shull

Telly Programmes

I watched sportscene on Wednesday night to catch the saints highlights. Did anyone notice that the presenters (Willie Miller) and beeb woman spoke for the majority of the section about Hamilton? I had to check that we had actually played at home on Wednesday! 
No mention of our achievement of moving back into the top six, just how Hamilton are hitting a purple patch and how well they are playing. 

Edited by ALBIONSAINT
Spelling

5 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

The Beeb does seem to employ an awful lot ex-sportsmen as pundits as I said in the rugger thread last week, in fact I recall one Winter Olympics (Seoul I think) when Auntie had more correspondents than GB had competitors! :rolleyes:

The question is are they worth it - on the whole I say no. when I attended my first Saints game Joe Cocker was top of the Hit Parade and I've seen enough football live & on't telly to know a defence splitting pass from an 'orrible sclaff. I'd agree there seems to be more tokenism these days but are the new guys'n'gals any worse or more giggly than Mark "Lawro" Lawrenson? 

Outside of cricket I'd say there never has been a golden age of sports journalism, the present gaggle of cricket commentators who think dropping in a players nickname every 30 minutes or so adds authenticity to their witterings are sadly mistaken.

It does usually take time for ex players to develop, the "old panel" on Sky on a Saturday afternoon were mince to start with but definitely improved. 

It plainly obvious that the Beeb are actively pushing any dope they can find as long as they are black. 

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

The Beeb does seem to employ an awful lot ex-sportsmen as pundits as I said in the rugger thread last week, in fact I recall one Winter Olympics (Seoul I think) when Auntie had more correspondents than GB had competitors! :rolleyes:

The question is are they worth it - concentrating on football I'd say no. when I attended my first Saints game Joe Cocker was top of the Hit Parade and I've seen enough football live & on't telly to know a defence splitting pass from an 'orrible sclaff. I'd agree there seems to be more tokenism these days but the new guys'n'gals aren't any worse or more giggly than Mark "Lawro" Lawrenson? 

Outside of cricket I'd say there never has been a golden age of sports journalism, the present gaggle of cricket commentators who think dropping in a players nickname every 30 minutes or so adds authenticity to their witterings are sadly mistaken.

On a slightly different note Joe Cole currently doing his after match review on BT sport, fick as mince.

Edited by faraway saint

22 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Football Focus, the amount of "token" black co-presenters is becoming beyond a joke.

Currently Carlton Cole, his colour is irrelevant, he's hopeless.

Add in the new "in thing" of Micha Richards, who's also hopeless, unless you like a laughing clown, and it's gone mad.

Oh Alex Scott is excellent, easily worth her spot on the many programmes she appears on. 

Dion Dublin is also pretty decent. 

I agree that the colour of their skin or their gender should be irrelevant. I think Alex Scott is half decent as a pundit but that voice? I think Jermaine Jenas is also a decent a co presenter.

Across the board though, I think there are far too many co commentators  and after-match pundits. I just don't see the need for the continual over analysis of games. 

Football Focus, the amount of "token" black co-presenters is becoming beyond a joke.
Currently Carlton Cole, his colour is irrelevant, he's hopeless.
Add in the new "in thing" of Micha Richards, who's also hopeless, unless you like a laughing clown, and it's gone mad.
Oh Alex Scott is excellent, easily worth her spot on the many programmes she appears on. 
Dion Dublin is also pretty decent. 

Just read this now, this very subject came up on our team call yesterday morning, to me it’s like a form of positive discrimination - TalkSPORT as well as Sky have gone mad with this over the last six months, IMO its clearly wrong as to why or whatever reason the opportunities were not there before and it’s great to correct it, but not with overkill and hire good quality.

The colour of skin doesn’t guarantee good punditry, again IMO Jenas (mentioned on an earlier thread is quality), Richards is dire, I like Ferdinand and I think Robbie Savage is pants.

All about personal taste I guess!!

Jane McDonald was great in her cruise ship programme on Saturday tea time, she was in Iceland, her singing was poor but her warmth and people skills great - love Jane so I do!!

Need to look up where she might be this Saturday or may just leave as a wee surprise....

3 hours ago, salmonbuddie said:
7 hours ago, HSS said:
Bullseye.......2 guys from Renfrewshire who both worked in Rolls Royce.First aired in 1990.

E75E2723-F70F-4202-A513-4578F32037AC.thumb.jpeg.c4e4c38708fe93608fbb427aa7c9782c.jpeg

The guy on the right's my next door neighbour.

Seriously? 😳 

They kept their prizes,shat it at a shot for the jackpot............which was a speedboat 🚤 

Seriously?  
They kept their prizes,shat it at a shot for the jackpot............which was a speedboat  
Aye, Bullseye was before we moved here, though - keep meaning to try and find the full episode.

19 minutes ago, salmonbuddie said:
35 minutes ago, HSS said:
Seriously? emoji15.png 
They kept their prizes,shat it at a shot for the jackpot............which was a speedboat emoji570.png 

Aye, Bullseye was before we moved here, though - keep meaning to try and find the full episode.

They did get over £600 for a local charity which your neighbour kept informing us that “that’s the main reason we are here”

On Friday’s  R4 Newsquiz (and repeated Saturday 12.30) I heard “news” that I’d not picked up elsewhere - concerning Paisley...  I’m kinda guessing you were all keeping quiet about it -
for your own personal reasons?

The NEWSQUIZ ON FRIDAY.

PAISLEY was mentioned with... er... love...
round about 3.15 to 3.50ish

I dunno his source but it caught my ear...
Edited by antrin

3 hours ago, RichardBuddie said:

Just read this now, this very subject came up on our team call yesterday morning, to me it’s like a form of positive discrimination - TalkSPORT as well as Sky have gone mad with this over the last six months, IMO its clearly wrong as to why or whatever reason the opportunities were not there before and it’s great to correct it, but not with overkill and hire good quality.

The colour of skin doesn’t guarantee good punditry, again IMO Jenas (mentioned on an earlier thread is quality), Richards is dire, I like Ferdinand and I think Robbie Savage is pants.

All about personal taste I guess!!

You’ll never know the quality of anything unless it gets a chance to be tested in the real world.

you got it right with “it’s great to correct it”.

There is a long standing under-representation of groups since... forever - these are but tiny steps in the road towards a reflection of reality.  Give them a chance.

On Friday’s  R4 Newsquiz (and repeated Saturday 12.30) I heard “news” that I’d not picked up elsewhere - concerning Paisley...  I’m kinda guessing you were all keeping quiet about it -

The NEWSQUIZ ON FRIDAY.   PAISLEY was mentioned with... er... love... The News Quiz - Series 104 - Episode 8 - BBC Sounds round about 3.15 to 3.50ish   I dunno his source but it caught my ear...
The only source that came up when I (very carefully!) Googled the story was in the Sun. Shull's absence might explain why it hasn't been on here...

17 minutes ago, antrin said:

The NEWSQUIZ ON FRIDAY.

PAISLEY was mentioned with... er... love...
round about 3.15 to 3.50ish

I dunno his source but it caught my ear...

The council are on it.......IMG_20200409_150309.jpg?resize=750%2C350&ssl=1

They did get over £600 for a local charity which your neighbour kept informing us that “that’s the main reason we are here”
In his defence he is genuinely like that. He's a Rangers fan but his daughter has bought Buddies season tickets for her 3 kids and he's been known to take them to games - if asked, they're the only reason he's there!

2 minutes ago, salmonbuddie said:

The only source that came up when I (very carefully!) Googled the story was in the Sun. Shull's absence might explain why it hasn't been on here...

emoji846.png

Hah.  Brain fart by me.  Never even considered googling....  :unsure:

The Sun...  so it must be untrue, then.

my first thought WAS the Car Park in the Sky, though....

but February...?   😮

Hah.  Brain fart by me.  Never even considered googling....  :unsure:
The Sun...  so it must be untrue, then.

my first thought WAS the Car Park in the Sky, though....

but February...?  

Everyone's first thought was car park in the sky.

You have to admire the dedication all the same - mibbes the face masks kept them that wee bit cosier...