Ukraine v Russia Has Kicked Off

shull

17 minutes ago, eastlandssaint said:

I've heard this from Russia before.

With the Russian forces already looking like they are struggling to make real inroads into Ukraine I'm thinking that they would as good as useless if Russia tried anything on a wider scale.

The next step of possible nuclear weapons would, IMO, see Russia outgunned and while this would have catastrophic results world wide Russia would be destroyed.

The big worry is that Putin is borderline mad so any potential disastrous results for Russia would not deter him. 

We're fast approaching a year since he took the unbelievable move to invade Ukraine when many, myself included, never though he would so all bets are off on his next move. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As this utter tragedy enters its 2nd year I still have trouble believing that it actually happened.

I thought Putin was only flexing his muscles, gathering troops and equipment along the Ukrainian border was, to me, just another way for him to show what he had at his disposal.

I got that wrong.

As it started and has continued I can understand the missiles, tanks and other means to destroy and kill but never thought that humans, given the chance, can be barbaric animals.

The war has also shown that, given the chance, humans can show levels of kindness and generosity that knows no bounds.

It has brought Ukraine to the forefront of the worlds attention and the Ukraine people have shown bravery and strength that's to be admired.

When will it all end? 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

823E0829-31B9-42F6-B355-59D073A1038A.jpeg

It’s bizarre that China is the only country trying to broker talks, although this is tentatively a ploy to align themselves with Russia without getting too involved.

Its clear the Ukrainian resolve is strong so if no talks surface then this shit could make misery of lives for years to come.

2 hours ago, Slarti said:

Russia's border with NATO has about doubled now that Finland has officially joined the alliance today.

What were Putin's aims again?

His aim was to annex as much land from Ukraine as he could,  it wasn't about NATO expansion or his other claim to De-Nazify Ukraine, it's not NATO he's afraid of, With 5000 nuclear missiles why would he be....   it's the spread of Democracy he fears,

Also the reason he helped Lukashenka crush the democracy movement in Belarus,  Democracy threatens Putin not NATO

31 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

His aim was to annex as much land from Ukraine as he could,  it wasn't about NATO expansion or his other claim to De-Nazify Ukraine, it's not NATO he's afraid of, With 5000 nuclear missiles why would he be....   it's the spread of Democracy he fears,

Also the reason he helped Lukashenka crush the democracy movement in Belarus,  Democracy threatens Putin not NATO

NATO expansion and the Democratisation of EU accession countries who also expressed the view that they would seek membership brought both of these elements together. No disagreement with you on Belarus. 
I have visited and worked in Ukraine a number of times in the high tech sector. Mostly young people, Russian Speaking but proud of being Ukrainian. A bit like Scot’s happy to speak English but feel Scottish.

Ok, maybe I should have said his "stated" aims.

1 hour ago, Rascal said:

NATO expansion and the Democratisation of EU accession countries who also expressed the view that they would seek membership brought both of these elements together. No disagreement with you on Belarus. 
I have visited and worked in Ukraine a number of times in the high tech sector. Mostly young people, Russian Speaking but proud of being Ukrainian. A bit like Scot’s happy to speak English but feel Scottish.

What did you expect Putin to say Ricky...  I'm invading Ukraine because they want to be free to choose their own path 

Ukraine with a war in the Dombas, and disputes with Russia in Crimea,  Putin didn't need to invade to stop them joining NATO, they wouldn't be allowed to join 

7 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

What did you expect Putin to say Ricky...  I'm invading Ukraine because they want to be free to choose their own path 

Ukraine with a war in the Dombas, and disputes with Russia in Crimea,  Putin didn't need to invade to stop them joining NATO, they wouldn't be allowed to join 

I agree that, as things stood, pre invasion, Ukraine would have had at least a long wait to be able to join either the EU or NATO. A lot of changes were and still will be required in the internal governance mechanisms before either would be agreed. 

• 4 weeks later...

A "military expert" on Ruszian TV has claimed that Russia can stop the UK from training Ukrainian soldiers by training 15,000 Scottish terrorists in Siberia.

Free holiday in Siberia anyone?

To be honest, I don't speak Russian, so I can't be sure the translation is accurate.