So Farewell To The Legend Lou Reed

Sonny

RIP Lou Reed.

I remember as a very young child one of my Uncles sitting in the room that he called his "sanctuary" listening to Lou Reed and Velvet Underground records whilst smoking something which I knew was different from "normal cigarettes". It was only when I went to College and was at a friend's party where I smelled the same aurora and worked out what my Uncle's "brand" was...

What kind of cigs were they? Northern Lites ?

There was no more influential band than The Velvet Underground.

His solo career was excellent in places too and Metal Machine Music was the ultimate fu c k you to his record company ( and fans).

He liked to keep it simple. My favourite quote of his is "One chord is fine, Two you're pushing it, three you're into jazz"

Good to hear some great recognition of Lou's passing and his influence on music. Even BBC Scotland news was playing song excerpts and having interviews.

Maybe some of the younger readers wont know much about Lou as he wasn't exactly mainstream music but his lyrics and subjects were cutting edge and influenced so many. Try New York or the miore commercial Transformer as well as some of the Vevet Undergroound stuff.

Last saw Lou live 20 years ago performing the New York and Songs for 'Drella sets at the Edinburgh Playhouse. For a so called comeback album, New York was one of his finest works. Long live Lou !

Was that him & John Cale or just him on his own?