The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bye then. bye1.gif

Really, who was that then?

So you think they have done their homework.

Show me the numbers (before I put you back on ignore).

Scotland is not a Rwanda (or any of the other nations you quoted). Ignore the fact that not one of the countries that have left the "Empire" has asked to come back, just tell me 5 ways (with explanations, not just a list) each of Canada, Australia, NZ and USA would have benefitted by staying ruled from Westminster compared to going it alone. No???? Thought not.

I don't think you've done YOUR homework. The Union Flag was created by King James VI in 1606 on being crowned as King of England uniting the crowns or the two great countries. In the decree of issuance of the new flag King James stipulated that all ships registered in Scotland and England fly the new Union Jack.

As for your shite about the "Empire" you do realise that Scotland was very much part of Britain whilst it mistreated the indigenous populations in those countries. Indeed in many of the cases it was Scots who were the most notorious and brutal of the oppressors. Still though the Empire had a wonderful and stabilising effect on large chunks of the world. You've been very selective in terms of the countries you've chosen - let me do the same. Tell me how have the lives of the people of Afghanistan, Iraq, Malawi, Zimbabwe, and Uganda been improved since they gained their independence from Great Britain?

Guest TPAFKATS

There was a silent protest outside bbc scotland earlier today concerning their biased reporting of the referendum. Russia Today have a report on it, yet strangely nothing so far from our state broadcaster. This is only a few days after another academic report highlighting bbc bias

#bbcbias

There was a silent protest outside bbc scotland earlier today concerning their biased reporting of the referendum. Russia Today have a report on it, yet strangely nothing so far from our state broadcaster. This is only a few days after another academic report highlighting bbc bias

#bbcbias

Russia repaying Alex Salmond for his kind words about President Putin?

Stuart and any NO voters could you answer me one question of all the countries in the past 50 years who got independence of which there is many can you show me just one country that regrets its independence and proof that it regrets it.

How many "countries" who didn't want independence and didn't get independence have regretted not getting indepedence? Can you show me just one?

How many "countries" who didn't want independence and didn't get independence have regretted not getting indepedence? Can you show me just one?

Presumably they didn't get independence by virtue of a democratic decision. Democrats all love democracy until they don't get their own way. And they behave like cry-babies.

Why did Swinney inform his cabinet colleagues that revenue Scotland would cost between 500-650mn to set up? How did Salmond arrive at his 200mn figure for the entire Scottish state to be set up?

BT said the cost would be £2.4 billion and cited the LSE report.

The guy who actually wrote that report said it had been grossly misused and that BT's figure was about 10-12 times too high.

Divide £2.4 billion by 10 and 12 and you get £200 million to £240 million.

I would guess that's where the number has come from.

Presumably they didn't get independence by virtue of a democratic decision. Democrats all love democracy until they don't get their own way. And they behave like cry-babies.

Indeed.

Quebec is actually an example of a "country" that had an indepedence referendum (1995) where there was a very narrow no vote.

There has been no subsequent referendum as support for indepedence has actually declined in the near decade since.

So here we have an example of a "country" that voted against indepdence and hasn't regretted it.

BT said the cost would be £2.4 billion and cited the LSE report.

The guy who actually wrote that report said it had been grossly misused and that BT's figure was about 10-12 times too high.

Divide £2.4 billion by 10 and 12 and you get £200 million to £240 million.

I would guess that's where the number has come from.

http://icas.org.uk/News/Latest-News/Future-tax-options-examined/

Scotlands CA's reckon nearer 750mn for the tax collection system alone, which is a bit closer to Swinneys original estimate last year. Can you expalin where Salmonds 200mn to set up the entire state state is coming from?

Why won't they give the Scottish voter any sort of costings for what its about to cost them to vote yes? Sure, its a one off cost to set up a state. But I'd like to get an idea of the tax hit we are all in for. Surey hiding the costs from Scottish taxpayers is a bit iffy to say the least?

Its all very well howling at BT or more correctly the treasury, for their efforts. But at least they have dont it however good or bad it may be. Salmonds response was to rush out a figure he plucked for the ether which we all know comes in much lower that Swinney estimated for the Scottish tax collection system alone. Why would Salmond do this?

Indeed.

Quebec is actually an example of a "country" that had an indepedence referendum (1995) where there was a very narrow no vote.

There has been no subsequent referendum as support for indepedence has actually declined in the near decade since.

So here we have an example of a "country" that voted against indepdence and hasn't regretted it.

1995 was actually the second vote . The first vote , which was a much more convincing ,naw , was in 1980. .

Quebec , however , was never a country . It was the province of New France under the French King . The British captured it in 1763 and later exchanged it with Les Francaises for the island of Haiti . .

Guest TPAFKATS

1995 was actually the second vote . The first vote , which was a much more convincing ,naw , was in 1980. .

Quebec , however , was never a country . It was the province of New France under the French King . The British captured it in 1763 and later exchanged it with Les Francaises for the island of Haiti . .

So actually there isn't an example of a country that voted against being independent then?

Classic misinformation from Reynard & the bitter togetherers - the tweet about greggs sausage rolls was better than this pish.

Guest TPAFKATS

Russia repaying Alex Salmond for his kind words about President Putin?

Al-jazeera & Russia today provide better news coverage of UK politics than bbc & ITN do - according to my no voting unionist workmate...

http://icas.org.uk/News/Latest-News/Future-tax-options-examined/

Scotlands CA's reckon nearer 750mn for the tax collection system alone, which is a bit closer to Swinneys original estimate last year. Can you expalin where Salmonds 200mn to set up the entire state state is coming from?

Why won't they give the Scottish voter any sort of costings for what its about to cost them to vote yes? Sure, its a one off cost to set up a state. But I'd like to get an idea of the tax hit we are all in for. Surey hiding the costs from Scottish taxpayers is a bit iffy to say the least?

Its all very well howling at BT or more correctly the treasury, for their efforts. But at least they have dont it however good or bad it may be. Salmonds response was to rush out a figure he plucked for the ether which we all know comes in much lower that Swinney estimated for the Scottish tax collection system alone. Why would Salmond do this?

It'll be for the same reason Salmond and Sturgeon massively inflated the estimates of tax returns from oil using a much higher value per barrel of oil than was deemed wise by the laureate advisers that the SNP had paid for and oft quoted. It's because the actual expert figures don't work for the Independence argument.

It's all part of the big con from the Nationalists who want us to leave the cheque book open for them to cover the cost of their xenophobia. It's sad really.

So actually there isn't an example of a country that voted against being independent then?

Classic misinformation from Reynard & the bitter togetherers - the tweet about greggs sausage rolls was better than this pish.

Most of the bitterness appears to be coming from you...

I put the word "country" in quotation marks for a reason.

Classic misinforamtion from bitter Soprano.

And this avoids the real question... can anyone name a "country" that didn't want indepdence, didn't have a referendum about it and didn't regret not having a referendum and not voting for independence?

Guest TPAFKATS

And this avoids the real question... can anyone name a "country" that didn't want indepdence, didn't have a referendum about it and didn't regret not having a referendum and not voting for independence?

No bitterness or misinformation on my part. Simply showing up the flaws and lies in your post. Oh and your question doesn't actually make sense...

No bitterness or misinformation on my part. Simply showing up the flaws and lies in your post. Oh and your question doesn't actually make sense...

It does actually. Read it again.....rolleyes.gif

I can think of two "countries" right on our doorstep that fit the bill completely and several more across Europe.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Guest TPAFKATS

Over a year to come up with 16 pages, that is basically a tweaked version of labour's proposal. When did Ruthin start favouring more devolution? Probably when she realised that she would never have to implement it...

Over a year to come up with 16 pages, that is basically a tweaked version of labour's proposal. When did Ruthin start favouring more devolution? Probably when she realised that she would never have to implement it...

Dunno about that. I think the Conservatives look a strong bet for an outright majority in 2015 especially as the Nationalists appear to have pushed a large section of the Scottish electorate back to the right

seems to me that both sides are trying to come up with better lies than the other, what i find is that neither have any idea what will happen and what it will cost either way.

they are both awash with self-centred egotists - no change there then, that is what politicians are, i'd much rather we could do without them,

I think i'll just abstain and let them get on with it,then i will decide if i stay living in scotland or pack up and move just over the border

Unsurprisingly the Tories offer makes no sense.

Why only income tax?

If the argument is to be held accountable for spending then why not full tax and borrowing powers?

Why reserve the tax free allowance levels?

Why not Corporation Tax?

Why only 40% of all tax?

This all smacks of trying to buy the electorate.

40% is absolutely useless and she knows it.

I can't understand why any country that didn't want independence would consider having a referendum on independence. Perhaps you can explain why this might happen. huh.png

Guest TPAFKATS

Unsurprisingly the Tories offer makes no sense.

Why only income tax?

If the argument is to be held accountable for spending then why not full tax and borrowing powers?

Why reserve the tax free allowance levels?

Why not Corporation Tax?

Why only 40% of all tax?

This all smacks of trying to buy the electorate.

40% is absolutely useless and she knows it.

Indeed, it offers slightly more on paper than labour's devo nano but actually isnt any use to the Scottish Parliament.

IF Scotland remains in UK it isnt going to be allowed to operate a seperate income tax system from the other parts. In addition it is only income tax as you say, not other income streams and obviously we wouldnt have control over welfare although ruthie seems to think that we could have housing benefit removed from universal credit in Scotland but not elsewhere bangin.gif

A bribe for those who only listen to soundbites and headlines - unfotunately that's a fair proportion of voters