The Politics Thread

shull

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Scottish government in turmoil after the power sharing agreement with the Green Party falls apart. 

I think they’ve had to ditch the Greens as it’s harming them with undecided voters….id guess there have already been behind the scene talks with Alba to make sure the inevitable “no confidence” vote is as secure as it can be

51 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

I think they’ve had to ditch the Greens as it’s harming them with undecided voters….id guess there have already been behind the scene talks with Alba to make sure the inevitable “no confidence” vote is as secure as it can be

Sneaking into bed with Alba could be dangerous as Salmond, IMO, is an individual who has a long memory. 

13 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Sneaking into bed with Alba could be dangerous as Salmond, IMO, is an individual who has a long memory. 

Ash Reagan is the only Alba MSP who has a vote. I did chuckle listening to Alex Salmond on BBC Radio Scotland today, he said “ As a human female adult, Ash has a list of demands to secure her vote “ I wonder what he was getting at 😅

10 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Don't disagree in any way but it would be naive to think these conversations weren't in play pre announcement re Bute House Agreement........I have no real time for Salmond as I think he's a sleaze-ball but he is a good orator and a crafty politician.

20 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Ash Reagan is the only Alba MSP who has a vote. I did chuckle listening to Alex Salmond on BBC Radio Scotland today, he said “ As a human female adult, Ash has a list of demands to secure her vote “ I wonder what he was getting at 😅

:lol Ash and her boss are seriously trolling the SNP big time!

• shull changed the title to So Farewell Then Humza Yousaf
  • shull changed the title to The Politics Thread
9 hours ago, antrin said:

IMG_0421.webp

Oh how I would love this attitude from Westminster. No matter HOW we get there, I would be delighted to achieve independence thus ending the reason for the SNP. A vote for self determination is after all a vote to disband the party whose main reason, in fact core reason, for existence is to free us from the shackles of an uneven, unfair "partnership".

On 4/29/2024 at 5:45 PM, beyond our ken said:

He was a poor appointment given his antics over a nursery place. No moral fibre to the man

i know one family who will be celebrating the hell out of this announcement 

Yes indeed, him and his wife played the racist card with the Dundee  nursery owner and made a right fool of themselves. Who ever advised him to sack the greens was not doing him any favours. Who ever it was has played a blinder as the two elements that were going to be a vote loser in the elections are now gone, Humza and the greens.  

Edited by ALBIONSAINT

1 hour ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Yes indeed, him and his wife played the racist card with the Dundee  nursery owner and made a right fool of themselves. Who ever advised him to sack the greens was not doing him any favours. Who ever it was has played a blinder as the two elements that were going to be a vote loser in the elections are now gone, Humza and the greens.  

I'm of the opinion that the recent events are a sign that the SNP, and the wasteful fantasy of "freedom" are fast disappearing.

Who will transpire to be the leading party remains to be seen.  

11 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I'm of the opinion that the recent events are a sign that the SNP, and the wasteful fantasy of "freedom" are fast disappearing.

Who will transpire to be the leading party remains to be seen.  

In fairness FS that's always been your opinion re Independence and that's your right.......it may be, or not, that you are fitting the narrative to your opinion. I think jettisoning The Greens, for some people, will make SNP more attractive. I haven't seen an Independence Poll since Yousef made his announcements re Bute House Agreement or his resignation but they've all been bouncing around 50/50 for quite a while. The fact that you could fit a sheet of paper between Tory and Labour Policy at the moment doesn't make either of them very attractive at the moment, not that SNP are any better or worse.

17 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

The full story includes the fact that the nursery owner is herself from a Scots-Asian family and is married to a Nigerian

The friends and family of Mrs Humza all collected evidence by phoning up the nursery and being cleared for slots for their kids using what they called white or scottish sounding names.  the only problem being that the slots they asked for were not the ones that the Humzas were denied.  The ones they asked for were already full.  The only finding against the nursery stems from the fact that a poorly-trained admin person dealing with all these sudden requests didn't make it clear that places were being denied on the basis of availability.  They were aghast when they found out the nursery was Asian-owned.

6 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

The full story includes the fact that the nursery owner is herself from a Scots-Asian family and is married to a Nigerian

The friends and family of Mrs Humza all collected evidence by phoning up the nursery and being cleared for slots for their kids using what they called white or scottish sounding names.  the only problem being that the slots they asked for were not the ones that the Humzas were denied.  The ones they asked for were already full.  The only finding against the nursery stems from the fact that a poorly-trained admin person dealing with all these sudden requests didn't make it clear that places were being denied on the basis of availability.  They were aghast when they found out the nursery was Asian-owned.

They didn’t even have the decency to say they had f**ked up, just let the papers run with the narrative that they were being victimised because of there minority status. Lost all faith in him after that episode.

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Swinney already banging on about independence rather that running the country better than it is at the minute.

It's a "no" from me.  

Independence is the way to run the country better. The issues we see are systemic across the UK. 

Almost every parameter in every part of the UK is worse now than it was at the 2014 referendum. It shows voting no was a huge own goal. And project fear was actually projection.