Creating A Strong Backbone ......

Or total bollox if it's not.

I'm going for the bollox vote.

Me tae.

Lot of bollox in this Thread.

Could be transferred elsewhere.

Shame, because it started off well enough till the Sir Fergies got a hold of it.

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/38400-the-talking-bollox-thread/

Edited by shull

Me tae.

Lot of bollox in this Thread.

Could be transferred elsewhere.

Shame, because it started off well enough till the Sir Fergies got a hold of it.

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/38400-the-talking-bollox-thread/

In fairness.. Probably 95% of the posts on this forum could/should be posted in that thread. A fair number of the threads you started weren't neccessary as that thread was already there!

(And, at a pinch, I could even include one or two of my posts!)whistling.gif

Edited by stlucifer

Jury out on McAusland. No I don't think so IMO the guy is a liability and anybody with a football brain should be able to spot this a mile away.

Will be gutted if McAusland is a first team starter next season,ball on the deck hopeless makes stupid rash clearances and switches off IMO would love it if we sold him released or gave him away

Not too keen on Cheesy- too many errors, in a few cases unforced, but costly. He's a big lad and sometimes runs about looking lumbering and clumsy, Remindes me of Flo when he was at Rangers, but without the goals

It's just people who think they are Jose Mourino but really are just jealous losers.

This is a forum for fans to discuss their football team. They discuss players, the manager, tactics, games, etc.

Can you guys not grasp this?

I believe Goodwin has had 1 red card in his time here, and that was over turned on appeal. Surprised even St Mirren fans are buying into the media witch hunt about his discipline.

You believe wrongly lex...

Off the top of my head I can remember two away games against Hibs where he was on both occasions needlessly sent off. One rash challenge in the middle of the park in the first half and another game for two bookings (where the only surprise was that he didn't get sent off sooner).

There's been many other games where he's been walking a tightrope in the second half, which has had a negative impact on his performance, because of a needless early booking. Good scrapers know when and when not to make fouls... At his age you'd think he'd have learnt to be a bit cuter (sadly not).

I remember reading an article (possibly at the start of last season) where there was a direct quote where he more or less said that he liked being known as a hardman! A daft thing to say if nothing else and somewhat shown up during the incident with Boyd where he could've himself been retrospectively banned for simulation.

It's true that he's had some great games for us, but he's also had some very very poor games. Positionally he's not very good and doesn't read games well imo. Personally I'd like to strengthen this position, get someone in who's a bit more dynamic and try to offload Goodwin who must be one of the top earners.

Oh and media witch hunt? Don't make me laugh... He's a go to guy for the media!

You believe wrongly lex...

Off the top of my head I can remember two away games against Hibs where he was on both occasions needlessly sent off. One rash challenge in the middle of the park in the first half and another game for two bookings (where the only surprise was that he didn't get sent off sooner).

'

Once away to Hibs and Dundee at home come to mind, not sure about the second Hibs away ?

Kendo, I'm not sure if you're being serious or not but if you are then consider this. McAusland's been a mainstay of a team that has perennially flirted with relegation and continually loses soft sloppy goals. If we're really serious about changing the mindset at the club then you could argue that he has been part of the problem and we should look for a better option.

We also don't score a lot of goals but over the last few seasons we've moved on most of the midfielders and strikers who've been involved in that with the exception of Thomson, whose contribution exempts hims from most criticism IMO.

McAusland has had a good run but has never established himself as a really viable option at centre back IMO.

As far as who's better within our budget? I'm not sure as I don't know who's available and I don't know how much we want to spend on a centre back. I'd suggest we allocate a decent amount to this though and go out and get ourselves a real leader who would dominate forwards physically and inspire others around him, bearing in mind we've got two kids playing at full back again next year.

McAusland is a local boy and a fan and for those reasons every Saints fan probably wishes he was the answer but he's just not and if we genuinely have aspirations about replicating the recent successes of the likes of St Johnstone and ICT then strengthening at the back must be a priority.

The player he replaced was Potter.

As for McAusland being the reason for us struggling with relegation can I remind you that our relegation fights were a lot worse before he came into the team. Who could we afford that would do a better job?

As for McAusland being the reason for us struggling with relegation can I remind you that our relegation fights were a lot worse before he came into the team. Who could we afford that would do a better job?

Exactly, we struggled at the wrong end of the table even with world class defenders like Broadfoot, Haining and Cuthbert....

Our problem is at the other end of the park, too much pressure on Thommos shoulders.

I wouldn't say Cheesy, Mair and McGregor are horrific defenders. The problem is none of them were the physical rough and tumble type which they all need as a defensive partner.

If we had someone like Micheal Dubbery who played for the fakes a few years ago we'd be laughing.

Look at the Fakes now. Stephen Anderson and Fraser Wright are hardly world beaters but as a pairing they work so well together.

Just now we have Kello. McAusland, Goodwin and Thompson. Pretty decent spine throughout the team. Add in the likes of Mcginn, Wylde, Naismith and Kelly we have a good team. The other centre back position is vital though. I think Naismith will make a good centre back but we need someone with experience and we would miss Jason's energy and drive going forward.

FFS Kendo!

I never said at any time he was the reason we were struggling. I said he was PART of the problem and we should consider other options. Now unless you don't feel we have a problem defensively or feel he's been a stalwart among fairly ordinary teammates then I'm not sure you could disagree with that.

Also, I'm not sure what the significance of Potter unless it was to illustrate that we've also had poor defenders at this level in previous years? I remember all those struggles well which is why I think we should look to strengthen this area of the team or I see the trend continuing.

At the risk of repeating myself, I don't know who is available and I don't know how much we're willing to invest in the centre of the defence because it's not my job to know, however, just because I can't produce a list of players doesn't invalidate my argument in any way.

Exactly, we struggled at the wrong end of the table even with world class defenders like Broadfoot, Haining and Cuthbert....

Our problem is at the other end of the park, too much pressure on Thommos shoulders.

David, I don't disagree that we need reinforcements for Thommo, however, as I said earlier in this thread the perceived failures we've had in the goal scoring/creativity stakes have all been moved on in the last few years (Guy, Parkin, Imrie, McGowan to name a few) but we've not brought a new centre half to the club for four years.

This feels as though it's turned into a thing about McAusland, which I certainly didn't intend it to be, but I do feel he has been a mainstay in a ropey defence for a few years now and I think we should be looking to upgrade the position to provide the strong backbone the OP was referring to.

Hypothetical I know but I guess the acid test, around how good he is at this level, would be if we were to release him would he find another berth at a Premiership club? My view would be no but until it happens we won't know.