Why Do We Throw Away Talent?

Sonny

So do you think if a player does not perform (for us)we should be able to rip up his contract & kick him out ?

Well no. We should pay them off, like we did with Harkins and Imrie.

I think we shouldn't pay players first team wages if they aren't performing for the first team.

Do you think we should?

Well no. We should pay them off, like we did with Harkins and Imrie.

I think we shouldn't pay players first team wages if they aren't performing for the first team.

Do you think we should?

So we should bring them in & pay up their contracts when it doesnt work out...? No matter at what stage of their contract ? Thats gonna cost a helluva lot of dosh.

Heres a better idea. Employ a manager who actually know how to manage. That will save us a packet in the long run.

So we should bring them in & pay up their contracts when it doesnt work out...? No matter at what stage of their contract ? Thats gonna cost a helluva lot of dosh.

Heres a better idea. Employ a manager who actually know how to manage. That will save us a packet in the long run.

Do you think Imrie/Carey/Harkins should have been starting when here given their performances?

If so, in place of whom?

Do you think Imrie/Carey/Harkins should have been starting when here given their performances?

If so, in place of whom?

Why were they brought to the club by DL & TC if they couldnt man manage them ?

The fact is , the players mentioned have gone on to be better players at other clubs.We were unable to get the best from them for whatever reason

I would have Carey in my my team everyday of the week ahead of the likes of Wylde, you will struggle to find a better crosser of the ball than Carey in the spl, he's also been playing well in the number 10 role behind the striker for County, a position I said he should of got a chance to play while at us.

IMO Carey, Harkins and Imrie have all been pretty inconsistent performers over the course of their careers.

Carey for instance was pretty unremarkable at County last season. Harkins too has been a fat waster at other clubs other than Saints.

I think it's a measure of how bad we are at present, that we're hankering after three very average players.

I've purposely left McGowan out as he is a good player IMO, but given his high wages and problems last season, I can understand why he wasn't kept on.

However, I think given the shite we've witnessed this season, in hindsight, I wish we had offered him a new contract.

IMO Carey, Harkins and Imrie have all been pretty inconsistent performers over the course of their careers.

Carey for instance was pretty unremarkable at County last season. Harkins too has been a fat waster at other clubs other than Saints.

I think it's a measure of how bad we are at present, that we're hankering after three very average players.

I've purposely left McGowan out as he is a good player IMO, but given his high wages and problems last season, I can understand why he wasn't kept on.

However, I think given the shite we've witnessed this season, in hindsight, I wish we had offered him a new contract.

I dont think we`re hankering after these players. Its probably more that these players just seemed to go flat when they came here. Its like starting a new job then realising that the boss is an arse & you`ve made a big mistake joining !!

I would exempt Carey , imo he was far more good than bad at saints but he seems to have really upped it this season at County

I get what the OP is saying, often wondered why some players played well for clubs each side of playing with Saints but never with us.

However, there are plenty of examples of players who have only played well for us and nobody else; take a Van Zanten or Mendes as an example.

Andy Dorman too.

However, there are plenty of examples of players who have only played well for us and nobody else; take a Van Zanten or Mendes as an example.

Excellent post. You don't often see balanced debate on here.

Could be controversial and throw out the likes of Thompson, Newton, Samson, Mair, Lavety, S McGinn, Yardley and Goodwin into that inconvenient navel gazing mix.

The reality is some players work with certain clubs, and some players don't. That footballing fact is universal, from the top level to the bottom.

Ho hum.

Excellent post. You don't often see balanced debate on here.

Could be controversial and throw out the likes of Thompson, Newton, Samson, Mair, Lavety, S McGinn, Yardley and Goodwin into that inconvenient navel gazing mix.

The reality is some players work with certain clubs, and some players don't. That footballing fact is universal, from the top level to the bottom.

Ho hum.

Yardley scored 27 league goals in his only season in senior football before joining st Mirren, finishing as top scorer in Scotland.

are you saying that wasn't successful?

lee mair had decent spells at Dundee, Aberdeen & Dundee united, just as decent as his time at st mirren

Stephen mcginn's career has suffered from injury

Jim Goodwin played hundreds of games in england

Steven Thompson won Scotland caps at Dundee united and earned a big money move to rangers. He earned a fortune playing in England.

this is the inconvenient truth

ho hum!

Yardley scored 27 league goals in his only season in senior football before joining st Mirren, finishing as top scorer in Scotland.

are you saying that wasn't successful?

lee mair had decent spells at Dundee, Aberdeen & Dundee united, just as decent as his time at st mirren

Stephen mcginn's career has suffered from injury

Jim Goodwin played hundreds of games in england

Steven Thompson won Scotland caps at Dundee united and earned a big money move to rangers. He earned a fortune playing in England.

this is the inconvenient truth

ho hum!

Yardley was playing at part time level. Thompson was never a regular first pick at his 3 previous clubs until he came to us.

The point is these players had their best days at St Mirren.

Could also add in the likes of Ricky Gillies and Ludovic Roy.

Without dragging out the history books the original question still stands. Many agree that the players we got rid of did not play consistently well with us. However to dump half a team over a 12 month period and for all of these players to now hold down a first team spot in clubs being more successful than us, and with most achieving star status with their new clubs, indicates to me that something went badly wrong when these players were with us.

Whatever the reason I hope it is addressed and we do not have this embarrassment again.