function suite.

Really , I did a party recently in Ross Priory , Loch Lomond , a pretty exclusive venue , much more so than SMP . Can't see Ross Priory being in the category of " any old function suite" ?

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Richard Atkinson replied to an email today and is looking in to availability and was also asking a few questions about the number of people expected and made the point that 21st birthday parties can take many guises... so it is looking like the club are open-minded even although the CIC takeover hasn't completed yet and the new, purpose built suite presumably wouldn't be in place for the date in question. Richard's response was helpful and showed the club in a positive light.

Really , I did a party recently in Ross Priory , Loch Lomond , a pretty exclusive venue , much more so than SMP . Can't see Ross Priory being in the category of " any old function suite" ?

well said billy g , i was at a function in the argyle bar last thursday, and although there were a few drunk people around, the floor was the same when i left as it was when i went in, the dj did have problems making himself heard though

Edited by buddiecat

Ok, maybe I should have explicitly stated that if someone is willing to pay top rate, they are more than welcome to hire the function for pretty much any event. I was basing my analysis on average, run of the mill functions, rather than anything fancy. For not making that clear I apologise.

It is worth mentioning that the University of Strathclyde charge a small fortune for the Priory. Firstly the high fees will off-set against minimal damage and secondly they will prevent most schemies from being able to justify such a function, meaning they are few and far between. The Priory is used mainly for university related conferences.

If you think St Mirren park should charge the level of fees the Priory charge, then fair enough, but I doubt the club will get much business.

Edited by civilsaint

i reckon the ground is maybe a bit too far out of town for the 18/21st birthday type of do, as had been said previously most of the young uns like to head off to clubs before the function ends and would not relish the walk or the taxi fare,it should not stop them having the function rooms available but may not be too popular a venue, and they would probably need to charge for hiring the rooms, wouldn't think the bar revenue would be enough to cover the heating lighting and staffing costs and leave much of a profit if any at all, venues that can offer free hire will get most bookings as they are generally part of a pub/club and already open and using power and staff

Edited by buddiecat

18th / 21st birthday parties tend to be family affaris. Yes, the 18 / 21 year olds will have their friends there; however they will also have their family. They attend the family bit on their best behaviour as they know they will be getting wads of cash and presents from it. Then they head off the the dancing, which is when they will get the class A's out and go for it. 18th / 21st parties tend to be preferable for function suites as the youngsters want to get out as early as they can to head off to the dancing.

The big problem parties tend to be wedding receptions and 40th birthday parties. Weddings force people who don't like each other to share the same space under the influence. 40th birthday parties are full of mid life crisis windbags. However, the worst of the lot is work do's. Work do's / corporate functions are an opportunity to be off the leash as partners are not there - usually some free drink thrown in to really f"k the office dafty right up and then there's the issue of alcohol induced petty score settling. The levels of arrogance / ignorance and general aggression towards fuction staff are always much higher at corporate events than they are at family / friend events.

The idea that beer does not get spilt at a corporate event is very silly indeed. Wearing a tie does not make you any less pished. :)

18th / 21st birthday parties tend to be family affaris. Yes, the 18 / 21 year olds will have their friends there; however they will also have their family. They attend the family bit on their best behaviour as they know they will be getting wads of cash and presents from it.

When your kids grow up I think you should encourage them to have a full blown 18th birthday party in your house. Like you say there won't be any trouble. :lol:

When your kids grow up I think you should encourage them to have a full blown 18th birthday party in your house. Like you say there won't be any trouble. :lol:

I was at an 18th birthday party on Friday night. It was held in a cricket club just outside Blackburn and many of the guests were from Ferguslie Park - born and bred. The Blackburn crowd are all regulars on the Rovers supporters buses. Cracking wee night out, with no trouble - bar closed at midnight and the place was empty by ten past. The kids all headed out to the clubs having tolerated their sad auld aunties and uncles jumping around on the dance floor with lightsticks for most of the night.

I've seen the police requried for many a corporate night out. Xmas parties in wegiescumbagland are the worst. I refuse to attend them these days. :)

Guest somner9

However, the worst of the lot is work do's. Work do's / corporate functions are an opportunity to be off the leash as partners are not there - usually some free drink thrown in to really f"k the office dafty right up and then there's the issue of alcohol induced petty score settling. The levels of arrogance / ignorance and general aggression towards fuction staff are always much higher at corporate events than they are at family / friend events.

The idea that beer does not get spilt at a corporate event is very silly indeed. Wearing a tie does not make you any less pished. :)

Great is this the one thats proposed for the BAWA night out at SMP Hostility Suite? :D

Guest somner9

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Richard Atkinson replied to an email today and is looking in to availability and was also asking a few questions about the number of people expected and made the point that 21st birthday parties can take many guises... so it is looking like the club are open-minded even although the CIC takeover hasn't completed yet and the new, purpose built suite presumably wouldn't be in place for the date in question. Richard's response was helpful and showed the club in a positive light.

Hey heard there are three thursday nights in October pencilled in to have a meeting about that :D :D :D

Great is this the one thats proposed for the BAWA night out at SMP Hostility Suite? :D

Looks like you dropped a 'B' and a 'G' there. :P

B&WArmy had a wee night out in NSS's bowling club. It was all fairly well behaved - although there was one point when the old grammarian ralston brigade started doing some poncey dance to "Mr Big Stuff", which I believe contravened about 7 articles in the Bowling Club constitution. Through quick thinking we distracted NSS with some scuddy magz until the ralstonians got it out of their system. Only one trumpet turned up in a tie. :lol:

I was at an 18th birthday party on Friday night. It was held in a cricket club just outside Blackburn and many of the guests were from Ferguslie Park - born and bred. The Blackburn crowd are all regulars on the Rovers supporters buses. Cracking wee night out, with no trouble - bar closed at midnight and the place was empty by ten past. The kids all headed out to the clubs having tolerated their sad auld aunties and uncles jumping around on the dance floor with lightsticks for most of the night.

I've seen the police requried for many a corporate night out. Xmas parties in wegiescumbagland are the worst. I refuse to attend them these days cos I have the Glasgow fear. :)

dry.gif

Ok, maybe I should have explicitly stated that if someone is willing to pay top rate, they are more than welcome to hire the function for pretty much any event. I was basing my analysis on average, run of the mill functions, rather than anything fancy. For not making that clear I apologise.

It is worth mentioning that the University of Strathclyde charge a small fortune for the Priory. Firstly the high fees will off-set against minimal damage and secondly they will prevent most schemies from being able to justify such a function, meaning they are few and far between. The Priory is used mainly for university related conferences.

If you think St Mirren park should charge the level of fees the Priory charge, then fair enough, but I doubt the club will get much business.

I think we should just close the forum on the basis that you know bloody everything and it is pointless for the rest of us to discuss anything.

I used to have my lunch up there whilst attending to matters at the water treatment works. One of my favourite spots in the world

an exclusive venue for a cultured punter. f**k letting a bunch of schemie 20 year old non-saints fans in the hospitality suite.

Yeah , cultured punters who were collectively pished, went to their rooms and forgot to pay me , some of the guests then chipped in and gave me the dosh ! <_<

Some of the guys on here are out of touch beyond belief with what actually goes on at your average function , and who actually causes most of the problems. The club would do well financially from hosting parties and trouble would be a rare event !

what makes you think the people in my OP are schemies?

what makes you think i am referring to your OP?

if you are able to act as a gurantor for the party then its fine with me.

some people arent living in the real world however if they think the hospitality suite could regulary cater for these events with no mishap. ive seen plenty of football graffiti and carvings in pub toilets to suggest its a risk. unless its the pensioners thats responsible for it all?

Sure, some arsehole hospitality guest might do the same thing but the club have everyones details reducing the risk, unlike a bunch of anonymous neds.

(ps i aint suggestion the party in post one are neds either)

So anyone 21 or under isn't welcome to utilise the facilities at SMP???

No wonder 10000 hours can't get the funding when the Daily Mail reading CiC pledgers seek to discriminate on the basis that "They're all bad Uns'" :blink:

The other fact here that beggars belief is the notion that SMFC can afford to turn away bona fide business :lol::lol: :lol:

Does this mean that the U21 squad members can't attend post match presentations in the hospitality suite as they might rush off to the loos with their pocket full of marker pens???

That's so 1974 B)