Snp Mp's Are Stupid.

Stuart Dickson

Not my words. Personally I'd go for the lying bastards theory, as I've often said spinning a propaganda story that could have come from the pages of Der Sturmer. Anyway as I said, not my words, but the words of Alex Massie of The Spectator who very easily strips down the SNP claims about Full Fiscal Autonomy in one small and succinct article.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/alex-massie/2015/06/adventures-in-truthiness-the-snp-and-full-fiscal-autonomy/

As a general rule I prefer the stupidity theory to the mendacity concept of politics. That is, if a politician says something obviously wrong it is more probably because they are thicker than mince than because they wish to deceive the public. There are some exceptions to this usual rule but, most of the time, dumb beats cunning.

Occasionally, however, dumb can also be cunning. Consider this statement from Angus Brendan MacNeil, MP for the Western Isles, as recorded by Hansard:CHnHheSWwAAnx_Y.jpg Now Mr MacNeil, bless him, often fumbles his way towards wishful thinking but this will not quite do. The Vow, no matter how ballyhooed it may be these days, said precisely nothing about Full Fiscal Autonomy. We know this because, helpfully, it was splashed on the front page of the Daily Record.

Not that Mr MacNeil is alone. Paul Monaghan, the new SNP (of course!) MP for Caithness nobly decided Mr MacNeil should not zoom alone, tweeting: Screen-Shot-2015-06-16-at-18.17.00.png

Or to put it another way, It’s disgraceful that the Labour party did not support SNP policy even though The Vow said nothing like what we now claim it did.

There is, I concede, a difficulty with terms here. No-one has ever properly defined Home Rule or Devo-Max or even, in some respects (at least those assumed by the SNP) Full Fiscal Autonomy. The latter, for instance, is sometimes taken by enthusiastic Nats to mean that Scotland can have what it wants but that subsidies transfer payments, if and when necessary, should still flow north from London. This, according to Stuart Campbell, vicar of theWings Over Scotland parish, is what we were promised: the best of both worlds. (And of course the Nats think it was The Vow What Won It even though this, too, is not the case.)

But the best of both worlds we actually voted for – closely, I grant, but also undoubtedly – was to be Scottish and British. I understand that still distresses some people but there we have it. As best as can be determined, the Scottish people – thrawn, contradictory, sods though we be – simultaneously desire a kind of independence within the UK so long as that does not mean anything like actual independence. That helps explain why they support the idea of the Scottish parliament controlling welfare and pensions but also think welfare and pension payments should be uniform across the UK. The possibility of change without the awkward reality of actual change.

And that’s fine, I guess. But, at the risk of repeating myself, the SNP’sdefinition of Full Fiscal Autonomy was never offered. No, not even in The Vow and not by Gordon Brown either. More powers for the Holyrood parliament was all that was offered. And whatever else you may say about it, the new Scotland Bill undoubtedly offers that. It does so even if you happen to think, as I do, that it could go further in a number of areas.

So what are the SNP up to? Apart from making it up as they go along, that is. Well, we’re back to our old friend the narrative. This time the story is a simple one, all the better for instructing the tender-brained and under-age.

Scotland, dear old Scotland, you see, is being betrayed again. They promised one thing (though they did not) and are not delivering it (though they kinda are, despite imperfections in the bill). Westmonster and all those Tories – of red or blue hue – are selling Scotland out again and isn’t it disgraceful.

Why, they even have the gall to insist that UK government policy should be set by the government of the United Kingdom, not the SNP. When-oh-when will they cease insulting us in this fashion? No time soon, that’s for sure.

I don’t quite know why Stewart Hosie, the party’s deputy leader, thinks that a ‘failure’ to ‘deliver’ new responsibilities to Holyrood would constitute grounds for another referendum but apparently he does think that. (To be fair to Mr Hosie, he bolstered his left-wing credentials by, quite correctly, arguing that tax competition within the UK would be a “good thing”. Tax competition, of course, is code for cutting tax.)

Does this mean that when the latest – but far from final! – Scotland bill is passed Mr Hosie will accept that the case for a fresh referendum has been lost? Of course not. That case will move on, like a Great Nat Shark, to another issue. Always forwards, never back.

Nevertheless, it does still remain modestly acceptable to disagree with the SNP’s view of things. And possible to do so without betraying Scotland. Indeed, one could make a more-than-decent argument that the wicked Tories, by refusing to grant the SNP’s wishes, are actually acting in the national interest.

Be that as it may, the utterances of SNP MPs does leave one in the desperate position of hoping they are simply thick. The alternative, that they are trying to con the Scottish people by insisting upon things that are plainly, in black on beige, untrue is too dreadful to contemplate. They wouldn’t deliberately seek to promote and perpetrate a lie, would they? Of course not. Which is why I assume that Messrs MacNeil and Monaghan, together with all who agree with them, are simply irredeemably stupid. Cunning too, perhaps, to indulge the national enthusiasm for victimhood in this fashion but, first of all, stupid.

I obviously haven't read whatever ill-informed nonsense the obese jigsaw-monkey has posted on this thread, I just thought I'd mention, since even when he's on ignore I can still see the thread titles he creates, MPs is the plural of MP, not MP's.

Guest TPAFKATS

He quoted Alex Massie. I read no further.

At least Alex Massie published an apology the day after going off on one at Salmond's 'quotes' on Charles Kennedy.

Guest TPAFKATS

Another attempt to get your daily SNP inspired erection.

It is good to see that you have dropped your "overwhelmingly" claim about the result of the referendum that you No voters can't let go of - it's over FFS, let it go.

Repeating yourself? You? Never! Regurgitating and rewording the same flawed and disproven arguments, now that's a different matter.

If only his post had been as concise as the edit you quoted.

Seriously, does anyone bother reading his lengthy snp bad diatribes? Life's too short to spend ripping apart the inaccuracies in his verbal masterbation.

Less is more, dicko. Less is more.

Guest TPAFKATS

I only get the "pleasure" of reading them when I'm on my phone as I can't put him on ignore on it. Even at that, they all basically boil down to just saying "SNP bad".

Ah, 'SNP bad' that single repetitive tactic that has been so successful for the Scottish branch of Labour in the last few years.

He quoted Alex Massie. I read no further.

Congratulations on getting that far. I stopped at the thread title, mainly because of the irony of someone not knowing the plural of MPs (two mistakes when you're only using three letters is damn impressive) calling other folk stupid.

Congratulations on getting that far. I stopped at the thread title, mainly because of the irony of someone not knowing the plural of MPs (two mistakes when you're only using three letters is damn impressive) calling other folk stupid.

The correct phrase would be "someone not knowing the plural of MP".

No 's' required.

I'm beginning to see why bluto enjoys this sort of thing.

Ernie has Stuart on ignore and says he needs to 'let it go'... yet has posted 4 times on this thread alone! lol.gif:

Have you found where the public debt is hiding yet ernie?

lol.gif:

With all those Natsi's struggling to read I'm beginning to think they are all really stupid. I suppose they would have to be to fall for the SNP Party trick of outrageous lies and deflection so readily. The fact that "ernie" doesn't know how public debt is financed whilst Oaksoft thinks 45% represents a majority only serves to back that up. lol.gif

Ernie has Stuart on ignore and says he needs to 'let it go'... yet has posted 4 times on this thread alone! lol.gif:

Have you found where the public debt is hiding yet ernie?

lol.gif:

With all those Natsi's struggling to read I'm beginning to think they are all really stupid. I suppose they would have to be to fall for the SNP Party trick of outrageous lies and deflection so readily. The fact that "ernie" doesn't know how public debt is financed whilst Oaksoft thinks 45% represents a majority only serves to back that up. lol.gif

You two are like Little and Large without the laughs.

Mr D is like a wean that's had his dummy confiscated. Blah blah blah. Get over it Stuart. The SNP won over 50% of the vote, and all but 3 MPs. The same will happen at the Scottish elections and the next referendum will be an overwhelming YES. Accept the inevitable......come on, you know you want to.

Edited by cambiebud

Not my words. Personally I'd go for the lying bastards theory, as I've often said spinning a propaganda story that could have come from the pages of Der Sturmer. Anyway as I said, not my words, but the words of Alex Massie of The Spectator who very easily strips down the SNP claims about Full Fiscal Autonomy in one small and succinct article.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/alex-massie/2015/06/adventures-in-truthiness-the-snp-and-full-fiscal-autonomy/

As a general rule I prefer the stupidity theory to the mendacity concept of politics. That is, if a politician says something obviously wrong it is more probably because they are thicker than mince than because they wish to deceive the public. There are some exceptions to this usual rule but, most of the time, dumb beats cunning.

Occasionally, however, dumb can also be cunning. Consider this statement from Angus Brendan MacNeil, MP for the Western Isles, as recorded by Hansard:CHnHheSWwAAnx_Y.jpg Now Mr MacNeil, bless him, often fumbles his way towards wishful thinking but this will not quite do. The Vow, no matter how ballyhooed it may be these days, said precisely nothing about Full Fiscal Autonomy. We know this because, helpfully, it was splashed on the front page of the Daily Record.

Not that Mr MacNeil is alone. Paul Monaghan, the new SNP (of course!) MP for Caithness nobly decided Mr MacNeil should not zoom alone, tweeting: Screen-Shot-2015-06-16-at-18.17.00.png

Or to put it another way, It’s disgraceful that the Labour party did not support SNP policy even though The Vow said nothing like what we now claim it did.

There is, I concede, a difficulty with terms here. No-one has ever properly defined Home Rule or Devo-Max or even, in some respects (at least those assumed by the SNP) Full Fiscal Autonomy. The latter, for instance, is sometimes taken by enthusiastic Nats to mean that Scotland can have what it wants but that subsidies transfer payments, if and when necessary, should still flow north from London. This, according to Stuart Campbell, vicar of theWings Over Scotland parish, is what we were promised: the best of both worlds. (And of course the Nats think it was The Vow What Won It even though this, too, is not the case.)

But the best of both worlds we actually voted for – closely, I grant, but also undoubtedly – was to be Scottish and British. I understand that still distresses some people but there we have it. As best as can be determined, the Scottish people – thrawn, contradictory, sods though we be – simultaneously desire a kind of independence within the UK so long as that does not mean anything like actual independence. That helps explain why they support the idea of the Scottish parliament controlling welfare and pensions but also think welfare and pension payments should be uniform across the UK. The possibility of change without the awkward reality of actual change.

And that’s fine, I guess. But, at the risk of repeating myself, the SNP’sdefinition of Full Fiscal Autonomy was never offered. No, not even in The Vow and not by Gordon Brown either. More powers for the Holyrood parliament was all that was offered. And whatever else you may say about it, the new Scotland Bill undoubtedly offers that. It does so even if you happen to think, as I do, that it could go further in a number of areas.

So what are the SNP up to? Apart from making it up as they go along, that is. Well, we’re back to our old friend the narrative. This time the story is a simple one, all the better for instructing the tender-brained and under-age.

Scotland, dear old Scotland, you see, is being betrayed again. They promised one thing (though they did not) and are not delivering it (though they kinda are, despite imperfections in the bill). Westmonster and all those Tories – of red or blue hue – are selling Scotland out again and isn’t it disgraceful.

Why, they even have the gall to insist that UK government policy should be set by the government of the United Kingdom, not the SNP. When-oh-when will they cease insulting us in this fashion? No time soon, that’s for sure.

I don’t quite know why Stewart Hosie, the party’s deputy leader, thinks that a ‘failure’ to ‘deliver’ new responsibilities to Holyrood would constitute grounds for another referendum but apparently he does think that. (To be fair to Mr Hosie, he bolstered his left-wing credentials by, quite correctly, arguing that tax competition within the UK would be a “good thing”. Tax competition, of course, is code for cutting tax.)

Does this mean that when the latest – but far from final! – Scotland bill is passed Mr Hosie will accept that the case for a fresh referendum has been lost? Of course not. That case will move on, like a Great Nat Shark, to another issue. Always forwards, never back.

Nevertheless, it does still remain modestly acceptable to disagree with the SNP’s view of things. And possible to do so without betraying Scotland. Indeed, one could make a more-than-decent argument that the wicked Tories, by refusing to grant the SNP’s wishes, are actually acting in the national interest.

Be that as it may, the utterances of SNP MPs does leave one in the desperate position of hoping they are simply thick. The alternative, that they are trying to con the Scottish people by insisting upon things that are plainly, in black on beige, untrue is too dreadful to contemplate. They wouldn’t deliberately seek to promote and perpetrate a lie, would they? Of course not. Which is why I assume that Messrs MacNeil and Monaghan, together with all who agree with them, are simply irredeemably stupid. Cunning too, perhaps, to indulge the national enthusiasm for victimhood in this fashion but, first of all, stupid.

could an article be large and succinct?