And yet some say it was all the fault of England

Stuart Dickson

What? All those Nationalists didn't watch an excellent historical documentary showing that it was Scots who set up the Klu Klux Klan, measured their wealth by the number of slave hits they had, who rallied around the Confederate flag, and who time and time again reinstigated the KKK each time making it more violent, more deadly than the last.

Happy to blame England but less than honest about our own. Sad really

5 hours ago, Slash said:

Wonder whether the BBC will fund a similar documentary into the exploits of two Scots Jardine and Matheson who were accused of starting the Opium trade wars with China that ultimately led to Hong Kong coming under British rule.

Ye cannae whack a bit of drug dealing and land grabbing.

Slavery, racism, land grabbing , drug dealing - and all done by Scots. I thought it was the nasty English that had brought the Union Flag into disrepute. Bizarre... 

Edited by Stuart Dickson

16 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Watched this brilliant documentary yesterday. Well worth the viewing, particularly for those nationalists who like to claim Scotland was a benign partner of the English who committed all the worlds hate crimes. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07yjk0j/scotland-and-the-klan

Silly, 

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Poor Dicko, coming on here and proclaiming as if this was some sort of secret or unknown revelation that the KKK was Scottish in it's foundation.

Think almost everyone with any basic knowledge of history is well aware of this. :lol:

Unionist might be a better description.  Let's see what strand of Scottish society formed a fraternity to suppress a minority that was portrayed as brutal and subhuman. 

1 minute ago, insaintee said:

Unionist might be a better description.  Let's see what strand of Scottish society formed a fraternity to suppress a minority that was portrayed as brutal and subhuman. 

Did you even watch the programme? These were the evicted peasants from the Highland clearances that had moved to the US and were buying up land and working slaves to do their labour for them. You can't put this down to class either. :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

What? All those Nationalists didn't watch an excellent historical documentary showing that it was Scots who set up the Klu Klux Klan, measured their wealth by the number of slave hits they had, who rallied around the Confederate flag, and who time and time again reinstigated the KKK each time making it more violent, more deadly than the last.

Happy to blame England but less than honest about our own. Sad really

It actually showed that it was AMERICANS that founded the KKK. Americans of Ulster- Scots decent. (that's norn ireland to you and me). Yes some misguided interpretation of Scotland contributed to what happened but to portray racism and slavery as a Scottish invention.  I remember having a debate with a friend who is black who castigated me as being of slaver stock. In fact, my stock were miners, agricultural labourers, industrial workers and domestic servants. All of which were barely more than slaves themselves (read about miners in the 1700s).

A good documentary but a bit too narrow in its focus. 

7 minutes ago, insaintee said:

It actually showed that it was AMERICANS that founded the KKK. Americans of Ulster- Scots decent. (that's norn ireland to you and me). Yes some misguided interpretation of Scotland contributed to what happened but to portray racism and slavery as a Scottish invention.  I remember having a debate with a friend who is black who castigated me as being of slaver stock. In fact, my stock were miners, agricultural labourers, industrial workers and domestic servants. All of which were barely more than slaves themselves (read about miners in the 1700s).

A good documentary but a bit too narrow in its focus. 

How wide do you want the focus to be? It was about the KKK and they were covering the roots of the KKK and it's founders - which low and behold were working class Scots. 

You and others like to portray Scotlands history as benign and blame all the ills of the Empire on the English. This documentary debunks your argument completely. Tell me how many of your stock worked in the mills making a living out of a pattern stolen from India and produced from threads harvested by slaves?  

Did you even watch the programme? These were the evicted peasants from the Highland clearances that had moved to the US and were buying up land and working slaves to do their labour for them. You can't put this down to class either. :rolleyes:

Jus Primae Noctis. Ban The Kilt. Clear The Highlands For Sheep. The list goes on.

They probably used their I'll gotten gains from all the crimes they carried out while tagged, just like the guy in the article he quoted in the other thread...

Ach, let's be honest, it just goes to show SNPBaaaad because, stuff, you know.

And that's probably a better justification of SNPBaaaad than StuD's ever managed.

On 06/10/2016 at 10:23 PM, Stuart Dickson said:

How wide do you want the focus to be? It was about the KKK and they were covering the roots of the KKK and it's founders - which low and behold were working class Americans of Ulster scots decent Scots

You and others like to portray Scotlands history as benign and blame all the ills of the Empire on the English. This documentary debunks your argument completely. Tell me how many of your stock worked in the mills making a living out of a pattern stolen from India and produced from threads harvested by slaves?  

How wide do you want the focus to be? Ideally covering the roots and origins of the KKK in it's totality instead of suggesting it was all Sir Walter Scot's fault who is neither representative of all Scots or in any way directly involved 

You and others like to portray Scotlands history as benign  Do I, I've all ready suggested that the unionists fed directly into the KKK.

Tell me how many of your stock worked in the mills making a living out of a pattern stolen from India and produced from threads harvested by slaves? My stock worked on farms and in mines and in heavy industry.  I think your suggestion that the pattern was "stolen" is just silly.  May be we should sue his purpleness for stealing all that paisley stuff, except he's dead. In reference with the conversation I had with my black friend he liked to claim that he was the son of an African chief in Nigerias, so his stock almost certainly did own slaves.   The same argument could be made to day about trainers and footballs. Incidentally after 1860 all UK cotton came from the empire where there were officially no slaves.  There were movement to ban American cotton imports from the 1800s