St Mirren Signing Tactic

then why don't we

To be a bit clearer, and with no agenda, I think the story is more that he said the Dumbarton players get paid well for part time football, add that to their decent full time job salaries they wouldn't give that all up for a risk of a 1 or 2 year full time football contract

I v'e no agenda mate , Shulls right if decent players wish to stay part time then why can't we sign them?

To be brutally honest, it seems to me that many 'full-time' professional footballers in this country work part-time hours anyway, so they might as well be p/t.

If we brought in p/t players they might have just cause to feel aggrieved about receiving a p/t salary while their f/t counterparts pick up a bigger wage and bugger off after lunch in any event.

then why don't we

I v'e no agenda mate , Shulls right if decent players wish to stay part time then why can't we sign them?

Well, since you have asked Linwood, I have a few questions. We are a full-time club and as such our entire coaching setup (schedule and staff) and match prep is based around day time activity.

. When are the Part-Time players going to train with the squad?

. When are the Part-Time players going to be coached on their game?

. When are the Part-Time players going to be educated in the tactics for an upcoming match?

Thanks in advance.

Well, since you have asked Linwood, I have a few questions. We are a full-time club and as such our entire coaching setup (schedule and staff) and match prep is based around day time activity.

. When are the Part-Time players going to be educated in the tactics for an upcoming match?

Thanks in advance.

When did the full time professionals do all the above, last season?

Lol

Probably not. You would imagine he was told the budget he would have to work with before he accepted the job.

I would have thought so too, that makes his comment seem all the more strange? Personally i don't buy the theory it was meant because part time players would be worse off going full time as they would have to give up the second job. Otherwise he would have said that, or more likely said nowt..!

Its a comment he didn't have to make.

Understandable. Guys who hold well paid full-time jobs combined with part-time football ought to be earning more than they would with us full-time.

To be a bit clearer, and with no agenda, I think the story is more that he said the Dumbarton players get paid well for part time football, add that to their decent full time job salaries they wouldn't give that all up for a risk of a 1 or 2 year full time football contract

Why should that be a barrier to us?

Craig Hinchcliffe and John O'Neill both did a job for us as part timers in the First Division as was.

Going further back in time, Doug Somner was only part time when we paid £100,000 for him (the then 3rd highest transfer fee in Scottish football history) and finished as top scorer in the Premier League with 25 goals.

Thanks in advance.

I seen Thommo on a few occasions not long after 1pm that season just passed ,was that him on his lunch break?

When did the full time professionals do all the above, last season?

Lol

Where's your thanks in advance then ? Eh

I would have thought so too, that makes his comment seem all the more strange? Personally i don't buy the theory it was meant because part time players would be worse off going full time as they would have to give up the second job. Otherwise he would have said that, or more likely said nowt..!

There is more security in most jobs outside of football. Signing 1 year contracts here and there for clubs compared to a full-time role which doesnt have a time limit on it.

I seen Thommo on a few occasions not long after 1pm that season just passed ,was that him on his lunch break?

Where's your thanks in advance then ? Eh

With respect, I'm really not sure where you are going with that.

You asked the question 'if decent players wish to stay part time then why can't we sign them?'

I responded. You haven't addressed any of the three questions that I've asked. If you don't want to have a reasoned debate then why ask a question in the first place?

I'm sure everyone has an opinion on how many hours a week pro footballers actually work. But the facts remain, regardless of duration, at SMFC the Training et cetera happens during the day, when Part-Time players will, typically, be working at their 'normal' jobs. That was my answer to your question 'why can't we sign them?'

What is your answers to my questions?

It could be he is finding a nice way of explaining why he intends to take no Dumbarton players to a bigger full time club without hurting their feelings!

With respect, I'm really not sure where you are going with that.

You asked the question 'if decent players wish to stay part time then why can't we sign them?'

I responded. You haven't addressed any of the three questions that I've asked. If you don't want to have a reasoned debate then why ask a question in the first place?

I'm sure everyone has an opinion on how many hours a week pro footballers actually work. But the facts remain, regardless of duration, at SMFC the Training et cetera happens during the day, when Part-Time players will, typically, be working at their 'normal' jobs. That was my answer to your question 'why can't we sign them?'

What is your answers to my questions?

What if they work back-shift with flexability for mid week games? , Go on explain that one.

'What if.....', seriously LB, you honestly cannot see any issue with a full-time professional football club signing Part-Time players?

No I can't mate , if its a way that allows us to get in a couple of experienced players nearing the end of their careers and who may have taken jobs outside football ,what is the issue?.I seen your question regarding training and tactics and fully understand it.

Thanks in advance.

I suppose some of that depends on indivual circumstances and the hours / days they work. Even if they are self employed or own their own business. Some people may work 'compressed hours' for example or shifts.

It may well be that someone can arrange to train at least once a week during the day with their team mates.

If a suitable arrangement can be agreed then, if the player is good enough, its something we should look at.

It worked with Hinchcliffe & O'Neil.

Edited by nosferatu

I suppose some of that depends on indivual circumstances and the hours / days they work. Even if they are self employed or own their own business. Some people may work 'compressed hours' for example or shifts.

It may well be that someone can arrange to train at least once a week during the day with their team mates.

If a suitable arrangement can be agreed then, if the player is good enough, its something we should look at.

It worked with Hinchcliffe & O'Neil.

Agreed, it's the right answers imho. Under the correct set of circumstances anything can work, at least to an extent.

I would hope though that it would be reasonable for anyone to concede there are significant challenges for Full Time Pro clubs contracting Part-Time players, and to be successful it needs a lot of factors to fall in to place. It concerns me that any fans would think there are no issues as appears to be the case on this thread.

With our club still for sale, the BoD coming off a season of horrendous mistakes, and having just been relegated to an extremely competitive league, personally I'd be deeply concerned about St Mirren recruiting Part-Time footballers and what that means for our club going forward. As ever, all about opinions.

Agreed, it's the right answers imho. Under the correct set of circumstances anything can work, at least to an extent.

I would hope though that it would be reasonable for anyone to concede there are significant challenges for Full Time Pro clubs contracting Part-Time players, and to be successful it needs a lot of factors to fall in to place. It concerns me that any fans would think there are no issues as appears to be the case on this thread.

With our club still for sale, the BoD coming off a season of horrendous mistakes, and having just been relegated to an extremely competitive league, personally I'd be deeply concerned about St Mirren recruiting Part-Time footballers and what that means for our club going forward. As ever, all about opinions.

From memory, I think that Hinchcliffe & O'Neil were both able to train at least once a week with their full time team mates during the week.

Going back in time, I think that Doug Somner was also able to wangle time off to train during the day. Even further back, I'm sure that Bobby Reid trained with team mates during the day while working as a trainee solicitor.

Even better examples would be Steve Clarke and Ian Cameron who were both able to train with their full time team mates on many days whilst they were students.

I remember seeing Craig Hinchcliffe getting out his car at some game. Think he wasn't playing, not sure of the exact circumstances, but he had a top of the range sports car and a stunning wag type burd with him. Whatever he did for a living, he was obviously earning far more money than any of his full time team mates!

Anyway, you are right of course, think it needs to be down to the individual circumstances.

I think, again in time again, we considered signing Ken Eadie from Clydebank on more than one occasion but the manager didn't think it would work because he was part time.

I don't know what Eadie's job was.... but he always seemed to score against us!

Ian Murrays statement simply puts a reality check on the seriously bad state of the game here, St Mirren a mere pawn in this shitfest of a footballing wasteland

St Mirren FC a prudent club , a decent provincial club must rely on a strong supply of youth players , academy players, young wonderkids, call them what you like, get them from wherever.......... point is they need to be available.

If young players are good enough, then they are old enough to play the game

No science , no preambling quailfications about game time in pro youth as a pre requisite, get players games, games make players better.

Tweak at the edges by all means, but give the game to the players, give the kids the ball.................

Next week..................Ian Murray tours Renfrewshire in an open top Ford urging St Mirren fans to buy ST's and get to the Stadium and support the team next season

Ian Murrays statement simply puts a reality check on the seriously bad state of the game here, St Mirren a mere pawn in this shitfest of a footballing wasteland

St Mirren FC a prudent club , a decent provincial club must rely on a strong supply of youth players , academy players, young wonderkids, call them what you like, get them from wherever.......... point is they need to be available.

If young players are good enough, then they are old enough to play the game

No science , no preambling quailfications about game time in pro youth as a pre requisite, get players games, games make players better.

Tweak at the edges by all means, but give the game to the players, give the kids the ball.................

Next week..................Ian Murray tours Renfrewshire in an open top Ford urging St Mirren fans to buy ST's and get to the Stadium and support the team next season

I can still remember Fergie doing that when I was a kid , he drove through Ferguslie with his loud speaker , bring back those days.

Yep mate ii is about opinions and mine is that if it allows us access to players whom wish to keep careers outside football then that's what we should do ( an example is Rory McAllister) . Your opinion is different from mine so in this case its an Agree to Disagree scenario.

Two more signed by Dumbarton, and their manager is on holiday too. Obviously Aitken didn't have all the work and time drain of sorting out his club car.

Lord Pity us all, having to read your mundain drones about Dumbartons signings! This thread is a disgrace! We have a new manager at the club, it should be an exciting time for us all. Just like the rest of us he is entitled to his holidays, which would have been ok'd by our board. On his return I am sure he will get on with the job in hand, and I for one will give him my support.

I hope to God Ian Murray never takes an extended lunch break, as I couldn't cope with that thread!!! St.Mirren need our support now more than ever, but I suppose its easier to slag off , complain and be negitive! The future of our club lies with Ian Murray, his new signings and the supporters, so lets get on with it. COYS.