Wimbledon 2013

faraway saint

I was drained at the end. I watched it with a big crowd of Irishmen who roared Andy home along with me. It wasn't always the prettiest tennis but at times they both played some sensational shots. They know one another's game so well. Drained last night, behydrated this morning. Old John Barleycorn.

The only slight sour note an a fabulous day was the sight of Salmond behind Murray holding up a Saltire.

The cameras only showed it for a brief second before rapidly moving away.

Even as a committed independence supporter I thought that was pretty crass of Salmond.

Time and a place, Doing it right at the moment where the entire country was celebrating a British win, basically reminding the rest of the UK that it was a Scottish player was political whoring of the worst kind.

TBH nobody in the UK or Scottish establishment should be taking any credit for this.

Anyway it was just a minor embarassing "oh for f**ks sake" moment.

Edited by oaksoft

The only slight sour note an a fabulous day was the sight of Salmond behind Murray holding up a Saltire.

Even as a committed independence supporter I thought that was pretty crass of Salmond.

Time and a place, Doing it right at the moment where the entire country was celebrating a British win, basically reminding the rest of the UK that it was a Scottish player was political whoring of the worst kind.

TBH nobody in the UK or Scottish establishment should be taking any credit for this.

Indeed, Murray, like David Wilkie, had to do a lot of his early career work abroad.

We're good at supplying the Pimms and Strawberry n Cream but not World Class players.

Fabulous achievement for Andy Murray , did himself and his country proud.

It's so ironic that a 'Scot's lad' and a mum with a plan has to show the All England Club the way to do it. Loving how even today some bitter and twisted at SW 19 cannot quite bring themsleves to truly embrace one of Britain's finest ever tennis players.

Yesterday we saw a truly big hitting slog fest of a match with no little skill, with the best player winning, Murray showing himself to be a world class Tennis player and top athlete.

Well done to him and his team, truly deserved

Nonsense.

Tbh if a Serbian , if a Croation , if a German , if an Italian, If a French, if a Swiss, if a Luxembourger ffsake , if an Irish , if a Chinese, if a Welsh, if a Cypriot , blah de blah player had won yesterday, there would have been a quite obvious display of patriotic national flag waving from some, and rightly so. Why should people be ashamed to fly the Saltire in support of a Scottish player winning. Why should Salmond especially be singled out for ire over this, especially given his patriotic leanings ffsake. Like him or loathe him , he was understandably thrilled for Murray and no doubt for Scotland ......doh !

C'mon, your post is demonstrative of a wee bit of Scottish cringe tbh. Surely it's time people got over themselves about things like this. It's petty myopic small mindedness and as you say yourself in your eyes was, an offs moment , so why be irked at all ??

Just read Leckie's outstanding article on Murray's triumph.

And its left me in the same state as his article on the 18th March 2013.

Or did i just get grit in my eye ?