The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

<snip>

I was talking to a convinced Yes voter this evening who found it utterly incredulous that I would say that Alex Salmond and his SNP team would be handling the divorce settlement negotiations for the first two years and that they would be pushing for a very quick resolution - as per Humza Yousaf on the This Week programme on Thursday. I proved it to her and she was angry. She had been told at a Yes Campaign rally thing that for the first two years after the referendum there would be loads of referendums to decide the direction an Independent Scotland would take <snip>

I reckon that even in the event of a Yes vote we'll see Yes voters angry, pissed off and rioting because their leaders have lied through their teeth to get to this point

I suspect you just made that up.

You proved it to her? I would like to see this proof that the Yes Campaign saying that there would be loads of mini-referendums.

They were answering to you, the electorate.You demonstrate my point perfectly - what is going to make any difference to the political landscape IF there's a yes vote?You'll STILL have politicians, very likely Labour ones, so WHAT will a Yes vote have achieved?

Sounds like , you are applying the principal of A=A=A=A=A. .

The electorate , didn't vote on any of the issues I mentioned earlier , indeed , in one scenario the biggest protests seen in this country did nothing to change the policy persued. .

I suspect you just made that up.

You proved it to her? I would like to see this proof that the Yes Campaign saying that there would be loads of mini-referendums.

I would have to ask her for proof that the Yes Campaign was promising loads of mini referenda. I haven't claimed that at all, indeed it was news to me. She was adamant though, that was what she was told. This morning on Facebook I've had another friend that I have loads of time and respect for telling me that he was led to believe that no negotiations would start until AFTER the 2016 Scottish Elections. Again I've referenced the This Week programme and to Hamza Yousafs comment that the best way to improve stability in the markets would be for Westminster to reach a swift agreement with the Scottish Government on the separation agreement.

To be perfectly honest I would have thought that anyone of any kind of sanity would have been able to figure it out themselves though. If the SNP are not resigning en masse on Friday and they intend to see out their full term in government isn't it obvious that they are going to handle the negotiations on their terms for the separation agreement? They will assume that the Yes Vote is a mandate from the people to put into place the terms outlined in the White Paper with their job to negotiate to get as much of that in place as quickly as possible. The idea that Scotland would be allowed to free wheel for two years just seems utterly bizarre and yet sadly what I am finding now, with just 48 hours to the vote, is that there appears to be a large number of confirmed Yes Voters who believe that's exactly what is going to happen.

It seems to me that you have very stupid or very deaf friends. I've never heard that from the Yes campaign and I've not came across anyone who thinks that. Since you've been caught blatantly lying on here numerous times, I'm just going to assume that you are lying again but that you've "wised up" a bit and are now lying about things where no-one can prove you wrong with a simple google.

I wouldn't have classed them as stupid - politically naive maybe. They certainly haven't shown much interest in politics up to this point. The thing is there's a hell of a lot of people out there who are in the same boat. What I've found is that the regular quote is that on Thursday "we aren't voting for Alex Salmond." Now whilst that is definitely true there can be no doubt at all that the government in charge of handling negotiations for an Independent Scotland would be Alex Salmonds SNP government. We're not getting a choice in this. The SNP and Alex Salmond are not going to resign - as they used to claim they would do. There isn't going to be a snap general election so that the Scottish people can elect the government they want to handle negotiations - we're going to have to trust Alex Salmond to deliver the goods.

On the same Facebook page btw, a former SNP member has entered into the discussion claiming that he hopes Patrick Harvie will become First Minister and handle the negotiations. He claims he resigned his membership of the SNP because of their insistence on getting NATO membership. Now that's all fair but again he's operating under the miscomprehension that somehow we'll have a choice of who does the negotiating on our behalf. We don't and Alex Salmond will use a Yes Vote as a mandate to push forward the agenda as laid out by the White Paper. He WILL seek NATO membership - it would be utterly bizarre if he didn't.

It seems to me that you have very stupid or very deaf friends.

To be fair, there are a lot of very stupid people out there… (yes, yes, no doubt you will say I am one of them!)

My daughter recently told me that one of her friend’s mums was voting yes because she didn’t like the royal family…

And going back to my fav subject, my mother-in-law, I could write a book about her stupidity. She basically believes everything she reads in the Daily Record to make matters worse. That is literally why she is voting no.

To be fair, there are a lot of very stupid people out there… (yes, yes, no doubt you will say I am one of them!)

My daughter recently told me that one of her friend’s mums was voting yes because she didn’t like the royal family…

And going back to my fav subject, my mother-in-law, I could write a book about her stupidity. She basically believes everything she reads in the Daily Record to make matters worse. That is literally why she is voting no.

Lol, my Mums the same. The Daily Record rules supreme. She's 73 and completely deaf so I guess it's her only real news supplier. Anyway she read the pro independence issue and sent off her postal vote saying yes - then the next day she read the Better Together edition and decided she'd voted the wrong way.

Lol, my Mums the same. The Daily Record rules supreme. She's 73 and completely deaf so I guess it's her only real news supplier. Anyway she read the pro independence issue and sent off her postal vote saying yes - then the next day she read the Better Together edition and decided she'd voted the wrong way.

:lol:

My mother-in-law argued blind that Glasgow Airport was closing down. This was solely based on the Record headline that BAA was being forced to sell the Airport…

Two of her best came on our trip to Paris (funded with her benefits…).

There was a problem with the hot water in our hotel room so she phoned down to reception to ask them to sort it. When someone came up to the room, she spoke to the guy in ‘allo allo’ fashion with a French accent…

When we went to the Eifel Tower, I took us a route that mean we could walk past the the Arc de Triomphe. When we came up to the roundabout I quickly explained to her what she was looking at. We then proceeded to walk round the roundabout to get to the street to walk down to the Eifel Tower. After crossing a couple of roads she looked up at the Arc de Triomphe again and exclaimed “look, there’s another wan oh they arch things”…

All at Brussels will be laughing their bollox off while witnessing aw the dafties here going into a f**king frenzy over a pointless vote.

What will be, will be, eventually.

Europe will rule the Scotland Region.

Get used to it aw the yays, nays and flag wavers.

Edited by shull

Guest TPAFKATS

I love this confidence from you no better together chaps.

Obviously the three stooges don't have it, otherwise they wouldn't have appeared out of the blue in Scotland last week, or suddenly offered new powers.

A couple of bus shelters in Cardonald have been daubed with Referendum slogans using paint.

That will encourage more scumbags to vote the same way.

They aw love their Country so they f**king vandalise it.

Edited by shull

Good story. Somewhat undermined by the fact (look the word up, I'm sure you have no idea what it means) that it was BT the first day & Indy the next, but good story nonetheless.

One thing that has intrigued me is why the unionists managed to get the actual ballot paper question wrong.

If the question had been 'do you want Scotland to remain part of the UK' or such like, that would have made the 'No' campaign the 'Yes' campaign and therefore the positive campaign. The 'Yes' campaign would have been teh negative campaign

Psychologically, the 'Yes / No' aspect to this will make a difference...

A fairer way would have surely been 2 questions, eg

Do you want Scotland to be independent?

Do you wish Scotland to remain part of the UK?

One thing that has intrigued me is why the unionists managed to get the actual ballot paper question wrong. If the question had been 'do you want Scotland to remain part of the UK' or such like, that would have made the 'No' campaign the 'Yes' campaign and therefore the positive campaign. The 'Yes' campaign would have been teh negative campaign Psychologically, the 'Yes / No' aspect to this will make a difference... A fairer way would have surely been 2 questions, eg Do you want Scotland to be independent? Do you wish Scotland to remain part of the UK?

They haven't got it that wrong they're odds on to win. Perhaps they understand that us Scots are generally a negative bunch. Ask someone how they are and you usually get the answer no bad

Edited by Kendo

One thing that has intrigued me is why the unionists managed to get the actual ballot paper question wrong.

If the question had been 'do you want Scotland to remain part of the UK' or such like, that would have made the 'No' campaign the 'Yes' campaign and therefore the positive campaign. The 'Yes' campaign would have been teh negative campaign

Psychologically, the 'Yes / No' aspect to this will make a difference...

A fairer way would have surely been 2 questions, eg

Do you want Scotland to be independent?

Do you wish Scotland to remain part of the UK?

what would happen if the majority said no to both questions?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/leisure/11098848/Betfair-pays-out-early-on-Scottish-independence-No-vote.html

Bet fair so confident of a NO vote, that they're paying out to people who have bet on it already.

More great news... No complacency though, let's win this and win it well, no thanks!

Publicity stunt ! Or didn't you bother checking ? Gullible beyond belief , which would appear to be a recurring feature of the no vote !