Brexit - not the PM's choice.

antrin

12 hours ago, Drew said:

Much as I welcome this decision, as a Scottish independence supporter, I wonder how I'd have felt had we had a Yes majority in IndyRef, only for parliament to veto it.

Anyway, many in the govt will welcome this decision. It will allow them to fudge and deflect, and blame someone else (their lawyers and HC judges) for ongoing Brexit shambles.

Indeed , makes you wonder about the validity or purpose of a referendum . .

11 hours ago, shull said:

We have a rightful and proper Prime Minister.

At a General Election we vote for MP's not a Prime Minister.

Whichever Political Party wins the Election, can then choose whoever they want as leader of the Country.

I miss Margaret.

When Gordon Brown became PM the same people now defending May were saying that Brown had no mandate.

16 hours ago, zurich_allan said:

When the referendum was created, they really should have put more thought into the issue. There are so many arguments and counter-arguments about the result.

On one hand, the brexit side 'won' the vote.

But on the other, by creating it as such a binary issue, a brexit result also disenfranchises a large number of the population.

In addition, there is still the argument that although a majority in terms of the vote wanted to leave, in real terms it's less than 40% of the actual voting population.

Then there's the problem that Scotland and Northern Ireland voted remain, whereas England voted to leave.

Ironically, to have made the issue final and avoid any disputes like this, the Government SHOULD have set it out like the vast majority of EU votes are, because it's a fairer all round system.

In their qualified majority voting system, an issue can only be passed if:

55% of member states vote in favour - representing at least 65% of the total EU population

For the UK they could have set the qualified majority as being that Brexit could only happen if, for example, 3 out of 4 of the countries that comprise the UK voted for it, with the number of votes representing at least 50% of the population.

It's not rocket science, and would have nipped in the bud all of the arguments that are currently being made.

I believe the devolved administrations actually requested these safeguards 

Guest TPAFKATS

The proven liar has just been on the radio saying there may have to be a 2nd referendum.

For clarity, I'm referring to Alistair Carmichael, who is an MP not a pipe fitter.

Why is the government appealing the decision of the judges? Don't they accept the decision? Why do they need another decision, the justice of the people has spoken why do we need a second decision? 

Brexit will rip this country and Tory government apart.

55 minutes ago, Kendo said:

Why is the government appealing the decision of the judges? Don't they accept the decision? Why do they need another decision, the justice of the people has spoken why do we need a second decision? 

Brexit will rip this country and Tory government apart.

Interestingly it appears to have ripped the SNP apart. Alex Neal claims he voted for Brexit and that many other prominent SNP members told him they did the same. That's a former party leader, a former party deputy leader, and a former Health Secretary all broken ranks with the party line. 

9 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Interestingly it appears to have ripped the SNP apart. Alex Neal claims he voted for Brexit and that many other prominent SNP members told him they did the same. That's a former party leader, a former party deputy leader, and a former Health Secretary all broken ranks with the party line. 

A million Scots voted for Brexit, so there will be folk from all nooks and crannies of life.   

Iirc, voting brexit was suggested as a somehow tactical way of gaining independence.

Perhaps not a breaking of ranks.

Some of the newspapers today are being a bit disingenuous re. their reporting on these brexit judges (and also reporting in very poor taste).

All they have done is their jobs under the rule of law and separation of powers.

The Government acting as the Crown have tried to nullify an piece of Legislation passed by the Legislature - which is sovereign. Crown Executive powers cannot make changes that effect domestic law without the approval of parliament

The independant Judiciary have applied the checks and balances to make sure that doesn't happen.

Whatever side we are on in terms of Brexit - I think we all should be worried about any pressure to dilute the separation of powers and make the judiciary more 'accountable' to the Government (or even Parliament)

The Government should have made sure they did the homework and had all legislative requirements in place - then again - they never were serious about it - it was just a way for Dave to nullify UKIP support, placate eurosceptic tories and cement his Premiership. As he was playing politics with future of the country I'm glad it worked out well for him.:lol:

Edited by southsidebud

What a pile of wanky pish...

55 minutes ago, antrin said:

A million Scots voted for Brexit, so there will be folk from all nooks and crannies of life.   

Iirc, voting brexit was suggested as a somehow tactical way of gaining independence.

Perhaps not a breaking of ranks.

Gordon Wilson said he would back Brexit in the hope it would provoke Scottish Independence which is a bizarre logic. But Jim Sillars said that he saw the EU as a barrier to Scottish aspirations, and Alex Neal said he was particularly put off the EU by the growing swell of right wing politics across Europe and by the manner in which Greece was dealt with by the EU. 

Guest TPAFKATS

The unionists keep telling us that the SNP are a cult and they all do what they are told.

Now they are being split apart and it's a crisis cos someone says he didn't vote the same as the party leader.

Wanky pishness once again

14 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

He said: "There are 63 members of the (Scottish) parliamentary group, I've only talked to one or two people who have told me that. They'd approached me.

Liar, liar, pants on fire!

Gordon Wilson said he would back Brexit in the hope it would provoke Scottish Independence which is a bizarre logic. But Jim Sillars said that he saw the EU as a barrier to Scottish aspirations, and Alex Neal said he was particularly put off the EU by the growing swell of right wing politics across Europe and by the manner in which Greece was dealt with by the EU. 

What a pile of wanky pish...

On 05/11/2016 at 1:32 PM, tony soprano said:

The unionists keep telling us that the SNP are a cult and they all do what they are told.

Now they are being split apart and it's a crisis cos someone says he didn't vote the same as the party leader.

Wanky pishness once again

Well today in the Herald it's been revealed that the SNP MSP's were all told not to answer questions on Brexit from journalists. Certainly a case of the cult leader trying desperately to censor and silence any contrary opinion from within it's party and very much the kind of thing that Elron Hubbard and his pals have a long history of doing. 

I see the PM has decided new trade deals with India will be the answer once we are out the single market. That will be the same India we deem to be in need of tens of millions of International Aid payments every year ! She hasn't got a clue how to deal with this clusterfuk and trips like this are cringe worthy. More visas for Indians isn't quite how the little Englanders envisaged Brexit panning out I'm sure !

9 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

I see the PM has decided new trade deals with India will be the answer once we are out the single market. That will be the same India we deem to be in need of tens of millions of International Aid payments every year ! She hasn't got a clue how to deal with this clusterfuk and trips like this are cringe worthy. More visas for Indians isn't quite how the little Englanders envisaged Brexit panning out I'm sure !

She thinks she can do deals with developing nations but not yield on visas for their students and graduates.  She is an amateur.

meanwhile, the treasury will be 31 billion a year worse off with only 6 billion saved on EU membership fees.  I am not sure that the money returned from the EU is factored into that.  There is also price inflation without wage inflation due to the weakness of the pound.  Any benefits from a weaker pound are now being wiped out by the fact that we buy most of our raw materials from abroad, meaning we pay more for the materials but get less euros and dollars for what we make.

Going down, despite the current inherent weakness in the Scottish economy, it won't be long before the benefits of being in Britain but out of Europe will be negated and the opposite will be true.  We won't be as well off as we have been but we will be better off than if we go down with HMS UK.