Kilmarnock Debt

pozbaird

Its looking more like a brush with insolvency rather than the way it is being spun as Killie going debt free! Johnston looks set to lose power. The hotel is being sold off. Previous chairman writes of £1.8m of loans, other debts swapped for equitty, and 3 new directors step in and provide working captial until next season's season ticket sales comes in.

...they have to pay to rent trailing facilities. We have a low maintenance stadium and we own our own training facility...

I understand the plan to install a plastic pitch is designed to let the team train on it and also to let them generate income by letting it out. Bit of a win/win by the looks of it...

Or maybe they shouldn't of been spending money they never had. Total farce.

We were doing the same long before Kilmarnock did it. Remember the Victor, Archibald era? I amazes me that our supporters think we hold some sort of moral high ground. We were just as guilty as others.

We were doing the same long before Kilmarnock did it. Remember the Victor, Archibald era? I amazes me that our supporters think we hold some sort of moral high ground. We were just as guilty as others.

Gilmour and co have been in place at the club for 15 or 16 years and for most of their tenure we have broken even or reduced the size of our debt. When we got promoted under Hendrie other clubs were happy to run up debts to avoid relegation; eg didn't Dunfermline (promoted with us) end up running up debts of £18m during the Calderwood era, we have seen Gretna liquidated, Rangers liquidated, Motherwell in administration, Dundee in administration twice, Livingston in administration twice, Dunfermline in administration, Hearts in administration during our current board's era and Aberdeen and Dundee United have been saddled with high amounts of debt as have Killie.

The current board have built 6 stands, put in 2 undersoil heating systems, built a training complex and repaid our historic debts from the late 80s/ 90s era. During the first decade of their tenure it was still fashionable for lots of Scottish clubs to show their ambition by speculating to accumulate (following Murray's example at Rangers!). I think we were one of the first clubs to wake up to the new reality about debt levels in football and put in place more sensible budgets for players wages.

In the last few seasons Killie (with debts of £10m) were happy to run at a loss and outbid us on wages for 2 of our players while we were sticking to a budget.

The above post is bang on.

This is the kind of St Mirren we need.

Results will always be up and down despite players and managers , but running the club off the field is what gives us a club to support and makes our club what it is ( which in turn gives most on here the opportunity to moan as often as they like :P ).

I worked with the guy and his son many years ago for Ailsa ,he is self made borrowed money to buy his first Lorry and worked like hell.

Is it true that he is a dyed-in-the-wool rangers fan? I heard as much a couple of years ago and in my water board days 15 years ago, the guys on the sewage works used to refer to them as "Billy Boy" tankers.

Is he not also Gers fan George Bowie's dad

Edited by beyond our ken

Is it true that he is a dyed-in-the-wool rangers fan? I heard as much a couple of years ago and in my water board days 15 years ago, the guys on the sewage works used to refer to them as "Billy Boy" tankers.

Is he not also Gers fan George Bowie's dad

Aye, and David is his Daddy.

Its the son that has bought into Killie. In his late 40's and his involvement is of course firstly business given he will now have a hotel and share of a club with assets and no debt.

He has no real football allegiance (apart from Killie now) and he is building up the community aspects of the club, as St Mirren tried to do, with a view to a longer term investment.

Cheers for that. Just thought there was someone on here with pretty close ties to Killie who said it was running at a loss.

My understanding was that , up until a couple of seasons ago , the hotel was making a loss and then they turned it into a going concern by basically getting more business functions in it. .

TBF , I think it would be a bit of a long shot to say that , that was how they could afford to take players like Tessellar from us . I think that would be more like MJ footing the bill for that . I just don't think killie had more money than us , even with the rather posh hotel , that was always busy on match days .

The only advantage I would say they have is that the ground Rugby Park sits on is valuable real estate (well for Kilmarnock anyway) compared to where we are. .

My understanding was that , up until a couple of seasons ago , the hotel was making a loss and then they turned it into a going concern by basically getting more business functions in it. .

TBF , I think it would be a bit of a long shot to say that , that was how they could afford to take players like Tessellar from us . I think that would be more like MJ footing the bill for that . I just don't think killie had more money than us , even with the rather posh hotel , that was always busy on match days .

The only advantage I would say they have is that the ground Rugby Park sits on is valuable real estate (well for Kilmarnock anyway) compared to where we are. .

Killie's accounts suggest that they continued to keep increasing their wage budget year after year even when they were making a loss and other clubs were slashing their wage budgets post-Setanta and post-Rangers-liquidation.

Is he not also Gers fan George Bowie's dad.

Not sure if he is George Bowies dad ,the son that I knew was called Billy also