Bobby Duffy

Signed from Vale of Leven in 1967.

Right back who made his Saints debut in the last game of the 1966/67 season at home to St. Johnstone in a 0-0 draw in the First Division (top flight). Saints had already been relegated.

Started as a regular in the 67/68 Saints side at right back as a replacement for the injured Cammy Murray in the Second Division. Lost his starting spot when Murray came back from injury in mid October. Started making appearances in midfield in the second half of that season to cover for an injury to Ronnie Hamilton.

Scored once in a 2-1 of Queen of the South at Love Street on Wednesday 27th September. Peter Kane scoring the other.

Only made a handful of appearances the following season in the top flight and two appearances at the start of the 69/70 season before being released.

Only 5 foot 5 tall.

Season 67/68 was of course the season Saints won the Second Division, scoring 100 league goals in the process, Peter Kane (22), Jim Blair (21), Bobby Adamson (17), Bobby Pinkerton (9) and Ronnie Hamilton (8) being the top scorers.

I'm sure billyg and IOBS will be along to tell you what he was like....

Edited by nosferatu

Signed from Vale of Leven in 1967.

Right back who made his Saints debut in the last game of the 1966/67 season at home to St. Johnstone in a 0-0 draw in the First Division (top flight). Saints had already been relegated.

Started as a regular in the 67/68 Saints side at right back as a replacement for the injured Cammy Murray in the Second Division. Lost his starting spot when Murray came back from injury in mid October. Started making appearances in midfield in the second half of that season to cover for an injury to Ronnie Hamilton.

Scored once in a 2-1 of Queen of the South at Love Street on Wednesday 27th September. Peter Kane scoring the other.

Only made a handful of appearances the following season in the top flight and two appearances at the start of the 69/70 season before being released.

Only 5 foot 5 tall.

Season 67/68 was of course the season Saints won the Second Division, scoring 100 league goals in the process, Peter Kane (22), Jim Blair (21), Bobby Adamson (17), Bobby Pinkerton (9) and Ronnie Hamilton (8) being the top scorers.

I'm sure billyg and IOBS will be along to tell you what he was like....

that brings back memories I was only 13 at the time and one of the original members of the junior supporters club.I remember we used to get the bus from Knox street for away games.Happy days.

He worked in the campbeltown court as the court clerk for a while ,used to come onto the chippy .

brought some pics in of the 67/68 squad.http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums//public/style_emoticons/

default/biggrin.png

Yup that's right. I was working there at the time too. Had a few jars with him in some of Campbeltowns finest establishments

That's the season when I started to go with my pals every week. The highlight being 45,000 plus to see us beat Rangers 1-0 at Love Street and to be the only unbeaten team in the UK.

Rangers had just completed the record £100,000 signing of Colin Stein who scored 8 goals in his first 3 games until he met us.

That's the season when I started to go with my pals every week. The highlight being 45,000 plus to see us beat Rangers 1-0 at Love Street and to be the only unbeaten team in the UK.

Rangers had just completed the record £100,000 signing of Colin Stein who scored 8 goals in his first 3 games until he met us.

remember that night well Hugh Gilshan scored the goal .You could hardly see it for the fog

remember that night well Hugh Gilshan scored the goal .You could hardly see it for the fog

Yes I remember the fans singing lights, lights. For some reason they waited ages into the second half to switch them on. It was a foggy November afternoon.

Colin Stein = £100k

Hughie Gilshan = A pre-season friendly v The Burgh at James Y Keanie Park and a set of training strips !

Saints faced Rangers on a foggy afternoon of Saturday November 16th 1968.

Saints had been undefeated in their first 10 league fixtures, winning 5 and drawing 5.. They had won their previous 2 fixtures, beating Hibs 3-0 at Love Street and then St. Johnstone 3-2 in Perth.

Saints won 1-0 with the attendance being given as 43,600.

Hugh Gilshan scored the winning goal.

Saints line up:

Connaghan, C. Murray, Connell, Fulton, McFadden, E. Murray, Adamson, Blair, Kane, PInkerton, Gilshan. Sub - Hainey.

Unfortunately, that was the end of the undefeated run and SAints lost the following week, 2-0 away to Aberdeen. Indeed, a couple of hammerings, 5-0 away at Celtic and 6-2 away at Dunfermline were endured before the end of the year. A run of 4 successive league victories followed in January before a disappointing end to the season saw Saints win any more league games, losing 9 and drawing 2 of the remaining 11 league fixtures.

This pic was taken at LS v Airdrieonians and it was to prove a significant game. Going into this game we had lost 1 in 10 but the 2-1 defeat in this match signalled the beginning of a 7 match losing streak. One crumb of comfort was Bobby Pinkerton's memorable goal , direct from a corner !