So Farewell then Scottish Independence.....

Stuart Dickson

24 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Well the problem is you refuse to accept the validity of the Barnett Formula which has been accepted by just about every mainstream UK politician for 40 years (and I'm being generous with Farage) so we're going round in circles but you should at least be willing to accept that even your political heroine Margaret Thatcher accepted the Barnett Formula as valid so in this case it's just you and Nigel holding hands and whispering sweet nothings.

Economics is not a hard science it's a mixture of political theory, gathering statistics and guesswork because you're rarely comparing like with like. I'll say it again - I don't think services will need to be cut in an independent Scotland but one area where savings will be made is defence when Trident is scrapped. I've heard the "Greece without the sun"  comparison before it comes from the CPS the monetarist ultras of the Conservative Party, it was a neat headline but even they admitted it was an "impertinent comparison".

Like I said in the first paragraph we're going round in circles. I'm a Keynesian and like I said three weeks ago am prepared to accept a budget deficit so long as it balances out over the economic cycle. Unless you come up with something new or a way to compare apples to apples and not whisky to retsina then we'll just have to agree to disagree. 

The Scottish Economy is in deficit despite it's higher payment from the Barnett Formula. The validity may well be recognised, but there is also universal acknowledgement that the Formula was very much in Scotlands favour - as we've seen whenever anyone suggests to the SNP that maybe it should be looked at again. :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Oh well, mine have went up in real terms - that means everybody must be OK. Is that how it works? Shit, sorry, that was a bit dickological, wasn't it.

Mines have gone down. There's no question about it. I lost a number of very profitable bonuses and benefits around 6 - 7 years ago. The hit back then would have been around 10% quite easily. It didn't cause me any economic hardship though. I suspect the same is true for most households. After all mortgage interest rates fell dramatically around the same period and have stayed at a record low, food prices have fallen and more recently petrol prices have fallen as well. 

Tony is just trying to deflect because he's not got any economic argument for independence. It's sad really....oh wait - so are you. Hmm. :rolleyes:

16 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

The Scottish Economy is in deficit despite it's higher payment from the Barnett Formula. The validity may well be recognised, but there is also universal acknowledgement that the Formula was very much in Scotlands favour - as we've seen whenever anyone suggests to the SNP that maybe it should be looked at again. :rolleyes:

Deficit - old ground.

Is there universal acknowledgement the Barnett Formula is very much in Scotland's favour, more importantly have you any hard evidence to justify the claim or is it just more Unionist bluster?

Edited by Bud the Baker

Guest TPAFKATS

I'm not deflecting.
Apparently well end up like Greece if we're independent.
Just as well we're so much better off in the UK
537f22f2796709c748e3d1a18a20405c.jpg

Oh, wait...

Sent fae ma fone

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

Deficit - old ground.

Is there universal acknowledgement the Barnett Formula is very much in Scotland's favour, more importantly have you any hard evidence to justify the claim or is it just more Unionist bluster?

Really? Do you want me to quote everyone?

I'll make a start. Economics expert  Sam Ashworth Hayes

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Sam+Ashworth-Hayes&form=IE11TR&src=IE11TR&pc=LNJB

Guest TPAFKATS
You still doing this? Tell me, what happened to mortgage interest rates in Greece over the same period?

Oh ffs, now we're onto another issue.
Why don't you address this first before asking about irrelevant Greek mortgage rates.
GERS isn't an accurate reflection of Scotland's finances, even Tories recognise that.

Sent fae ma fone

Sent fae ma fone

Sent fae ma fone

How do you want me to address it? The mortgage rate is relevant because in the UK the low interest rates will offset the wage deflation. The UK government controlled it's economy and the majority of the population benefited. In Greece there was no protection. You are being highly selective in what you are quoting to push your agenda.

• 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, shull said:

Ooooops

The baw is up in the slates. 

:lol:

Its just as well we have all that money in the Oil revenue fund from the last 40 years to offset events such as this ........  Ooops ! :(  

Ach dont worry , at least we haven`t squandered all that money on illegal wars, nukes ..... Ah. Oops again !  :o

Its just as well we have all that money in the Oil revenue fund from the last 40 years to offset events such as this ........  Ooops ! [emoji20]  

Ach dont worry , at least we haven`t squandered all that money on illegal wars, nukes ..... Ah. Oops again !  [emoji33]

£15Bn deficit in the last 12 months, £12Bn deficit the year before.....and yet the SNP tell us their big idea is to borrow even more. Thank f**k for the 55% that wasn't so gullible.

Game over for independence. Game over for the SNP.

On 30/07/2016 at 9:35 PM, TopCat said:

IMG_1469910900.964735.jpg

There's a clear trend away from people supporting Scottish independence since Brexit, unsurprisingly.

It's dead in the water, we will never see an indyref2, and thank goodness!

That R_squared value of 0.1101 should be telling you something about the closeness of the fit of those two lines.

You know that right?

Or are you simply ignoring it?

Maybe someone can explain how the fact that we ran up this deficit whilst attached to Westminster is a case for staying in the UK?

How can you look at Westminster mismanagement on that scale and conclude that Westminster should remain in charge?

That genuinely baffles me. Normally you respond to financial mismanagement by sacking those in charge of it - Westminster.

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

Maybe someone can explain how the fact that we ran up this deficit whilst attached to Westminster is a case for staying in the UK?

How can you look at Westminster mismanagement on that scale and conclude that Westminster should remain in charge?

That genuinely baffles me. Normally you respond to financial mismanagement by sacking those in charge of it - Westminster.

Maybe Slarti will tell you it's cause Scotland hasn't sold enough Premium Bonds to our grannies. :rolleyes: 

Do you need another economics for dummies lesson Oaksoft? 

1 hour ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Come on now, Stuart, we've been through this before. Economics isn't an area of expertise for you (indeed, it's on a par with Oaky's fitba knowledge) . I suggest you spare yourself any further ignominy in this area, and step away from your electronic device.

Edited by Drew

51 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Yes please. Imagine person A is, to all intents and purposes, in complete financial charge of 2 people with person B issued pocket money by A and told to spend that specific amount of money. If person B spends less than money issued they are castigated (as you in fact did when the SG announced an underspend recently) . They have almost no ability to spend more than the amount allocated.

Person A however is an idiot. He has miscalculated and run up a debt of around £14 billion and only tells person B this once person B starts to make noises about running their own affairs.

Why on earth would person A running up this sort of debt be a solid case for him being the only sensible candidate to continue running the finances of person B?

Why would this "blow person B out of the water"?

Explain that and I will be very happy.