Proposed Conference League

bendan

I haven't seen any mention on here of the SFA's proposed Conference League at tier 5 in Scottish football, supposedly to include 4 B teams who can't be promoted or relegated.

I'd hope St Mirren will not be voting in favour of this, even though we're not likely to be affected in any way. The club should support a proper pyramid being developed. Any word of the clubs position?

7 hours ago, bendan said:

I haven't seen any mention on here of the SFA's proposed Conference League at tier 5 in Scottish football, supposedly to include 4 B teams who can't be promoted or relegated.

I'd hope St Mirren will not be voting in favour of this, even though we're not likely to be affected in any way. The club should support a proper pyramid being developed. Any word of the clubs position?

I agree. I personally hate the idea of 'B teams' in the football pyramid. It's the thin end of the wedge and will likely eventually result in them progressing up the pyramid. Imagine a scenario where the 4 B teams finish top of the Conference consistently over several seasons, the argument will be that they need to move up a level.

On 4/30/2023 at 10:30 PM, bendan said:

I would hugely challenge against that. What we will see with the Colts in play at that level, is an added feather in the cap of the bigot brothers to attract players. Dylan Reid was close to going to Celtic and part of the package was, first team, competitive football at the Colts. Hibs lost Connor Young this season to the Colts. 

The Conference will now have the set, six best Lowland/ Highland league clubs for Colts to play against. The league will also be funded with at least an additional half a million pounds through entry fee, sponsorship and media coverage. This will allow these clubs to strengthen even more. 

Reid didn't go because the level was too low, them being allowed to play at a higher level against better players, will cost clubs like St Mirren, talented youngsters. 

15 minutes ago, Albanian Buddy said:

You can’t attend?

The club needs you more than ever to deal with these problems.

Joking aside.

Why not write direct to SMISA?

I find they respond very quickly.

I did, and they did come back very quick. Basically saying it’s still being discussed & a statement will be out before the vote. 

Still feel, from a visibility and fan inclusion perspective, this would be best discussed at an open forum like the AGM. 

26 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

I did, and they did come back very quick. Basically saying it’s still being discussed & a statement will be out before the vote. 

Still feel, from a visibility and fan inclusion perspective, this would be best discussed at an open forum like the AGM. 

Chase them up again and make sure it’s going to be discussed in your absence. 

7 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Or of course you could wait for a club statement indicating it is in the best interest of the club and spin that instead.

2 hours ago, StanleySaint said:

Or of course you could wait for a club statement indicating it is in the best interest of the club and spin that instead.

If they come out and say the matter is "closed" and give a very well reasoned and clear response in a statement, sure :) 

Let Celtic & Rangers have their colts and 10 other premiership teams can pool resources to create a youth structure with 4-5 players from each club being offered places in a Northern and a Southern development side.  It would be easy to put in place a regulatory system that ensures every player gets equal game time and coaching being delivered through the SFA development structure.

2 hours ago, StanleySaint said:

Really! My concern is that the bully boys get their way and a third of the top league are made up of both sets of bigot A and B sides.

I can’t see that being allowed SS but I could see their Colts becoming the de facto teams playing in the Scottish Leagues as a feeder for their top teams playing in another league. I hope neither scenario comes about.

20 hours ago, gorgo said:

Why are we not pushing to get our colt team involved?
Or is it just the big teams that are getting an invite?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Because the proposal is immoral, unethical & doesn't focus on what Scottish football needs in this sense.

We need  a stronger pathway for young players to develop to senior squads. 

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

Because the proposal is immoral, unethical & doesn't focus on what Scottish football needs in this sense.

We need  a stronger pathway for young players to develop to senior squads. 

You really should have attended the last few meetings and made your opinion public.

I don’t disagree but do something constructive.

12 minutes ago, Albanian Buddy said:

You really should have attended the last few meetings and made your opinion public.

I don’t disagree but do something constructive.

I couldn’t attend the meeting. I have contacted the club & SMISA on it & it looks like there will be fan engagement before the vote.