Wimbledon 2013

faraway saint

True. .

However, World Champion Graeme Obree , did all his early career work at home , often without sponsorship. .

Indeed he did and an outstanding sportsman he was.

Indeed, Murray, like David Wilkie, had to do a lot of his early career work abroad.

We're good at supplying the Pimms and Strawberry n Cream but not World Class players.

Even if we had been, yesterday was the time for allowing Andy to claim full credit for himself.

What we need from Salmond is help for Judy Murray's vision of the future for tennis in Scotland - not a saltire.

I'm now starting to get seriously pissed off with all the politics about next year. We had the No campaign treating us like utter idiots last week with their laughable nonsense about increased mobile phone charges in an independent Scotland.

Politics should stay the hell out of sport.

I remember a story about the UK Minister for Sport trying to get into photo shoots with the England Rugby squad when they won the World Cup (2005 was it?). Anyway she was sidling in trying to get into the shot and one of the England players noticed and said in a loud voice something like "Listen love I've no idea who you are but could you just f**k off". Ouch!

Anyway I'm diverging from the topic.

Edited by oaksoft

BBC1 Tonight 9pm.

A repeat of the Andy Murray Documentary which was originally screened a fortnight ago.

It has obviously been updated with film of yesterday's wonderful triumph.

The only slight sour note an a fabulous day was the sight of Salmond behind Murray holding up a Saltire.

The cameras only showed it for a brief second before rapidly moving away.

Even as a committed independence supporter I thought that was pretty crass of Salmond.

Time and a place, Doing it right at the moment where the entire country was celebrating a British win, basically reminding the rest of the UK that it was a Scottish player was political whoring of the worst kind.

TBH nobody in the UK or Scottish establishment should be taking any credit for this.

Totally agree. I actually like Alex Salmond, but that was cringe-worthy yesterday. Now, if he'd worn a "Andy Murray Rules" tee-shirt and had waved a small saltire throughout the match I'd have had no problem with that. It just smacked of opportunism to me and he only made himself look like a complete fud. Edited by BAWZ

Nonsense.

Tbh if a Serbian , if a Croation , if a German , if an Italian, If a French, if a Swiss, if a Luxembourger ffsake , if an Irish , if a Chinese, if a Welsh, if a Cypriot , blah de blah player had won yesterday, there would have been a quite obvious display of patriotic national flag waving from some, and rightly so. Why should people be ashamed to fly the Saltire in support of a Scottish player winning. Why should Salmond especially be singled out for ire over this, especially given his patriotic leanings ffsake. Like him or loathe him , he was understandably thrilled for Murray and no doubt for Scotland ......doh !

C'mon, your post is demonstrative of a wee bit of Scottish cringe tbh. Surely it's time people got over themselves about things like this. It's petty myopic small mindedness and as you say yourself in your eyes was, an offs moment , so why be irked at all ??

And your post is displaying a completely naive understanding of the politics of what happened.

Those other nationalities would have had their flags out for the entire tournament and at all stages of the matches.

I like Salmond but he knows he was making a political statement or that flag would have been out the whole match.

I'm not criticising the nationalism. I'm criticising the motive for doing it.

Are you seriously not understanding how politicians work?

Hmmm. I'm not so sure about that. I was overjoyed for him and his team and family but to say winning Wimbledon makes him "Scotland's Greatest Ever Sportsman" is getting a bit carried away in my personal opinion. I think someone like Chris Hoy who did it again and again and again, racking up a good tally of medals has to be ahead of Andy Murray at this moment in time. Maybe in a few years if Andy Murray has added more titles to his CV then you could say he's the best but for now, Sir Chris gets my vote!

Then there's Dougal Haston. RIP

He and Doug Scott were the first Brits to climb the world's highest mountain and they did it by the hardest route, not the tourist walk.

And your post is displaying a completely naive understanding of the politics of what happened.

Those other nationalities would have had their flags out for the entire tournament and at all stages of the matches.

I like Salmond but he knows he was making a political statement or that flag would have been out the whole match.

I'm not criticising the nationalism. I'm criticising the motive for doing it.

Are you seriously not understanding how politicians work?

Personally I don't see the problem in Salmond using a sporting victory to make the statement.

Andy is a proud Scot who quite often has the saltire emblem on his sweat bands.

Cameron openly used Murray as a political statement when inviting him to Downing Street. He even opened the frecking door himself, (a duty I'm sure he performs regularly), and was plainly seen grinning ear to ear and rubbing his hands akin to Scrooge finding a penny that fell from Cratchit's pittance.

Personally I don't see the problem in Salmond using a sporting victory to make the statement.

Andy is a proud Scot who quite often has the saltire emblem on his sweat bands.

Cameron openly used Murray as a political statement when inviting him to Downing Street. He even opened the frecking door himself, (a duty I'm sure he performs regularly), and was plainly seen grinning ear to ear and rubbing his hands akin to Scrooge finding a penny that fell from Cratchit's pittance.

I've been there. thumbup2.gif

A viewing audience of over 17million on the day made a large amount of people quite happy.

I was happy that day tae and most other days but the happiest day for me was 17th March 2013.

Why do these ' study ' persons never consult me ?

I was happy that day tae and most other days but the happiest day for me was 17th March 2013.

Why do these ' study ' persons never consult me ?

Happiest day of 2013 was the 18th March when i woke up to find out it wasn't a dream

Edited by Charlotte Saint