Pace

The one thing that was glaring obvious last season was that we had no pace in the team, it even took young Mallan to beat 5 people to get the ball forward quickly. Well, Thistle, Killie and County all had some pacey players. In fact look at the Rankers, exactly same, no pace and got thrashed. As we did it the game that mattered

I am, sure Ian has identified this, and the fact that Craig wanted to build the team around the statue that was Thommo ( statue now holding the javelin)

Watching Falkirk, QOS and certainly Hearts showed me couple of quick guys create space create chances, you then need someone to put them away.

So what pacey players are out there. Anya like but obviously in our range?

The one thing that was glaring obvious last season was that we had no pace in the team, it even took young Mallan to beat 5 people to get the ball forward quickly. Well, Thistle, Killie and County all had some pacey players. In fact look at the Rankers, exactly same, no pace and got thrashed. As we did it the game that mattered

I am, sure Ian has identified this, and the fact that Craig wanted to build the team around the statue that was Thommo ( statue now holding the javelin)

Watching Falkirk, QOS and certainly Hearts showed me couple of quick guys create space create chances, you then need someone to put them away.

So what pacey players are out there. Anya like but obviously in our range?

Wylde had pace, but not much else.

Having a bit of pace in the team is obviously a good thing, but I don't think it is the be all and end all. We haven't had a player with pace since Mendes that I can recall having made much of an impact, yet we haven't done too badly at times.

I also think early crosses from quite deep positions can wrongfoot a defence, so a pacy player running to the by-line and getting a cross in isn't the only effective option.

That said, I love watching a player who can beat his man and leave him for dead, but, again, this isn't all about pace. Ball control is at least as important (see Mallan against Dundee as you've mentioned).

Ok my fault not just thinking of a winger here, Wylde was a headless chicken, Junior certainly became a better player. I am that old I remember Iain Munro and of course me hero Alex both had pace, But pace from back or midfield can open games and draw fouls, we passed under Danny to little effect bar the Cup run.

Watching Hearts on telly they drove, Hibs passed made them win games at this level

Ok my fault not just thinking of a winger here, Wylde was a headless chicken, Junior certainly became a better player. I am that old I remember Iain Munro and of course me hero Alex both had pace, But pace from back or midfield can open games and draw fouls, we passed under Danny to little effect bar the Cup run.

Watching Hearts on telly they drove, Hibs passed made them win games at this level

Hearts were quick to break, while we endlessly passed the ball at the back, allowing opponents to regroup. I appreciate what you are saying, but I think it is more about how a manager sets his team up to play. Hearts came forward in waves, pulling defenders out of position and creating space.

I think too much focus on the pace of individual players is misplaced. For me, it is more about the pace of attacks - how quickly the ball is passed, and passing it in front of your team mates to run on to (something the likes of McGinn has to work on). Pass and move, and old clichés like that. I want to see a bit more urgency. Incisive, penetrating football.

The best players I ever saw at Love Street had pace, pace to burn despite wee jinky legs.

Mr Dan McGarry, the jinkiest and most skillful of inside forwards/wingers was a fast we bugger, a fast wee bugger indeed.

In saying that Brian McGinty, Davie Elliot and Greg Wylde had pace as well......so other skills are important too.

Wylde had pace, but not much else.

Having a bit of pace in the team is obviously a good thing, but I don't think it is the be all and end all. We haven't had a player with pace since Mendes that I can recall having made much of an impact, yet we haven't done too badly at times.

I also think early crosses from quite deep positions can wrongfoot a defence, so a pacy player running to the by-line and getting a cross in isn't the only effective option.

That said, I love watching a player who can beat his man and leave him for dead, but, again, this isn't all about pace. Ball control is at least as important (see Mallan against Dundee as you've mentioned).

Hasselbaink, Corcoran, and of course Goncalves were all quick and in many ways much more effective than Mendes when played to their strengths as Mendes was particularly in the 1999-2000 season.

I think the original poster is quite correct. All of the most successful sides have players who frighten the opposition with their speed, power and acceleration.

I remember when we had a right good team

Auld Jimmy Bone was the fastest player in the side

Good call, who can forget his direct bolt goal against Dons. Teams hate players running at them, I can see Murray doing the pass to death route, we are not Barca (not yet)