Protocol & Procedure While Traversing Towards Red Traffic Light

shull

Most drivers are fine, a minority i dinnae understand.

What is their f*cking rush ?

Why do some drivers drive at a high rate of speed towards Traffic lights that are at red ?

I notice it a lot when i leave the Hurlet and i'm heading for the Lights at Barrhead Road/Crookston Road junction.

I notice ahead that lights are at Red ( so nae rush ) , i then slow by going down the gears and just before the lights, a tap on the brakes will bring me to a halt. Job done, nae hassle, brake pads no getting abused.

Meanwhile, some cars actually increase their speed as they race towards the red lights. WHY ???

Are they imagining somebody with a black and white chequered flag waving them through ?

Do they have to beat everybody to the lights ?

They then slam their brakes on at the last second.

WHO ARE THESE F*CKERS ? ( probably tailgaters also )

Just bad drivers i suppose.

F*CKEM !!!

Why do some drivers drive at a high rate of speed towards Traffic lights that are at red ?

I notice it a lot when i leave the Hurlet and i'm heading for the Lights at Barrhead Road/Crookston Road junction.

I notice ahead that lights are at Red ( so nae rush ) , i then slow by going down the gears and just before the lights, a tap on the brakes will bring me to a halt. Job done, nae hassle, brake pads no getting abused.

Meanwhile, some cars actually increase their speed as they race towards the red lights. WHY ???

Are they imagining somebody with a black and white chequered flag waving them through ?

F*CKEM !!!

apparently that's auld fashioned and they teach you NOT to do that when learning to drive nowadays Faither! Aye... Ah ken! Whit's the world coming to?

Personally, when it turns red, I never speed towards those lights... I do a handbrake turn to slide into the pub car-park and weave through the diners in the car park before doing a heel-toe brake-clutch manoeuvre out of the car park, accelerating towards Baurheed... thus avoiding the lights completely!!! Sorted! zorro.gif

F*CKEM !!!

Agree 100 % . Feckin Tossers.

F*CKEM !!!

What's wrong is the despite tens of thousands of deaths and life changing injuries on our roads, it still remains almost impossible to lose your licence. Apparently it's become a human right and people genuinely believe they'll retain their licence no matter how they drive.

This is the catalyst for the behaviour you are seeing.

What's wrong is the despite tens of thousands of deaths and life changing injuries on our roads, it still remains almost impossible to lose your licence. Apparently it's become a human right and people genuinely believe they'll retain their licence no matter how they drive.

This is the catalyst for the behaviour you are seeing.

Then what such drivers need is, ahem, a catalytic converter.

apparently that's auld fashioned and they teach you NOT to do that when learning to drive nowadays Faither! Aye... Ah ken! Whit's the world coming to?

Personally, when it turns red, I never speed towards those lights... I do a handbrake turn to slide into the pub car-park and weave through the diners in the car park before doing a heel-toe brake-clutch manoeuvre out of the car park, accelerating towards Baurheed... thus avoiding the lights completely!!! Sorted! zorro.gif

I took an advanced driving course a few years ago through my work & the instructor kept telling me off for excessive gear use.

When i questioned him on the reasons for the "new" way of driving which relied heavily on brakes instead of gears to slow down he told me one of the reasons was " that it helped reduce wear on the gearbox & gears !!" lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Bollocks , i told him , i`ve driven over a million miles & never replaced a gearbox !!

What he didnt know was I was working with a market leading brake manufacturer at the time, & i told him that due to the ridiculous methods of teaching,brake pad sales had increased in 5 years by almost 25% while Brake disc renewal had increased by a whopping 75% in the same period !! thumbup2.gif

You're fibbing !!!! thumbdown.gif

F*CKEM !!!

Some the worst offenders for this are your fellow taxi drivers. .

I took an advanced driving course a few years ago through my work & the instructor kept telling me off for excessive gear use.

When i questioned him on the reasons for the "new" way of driving which relied heavily on brakes instead of gears to slow down he told me one of the reasons was " that it helped reduce wear on the gearbox & gears !!" lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Bollocks , i told him , i`ve driven over a million miles & never replaced a gearbox !!

What he didnt know was I was working with a market leading brake manufacturer at the time, & i told him that due to the ridiculous methods of teaching,brake pad sales had increased in 5 years by almost 25% while Brake disc renewal had increased by a whopping 75% in the same period !! thumbup2.gif

Eejits racing up to hundreds of Road Humps every day then slamming their brakes on will not help their Pads or Discs also.

Some the worst offenders for this are your fellow taxi drivers. .

Agree that a few are serious tailgating cnuts .

They just cannae relax and go with the flow of the Traffic keeping a safe distance from the Car in front.

Edited by shull

Also worth considering that cars have been getting heavier during that time frame with all the extra safety devices ,recent Fords and Vauxhalls in particular. .

Also worth considering that cars have been getting heavier during that time frame with all the extra safety devices ,recent Fords and Vauxhalls in particular. .

All the more reason to go down the gears to slow down.

I've never had to replace a gearbox in 26 years of driving a Cab.

And most Cabs had done more than 200000 miles each.

Apart from the real reason for moderate driving habits now being recommended is that you are much more economical on fuel, tyres and brakes, and your own mental equilibrium, it's also that you don't get there any quicker by driving fast and braking sharply than you do when you perceive hazards and traffic flow in plenty of time and drive accordingly.

Though I have yet to attempt TRAVERSING towards a red light... :unsure:

Of course as you will well know , most pads are now made of organic materials too. I'm not saying that not using the gearbox to slow down is bad , but I think there will be more than one contributing factor to the alleged 75% increase!!

they used to put asbestos in brakes.... which is now banned!

I'd rather suffer excess brake ware and some squeals than asbestos-related illnesses.

I passed my test in 1966 and attended a Better Driving Course run by Renfrew and Bute Constabulary Traffic Department. I was taught not to go down through the gears to slow down but to observe the trafic ahead and take my foot off the accelerator to slow down and use the brakes at the end. This has served me well over the years.