Recommend A Movie

RickMcD

Don't ask, but I got dragged along to the Hunger Games last night. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. I sort of Mad Max / Logan's Run unfortunately mixed with an over generous dash of Twilight teenage angst. Fumiest thing in the movie was Woody Harlson's hair cut, It made him look like Barney Rubble from the Flinstones (the movie). Worst thing bad acting, best thing now I'm struggling. Came out thinking "thank F*ck I never read the book!"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Saw Gravity last week.

Didnae want to go, didnae fancy it, but it was a brilliant, swiftly passing 90 odd minutes.

Saw it in 3D and imagine it would be much less exciting without that.

The slimmest of story lines and minimal characters but the excitement was roller coaster and slam slam slam in your face....

Out of one tricky spot and another calamity hurtles round the planet and you're in an even worse position.

I realised I had sweaty palms and on the edge of my seat about 15 minutes in and that despite my grumpiness at being dragged along I was enjoying the event.

Er.... Just thought, as no Buddie seems to be about on the Forum for some reason, that I would kinda recommend this bit of entertainment if the fitba didnae provide it.

Edited by bluto

I saw Saving Mr Banks last night in a cinema that had only 5 people in it last night in Livingston and I honestly couldn't believe the poor turn out. The film was simply magnificent. Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks were absolutely superb in this - the supposedly true story of how Walt Disney landed the film rights to Mary Poppins from the stories incredibly crusty author. It probably won't be a massive box office hit but it should be. Tremendous.

Saw Gravity last week.

Didnae want to go, didnae fancy it, but it was a brilliant, swiftly passing 90 odd minutes.

The slimmest of story lines and minimal characters but the excitement was roller coaster and slam slam slam in your face....

Out of one tricky spot and another calamity hurtles round the planet and you're in an even worse position.

I realised I had sweaty palms and on the edge of my seat about 15 minutes in and that despite my grumpiness at being dragged along I was enjoying the event.

Er.... Just thought, as no Buddie seems to be about on the Forum for some reason, that I would kinda recommend this bit of entertainment if the fitba didnae provide it.

Recent filums , watched at home are; Flight , Argo and Django Unchained . All were good and provided good entertainment. Django is a long one but still worth a watching and has some great unexpected twists. .

Recent filums , watched at home are; Flight , Argo and Django Unchained . All were good and provided good entertainment. Django is a long one but still worth a watching and has some great unexpected twists. .

I haven't seen the other two but I watched Argo on the plane to Florida earlier this year and found that enjoyable too.

I've only seen Argo and - again a wonderfully tense film.

We cared for the "poor Yanks" and wanted them to escape. Great fun!

And occasionally funny.

I don't watch much TV, nor do I watch many films despite the fact that my daughter gets just about every damned new film out as soon as it's available. A month or two back she made me watch Gangs of New York and to my surprise I enjoyed it. A disturbing film in a lot of ways. I'm even willing to concede now that Daniel Day-Lewis can act a bit.

Saw 'Philomena' (Judi Dench/Steve Coogan) the other night, the true story of an Irish girl forced to give up her illegitimate son to Catholic nuns in the 1950's and her quest to find him again in later life. Dench is incredibly good in a film that's quite moving at times. Coogan is.... well... he's just Steve Coogan. Well worth catching though, I suspect it will go largely unnoticed as a 'rare gem' of a film though.

Saw 'Philomena' (Judi Dench/Steve Coogan) the other night, the true story of an Irish girl forced to give up her illegitimate son to Catholic nuns in the 1950's and her quest to find him again in later life. Dench is incredibly good in a film that's quite moving at times. Coogan is.... well... he's just Steve Coogan. Well worth catching though, I suspect it will go largely unnoticed as a 'rare gem' of a film though.

I quite enjoyed it - and Coogan's portrayal of the journo.

Philomena didn't have a very interesting character , so I wasn't that taken by Dench. She made the best of slim pickings, I guess.

I'd seen the trailer a few times though and it strikes me that if you saw that, then you saw the best bits of the fillum.

Also saw a slight US coming of age/comedy effort the other day: The Way, Way Back. Not bad... The female that played CJ in the West Wing was wacky in it.

Best US comedy recently for me was: In A World.

Set in the business of LA Movie Voiceovers.

Saw Gravity last week.

GM stolen your password Bluto?whistling.gif

Busy year for me and movies. Watched my fifth of the year last night and it was only the 2nd.of December. If you need to be intellectually stimulated by a movie then don't watch Grabbers but if you enjoy budget Irish movies with a few good laughs thrown in then watch it. Her Indoors put it on last night and I thought at first it was a genuine horror movie. It isn't but it's not bad and there's something about drunken Irishmen that has always attracted me.No nookie.