St Mirren V Inverness Caledonian Thistle Scottish Cup 29/11/14

shull

That's because they are 2nd in the League and deservedly so, just like we are deservedly 2nd bottom.

Caley's last two League finishes have been 5th and 4th.......not a shock they are doing well, they are consistent and have been for ages.

A team doing well does not mean the standard has fallen in my book.

Can't agree with that mate , this is the weakest top league I can remember without Servco and Hearts , Hibs were quite rightly relegated and Motherwell who have finished 2 nd two years in row are in freefall.

Queens brought a good crowd I'm sure they nearly filled the away stand so hence the decent crowd

Sorry Billy. I think your memory is playing tricks. In the first leg on the Saturday afternoon the crowd in Dumfries was a huge 2176 with nearly half being away support ie Buddies. Queens could not even fill one of their own stands at home.

A few days later on a weeknight I do not think Queens brought an even greater support on a 170 mile return journey to nearly fill an Away stand at Greenhill Rd that holds 1633. What they did bring was noisy and possibly as high as 400 in my very generous recollection but there are no official figures with St Mirren or Queens.

On Sat via Inverness we had a total crowd of 1957 of which 1760 were Buds.

Last season we played Queens with a crowd of 2775 of which I estimate at least 2300 were Buds (being harsh on us here as I do not reckon Queens brought 475 through for the game).

The season before we played Brechin with a crowd of 2363 of which maybe 100 came from Brechin (again no official stats) giving maybe 2200 Buds.

I am not trying to be a pedant here just pointing out that there is cause for concern about falling attendances. It has been suggested that Saturday's crowd was not an anomaly from normal Scottish Cup games but I think the stats show a different picture. To lose 20+% of your support is a cause for concern.

There's an article in today's PDE, I can;t link to it because the web site seems to have disappeared but here's some quotes from it.

Results had been dismal for a while and supporters were angry at what they decreed a great reluctance on the part of the board to delve into the transfer market

One supporter added 'Almost every season, Saints totter from one crisis to the next and just manage to escape relegation.

However eight defeats followed in the next nine matches and the tone was set. A relegation battle ensued. Just one point from five games during March and April left Saints needing two from the final match in order to avoid the drop.

It all sounds so familiar but this is about Saints in season 65/66

There's an article in today's PDE, I can;t link to it because the web site seems to have disappeared but here's some quotes from it.

It all sounds so familiar but this is about Saints in season 65/66

but you (they) missed the rest of it

"They couldn’t manage to gain them and a 1-1 draw left them hanging on in the hope that Morton would lose to Celtic. Fortunately they did and Saints were saved again"

Can't agree with that mate , this is the weakest top league I can remember without Servco and Hearts

What a load of bollox.

The top of the league is tight as a gnats chuff.

These last two seasons have been a breath of fresh air.

How many different clubs have played in Europe or won Cups in the last 3 years?

You'll find Sevco, Hearts and Hibs exactly where they deserve to be.

Edited by oaksoft

What a load of bollox.

I think he means weak in the football is shite and our club sides do f**k all in Europe sense of the word. They've been a breath of fresh air due to Rangers not being around and some financial issues coming to roost, but the football is the worst I remember. Ten in midfield, four marking one up top, sarcastic cheers when teams win a throw, an influx of absolutely average imports, Celtic winning the league at 65% effort and still very little development of players.

I think he means weak in the football is shite and our club sides do f**k all in Europe sense of the word. They've been a breath of fresh air due to Rangers not being around and some financial issues coming to roost, but the football is the worst I remember. Ten in midfield, four marking one up top, sarcastic cheers when teams win a throw, an influx of absolutely average imports, Celtic winning the league at 65% effort and still very little development of players.

The quality of football certainly hasn't been shite either.

Hamilton, Dundee Utd, Aberdeen and most other teams have played some fabulous football.

I can't think of too many people who care about the SPL title and as for Europe we've not had a team outside the OF doing well since the 80's so what's new?

Very little development of players? Is that a serious point? Virtually every team is developing large numbers of young players. TBH not sure where you are going with this.

From my perspective the only problem in Scottish football is the low crowds at the top level which is down to players wages being too high and the fact that Saints are shit right now. Quite how Rangers, Hearts and Hibs solve those two problems is anyone's guess.

Edited by oaksoft

What a load of bollox.

You need to get a grip on reality , your posts and replies are getting more and more stupid be it your guarantee of a 60-65% win in the Referendum or your rants at fans having their say on TC to this one about the league being tight , bullsh*t , this league is weak and the teams are all weak. Do you really believe this league is not weaker without , Servco , Hearts and Hibs , Give yourself a shake.

Hibs I would agree with mate but Hearts were only that bad because of the deduction and having to cut their squad , I know that was down to them .

Hearts had the depth of young talent and the fans (more money) last year, because they'd been cheating you, me and StMirren for years before that. It WAS down to them, as you say. It didn't make them good then or now, cheating made them good.

Same with Sevco - their years of systematic cheating and our taxes subsidising them , allowed them to build wealth from the 'fans'. It doesn't - even in fantasy FITBA - make them better than the teams currently doing well in the SFPL, who are doing that without the benefits of cheating, AFAIK...

Yep. Hence the league this year is stronger than last year.

Hearts had the depth of young talent and the fans (more money) last year, because they'd been cheating you, me and StMirren for years before that. It WAS down to them, as you say. It didn't make them good then or now, cheating made them good.

Same with Sevco - their years of systematic cheating and our taxes subsidising them , allowed them to build wealth from the 'fans'. It doesn't - even in fantasy FITBA - make them better than the teams currently doing well in the SFPL, who are doing that without the benefits of cheating, AFAIK...

That's true , we suffer because our BOD don't spend money they don't have .