Calais

Seaside Nipper

Now the fun really begins.

It appears the last few years have simply been the quiet , phoney war before this clusterf**k of a situation really opens up now.

The Calais residents have had their quality of life damaged, property in many cases over run or ruined. More over the French largely blame the UK and its benefits system. I wondered why this situation never commanded more headlines before now, its a truly horrific situation for all involved , and shows no sign of doing anything , except escalating.

According to the French and many other of our Euro cousins, its all the UK's fault.

Irrespective, I used to enjoy my booze cruise crossings to this place and the travel beyond, but now, erm, no thanks.

The M20's southern end is clogged up. This annoys a lot of Tories.

Cameron wibbled about it this a.m. though there is little that he can practically do.(that I can see/conceive... :unsure: )

The French are doing a lot on their side, but you can understand their angst at, as you say, the clusterf**k on their side of the watter.

The perception that here is the Promised Land persists whatever the reality.

I've heard/seen several belated attempts to redress our good PR recently. (Depicting immigrants who hate what they've found - moaning that it's far worse than they'd been promised, back home.... )

The poor buggers striving to get over will never get to see that, nor will they believe it. They have a dream....

It appears the last few years have simply been the quiet , phoney war before this clusterf**k of a situation really opens up now.

The Calais residents have had their quality of life damaged, property in many cases over run or ruined. More over the French largely blame the UK and its benefits system. I wondered why this situation never commanded more headlines before now, its a truly horrific situation for all involved , and shows no sign of doing anything , except escalating.

According to the French and many other of our Euro cousins, its all the UK's fault.

Irrespective, I used to enjoy my booze cruise crossings to this place and the travel beyond, but now, erm, no thanks.

Always the governments fault when there's nobody else to blame or be prepared to except responsibility.

Let the Calais residents take it up with their own government, they let them cross their borders.

If we were to let 5000 in, there would be 5000 there next week and the week after. Ship them to America, the promised land.

Edited by pod

There was report earlier this week about dozens of villages in Gallecia, Spain being desolate due to de-population Send the buggers there, solve two problems.

Spain's economy is on it's arse, ours is booming.

If I was a migrant, I'd want to come here too.

some typical right-wing bluster on this thread

"ship them to america"

"send the buggers there"

We need to remind ourselves that very few of us can trace our roots back to purely british sources. Most of the asylum seekers are coming from places that have been comprehensively raped or screwed over by the UK, the US and our ilk.

And how booming would the economy be if agriculture, construction, hospitality, health and care had to pay to develop and retain indigigenous workers?

As i travel round the UK i now see more inequality , poverty and desperation than i have ever seen in my 57 years. It's mad to suggest that we live in some sort of benefits-laden utopia that attracts only the lazy and feckless.

Edited by beyond our ken

some typical right-wing bluster on this thread

"ship them to america"

"send the buggers there"

You are seeing the results of a sustained campaign by the Daily Mail, UKIP and the Tories to de-humanise these migrants whilst the "illiteratti" lap this up to the extent that don't even realise they are not only describing fellow human beings but that in actual fact they are describing their own ancestors who were once migrants. In short, we have enough idiots in our population who simply swallow any old bullshit and then parrot it as fact.

I heard one guy on a phone-in wailing that Scotland is stuffed because of immigration and can't accept any more of them.

Stuffed? Really? How do you manage to be so stupid that you can simply ignore the basic fact that the population of Scotland is still largely Pale and Stale?

This is why I have limited patience for most people. I simply can't abide this level of stupidity.

Hmmm, lots of sychophantic bluster around this indeed , in fact I'll disgorge some.............

Being parochial for a moment in this context..............

For example sake, take a walk of an eveing around Govan hill, South side of Glasgow. There's a place that's had its character fundamentally altered , some would suggest erm , not for the better over the last decade. Might not be 'stuffed with immigrants' lol , but by the same token ask any policeman for instance on the demographic shift and the unbelievable correlation to increased 'reported' criminality , it's scary. Now that's before we see headlines from the likes of UKIP or the Daily Mail about the sub culture here and the not yet formally reported goings on ............... not yet in the public domain , but give it time.

On topic, Calais will be lucky if it ever re discovers a sense of itself, its a victim of Geography as much as it is a failure of Europe to attend to this cluster phucking abomination of a migrant/refugee/asylum/chancer/ * (delete as your ethics dicate) crisis.

Hmmm, lots of sychophantic bluster around this indeed , in fact I'll disgorge some.............

For example sake, take a walk of an eveing around Govan hill, South side of Glasgow. There's a place that's had its character fundamentally altered , some would suggest erm , not for the better over the last decade. Might not be 'stuffed with immigrants' lol , but by the same token ask any policeman for instance on the demographic shift and the unbelievable correlation to increased 'reported' criminality , it's scary. Now that's before we see headlines from the likes of UKIP or the Daily Mail about the sub culture here and the not yet formally reported goings on ............... not yet in the public domain , but give it time.

On topic, Calais will be lucky if it ever re discovers a sense of itself, its a victim of Geography as much as it is a failure of Europe to attend to this cluster phucking abomination of a migrant/refugee/asylum/chancer/ * (delete as your ethics dicate) crisis.

I pass through Govanhill most days-it's not a hill and is not near Govan

That is beside the point, Many of my colleagues, live around there and have few complaints you wouldn't have heard decades ago when the area was largely white. Quite honestly, it is no more of a dump than it ever was and one of the main changes has been a shift from young couples in starter flats, middle-aged and elderly long-residing Glawegians to a somewhat younger and more ethnically diverse population where more kids are bieng raised than there were 30 years ago. It's no worse a place than the likes of Easterhouse, Possil, Castlemilk and a few others I could mention. There are quite a few non-european people there. Is that the point you are trying to make? You could make an equal comparison against largely caucasian areas that are as poor and deprived as Govanhill.

That is beside the point, Many of my colleagues, live around there and have few complaints you wouldn't have heard decades ago when the area was largely white. Quite honestly, it is no more of a dump than it ever was and one of the main changes has been a shift from young couples in starter flats, middle-aged and elderly long-residing Glawegians to a somewhat younger and more ethnically diverse population where more kids are bieng raised than there were 30 years ago. It's no worse a place than the likes of Easterhouse, Possil, Castlemilk and a few others I could mention. There are quite a few non-european people there. Is that the point you are trying to make? You could make an equal comparison against largely caucasian areas that are as poor and deprived as Govanhill.

In my lifetime , the first migrants that came in large numbers were from the sub-continent , Indians and Pakistanis . Many of these people had British passports and were entitled to live here but more importantly they all got jobs that they worked hard at and subsequently , many of them now have their own businesses or have passed a thriving business onto there families. .

The "asylum" seekers who come here have in many cases , passed through many other prosperous European countries to come , specifically to here . Now , I don't know why they strived to get here ? What makes Britain more attractive than say , Germany or the Netherlands . .

Can they claim more here ? I don't know . But what I do know is that charity begins at home and there are plenty of our own poor people who may also want the Salvation Army to pay their fuel bills , come winter time. .

Hmm, ok pedantic amendment. Lets say Govanhill , Glasgow Southside, Alison street and the like. That's the generic area referred, never said it was anywhere near Govan and never mentioned a slope. I apologise for the typo.............have a gold star.

Jeez.

I'm merely alluding to the fact that this area, like indeed many others , is on the decline , that fact is undeniable. I'm not apportioning blame nor accusing any ethnic minority in particular, just drawing attention to a demopgraphic shift and a growth in miscreant behaviours.

If I was to risk the suggestion, or perhaps hint at some more recent disturbing developments, I would express some note of concern about for instance Albanian gang activity. That is a vicious trend and is on the spread.

Anyway, each to their own, take it or leave it , jist sayin like......................

Hmm, ok pedantic amendment. Lets say Govanhill , Glasgow Southside, Alison street and the like. That's the generic area referred, never said it was anywhere near Govan and never mentioned a slope. I apologise for the typo.............have a gold star.

Jeez.

I'm merely alluding to the fact that this area, like indeed many others , is on the decline , that fact is undeniable. I'm not apportioning blame nor accusing any ethnic minority in particular, just drawing attention to a demopgraphic shift and a growth in miscreant behaviours.

If I was to risk the suggestion, or perhaps hint at some more recent disturbing developments, I would express some note of concern about for instance Albanian gang activity. That is a vicious trend and is on the spread.

Anyway, each to their own, take it or leave it , jist sayin like......................

Apologies if i came over as the spelling & Gammar police- i don't do that and was just repeating an old joke about Govanhill, no offence intended there. My arthritis affects my typing and i don't spell chack on a football forum, a couple of no marks have pulled me up on just that point recently and I know how irritating that can be.

Let them in then. If it doesn't materialise, then I will apologise.

I think that would be a pretty risk free option.

Let them in and monitor the situation.

Treating them like cattle and talking about them as though they were cattle is not a solution and TBH we should be f**king ashamed of our politicians over this.

They can shut down Yarlswood whilst they are at it.

Imagine caging kids and women in a rundown prison simply because they were born outside the EU.

Edited by oaksoft

What makes Britain more attractive than say , Germany or the Netherlands . .

We are NOT considered more attractive.

You need to look at the numbers of non-EU people we allow to come here and compare it with the countries you've mentioned and you'll spot the issue.

We simply don't take in our fair share in comparison.

There you go, Govanhill. Very unpleasant all round, but nevertheless, sadly, a fact.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/crime/runaway-rapist-jailed-seven-years-6242342

Would it have been better for the victim if the rapist had been Scottish - plenty of those out there roaming the streets?

Some of them even try to dissolve their victims in acid.

I think it's best to separate the crime from the nationality of the perpetrator TBH.