Paisley Post Code

RickMcD

Didn't hear it myself but Vanessa Feltz is standing in for Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 and yesterday they were on about a village in England that wanted its post code changed for I suppose snob value. Apparently some dame came on the line and said something along the lines of 'Think that's bad? We live in Scotland and have a PA postcode so everyone naturally assumes we must live in a ghetto'.Cheeky cow, or what?

Didn't hear it myself but Vanessa Feltz is standing in for Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 and yesterday they were on about a village in England that wanted its post code changed for I suppose snob value. Apparently some dame came on the line and said something along the lines of 'Think that's bad? We live in Scotland and have a PA postcode so everyone naturally assumes we must live in a ghetto'.Cheeky cow, or what?

She's not wrong though is she Rick? I know most of the people posting on here have a great affection for the town but the place is a tip and it certainly doesn't make the most of the important buildings that it has - and many of the residents are the kind of people you would hope will never move in next door to you.

I was surprised when moved over to Bute which is Argyle and Bute has a Paisley post code starting PA20. Nobody I have met thinks anything of it though they know it stands for Paisley get the impression Paisley is liked,

When my lady wife told me the story yesterday, the first thing I said to her was that Rothesay had a Paisley post code, a place dear to my heart. I hate broad generalisations. What percentage of PA post code territory is real downmarket? Would it be even 5%?

When my lady wife told me the story yesterday, the first thing I said to her was that Rothesay had a Paisley post code, a place dear to my heart. I hate broad generalisations. What percentage of PA post code territory is real downmarket? Would it be even 5%?

You just know the lady complaining of the post code will come from the village of no knickers and fur coats

She's not wrong though is she Rick? I know most of the people posting on here have a great affection for the town but the place is a tip and it certainly doesn't make the most of the important buildings that it has - and many of the residents are the kind of people you would hope will never move in next door to you.

Tell me one town that has the architecture and lay out as nice as Paisley in the central belt. The town is littered with beautiful parks

FFS you stay out Motherwell , Hamilton area they are shit holes compared to paisley

There is no doubt that Paisley has had it's fair share of issues over the last few decades with the decline in industries that used to be the talk of the town.

In my opinion Paisley has huge potential to grow more so than places like Motherwell, Airdrie and Wishaw. It requires town planners with vision, experience and a proven track record.

Name me another town or city in Scotland or England that has within a 1 mile radius of the centre

- an international airport

- a mainline train station

- a major motorway

- a university

- a large FE college

- an observatory

- historic Abbey as well as many other places of historic interest

- arts centres

- a top flight fitba team

A great deal of money has been spunked on the tram line in Edinburgh.

Just imagine if Paisley was awarded some development grants to transform the industrial buildings along the River Cart to create an environment for people to live and be able to commute.

Or look at other ways to encourage new hitech companies into the area to tap into the student market or create apprenticeships for school leavers.

Paisley is no longer the industrial giant it was. However it has so much going for it and I believe has more potential for diversification and growth than the area you stay in.

I still like the town , the only downside for me is that the place is always empty now compared to days gone by . I miss the crowds. .

There is no doubt that Paisley has had it's fair share of issues over the last few decades with the decline in industries that used to be the talk of the town.

In my opinion Paisley has huge potential to grow more so than places like Motherwell, Airdrie and Wishaw. It requires town planners with vision, experience and a proven track record.

Name me another town or city in Scotland or England that has within a 1 mile radius of the centre

- a major motorway

- a university

- a large FE college

- an observatory

- arts centres

Just imagine if Paisley was awarded some development grants to transform the industrial buildings along the River Cart to create an environment for people to live and be able to commute.

Or look at other ways to encourage new hitech companies into the area to tap into the student market or create apprenticeships for school leavers.

Paisley is no longer the industrial giant it was. However it has so much going for it and I believe has more potential for diversification and growth than the area you stay in.

- a major motorway

- a university

- a large FE college

- an observatory

- arts centres

You would get my vote Sid

lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Have you ever been in Paisley? blink.png

Well, I was born in Paisley, raised in Johnstone Castle and Spateston, and now live in Cumbernauld. I will defend all three places to the hilt. Just about everywhere of a decent size has good bits and bad bits. Unless it's Windsor & Eton or suchlike.

Visitors to Glasgow for the Commonwealth games will have a great time - but all of us on this forum know the amount of areas that no tourist would go anywhere near. American cities? Goodness - I've had fantastic times in New Orleans, Dallas, Chicago and Washington DC amongst many others. According to reports I have read, those cities have the highest murder rates in the USA. Don't be a daft cnut and wander into a dodgy neighbourhood is the only advice you need.

My mate Michael and I spend many days in Paisley taking photos and stopping for caffeine refills and lunch. If anyone hasn't done it, do it. Find out when you can get into Coats Memorial Church. Phone up the guys at the Observatory - they'll take you up the top. Wander the Abbey at your leisure. Take in some of the bridges around town. Look for angles for photos with the renovated Town Hall, the falls at the Watermill Hotel. Go up to Saucilhill and the vista is brilliant. Stop for the toasted bagels and scrambled egg in Cafe Lusso. Grab a coffee in at least three quality places near the library and museum - another building worthy of examination. Visit the town's Premier League football club and buy souvenirs in the club shop.... Ach, shite, and I was doing so well!

Every time I go to the USA I talk Paisley up. Damn right. It's my hometown and I am proud to have been born in it.

Here's a map of the PA post code area, how many people knew Paisley had lochs, mountains and islands.

550px-PA_postcode_area_map.svg.png

Well, I was born in Paisley, raised in Johnstone Castle and Spateston, and now live in Cumbernauld. I will defend all three places to the hilt. Just about everywhere of a decent size has good bits and bad bits. Unless it's Windsor & Eton or suchlike.

Visitors to Glasgow for the Commonwealth games will have a great time - but all of us on this forum know the amount of areas that no tourist would go anywhere near. American cities? Goodness - I've had fantastic times in New Orleans, Dallas, Chicago and Washington DC amongst many others. According to reports I have read, those cities have the highest murder rates in the USA. Don't be a daft cnut and wander into a dodgy neighbourhood is the only advice you need.

My mate Michael and I spend many days in Paisley taking photos and stopping for caffeine refills and lunch. If anyone hasn't done it, do it. Find out when you can get into Coats Memorial Church. Phone up the guys at the Observatory - they'll take you up the top. Wander the Abbey at your leisure. Take in some of the bridges around town. Look for angles for photos with the renovated Town Hall, the falls at the Watermill Hotel. Go up to Saucilhill and the vista is brilliant. Stop for the toasted bagels and scrambled egg in Cafe Lusso. Grab a coffee in at least three quality places near the library and museum - another building worthy of examination. Visit the town's Premier League football club and buy souvenirs in the club shop.... Ach, shite, and I was doing so well!

Every time I go to the USA I talk Paisley up. Damn right. It's my hometown and I am proud to have been born in it.

Great post Poz , only thing Paisley for me has wrong was blocking up a river going through bang smack in the middle of the town , what a highlight for any town to have yest we concrete it up. As Sid says more could be done with the river. Bits need tyded up then give it to private developers as long as they don't concrete it up further down the river.

I'd suppose you'd have to assume the Argyll based 'PA' dissenters are mainly holiday home owners from 'daarn sarrff' who's only experience of Paisley is based upon what they read in various right of centre newspapers in the early 90's ?

I recall a similar anarchical group in the Western Isles, mid 90's campaigning to have their PA status changed to 'G' status. In the end they were given 'IV' and told to get on with it. Some of them (allegedly) refused to attend the recent Paisley mod because of that too. But then again, so did most of Paisley...

^^^^^^^^ Tourist.

Slightly different from LIVING in the place.

Her postcode was prob PA15...

ML & DD postcodes having a go at Paisley - irony alert!

ML8 postcode, where I live, is the second cheapest grouping in the country. PA1, PA3 and PA4 is rated so highly that many insurance companies will refuse to offer cover.

http://www.whichinsurancegroup.co.uk/postcode-risk-ratings-list/ml-motherwell.htm