St Mirren v Hibernian SPFL Premiership 8/11/23

shull

1 hour ago, shull said:

First away game on Supporters Bus was with my Grandad as my Dad was working.

Great night and result.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1971&GameID=197109220

Was a black and white Western SMT coach for above match to Annfield.

The famous Southern Coaches of Barrhead conveyed the Junior Supporters Club. Used to be one bus then we needed three buses during the Fergie's Furies era.

VAR getting absolutely slaughter.

Robinson saying he was one of the biggest fans of bringing it in & all but admitting he’s changed his mind (now he’s seen what this version is like). Rodgers also calling for it to be binned. 

Thoughts on the overarching capacity of VAR to improve the game, what Scottish football has isn’t fit for purpose. We’ve clearly went for the cheap option & it’s made the game worse. Many of us called this. 

4 hours ago, saint in exile said:

You might think so, but here's a few snippets from the Hibs fans.

Definitely shafted minor shirt pull then full on dive. Never a pen in a million years. Genuinely think they are trolling us at present.

Did McLean not initally award a free kick for Hibs? If so, why is the foul which caused that superseded by the Obita foul?

Would love to know why the VAR review for St Mirren’s penalty tonight focused on Obita’s foul and none of the other fouls happening in the box.  As it is, it feels like we’ve been shafted by VAR again with very selective use of it.

VAR, f**king typical and that was never a penalty.

Looking at the penalty decision that went against Hibs last night, there are a couple of obvious points to make.  First, Jordan Obita and Richard Taylor appear to be engaged in nothing more than the usual sort of wrestling seen at every single corner in every game of football ever played. 

What makes you think our fans would be any different?

The ones that I know.

When they saw Mandron's shirt pull v Dundee on TV, they agreed it was a daft and obvious foul.

It was exactly the same incident as midweek.

That's the rule these days, whether we like it or not.

52 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Robinson saying he was one of the biggest fans of bringing it in & all but admitting he’s changed his mind (now he’s seen what this version is like). Rodgers also calling for it to be binned. 

Thoughts on the overarching capacity of VAR to improve the game, what Scottish football has isn’t fit for purpose. We’ve clearly went for the cheap option & it’s made the game worse. Many of us called this. 

Only because the green bigots can't get away with biased refs ignoring incidents that don't favour them, that they'd have got away with pre-VAR.

14 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Don't remember you specifically say we'd go for a cheap option and it would be crap, my impression is that you were against VAR full stop, of course my recollection could be wrong.

I’m still for the principle of VAR, but I agree it’s largely being applied by useless idiots in Scotland and I’m pretty sure having the cheapo version isn’t helping that.

However, as a more general point, I don’t think the image of VAR is being helped by the actual current rules of football. Take offside for example. It should be a simple black and white decision, but people are still moaning about an offside being given because someone is a bawhair offside. Simple. Change the rule to there having to be clear daylight between the players. This also gives the benefit of the doubt to the attacking player which can only be good for the game. 
The handball rule is another minefield. Some of the rules relating to that are are absolute joke, but I’m less clear on how to resolve that one. 
My biggest issue with VAR now is the ridiculous increase in the number of red cards which is completely ruining games as a spectacle. I would stop the use of VAR for giving retrospective red cards. It’s way to subjective and the severity of a challenge is far too easily manipulated by the use of TV, especially slo mo. I would keep it though for overturning incorrect red card decisions by the ref. 
Finally, and finishing on a positive, my favourite thing about VAR is the giving of penalties for shirt pulling in the box. The refs eyes can’t be everywhere and shirt pulling is a pet hate of mine, or should I say the getting away with shirt pulling is a pet hate of mine. Simple message to players, if you pull someone’s shirt in the box, you’re giving away a penalty, so don’t f**king do it! 

Agree with a lot of the above, funnily enough we were having a discussion about VAR in the office and we all thought it would be good to have an ex pro on the VAT team to assist like they do with the stewards in F1, of course we'd have the issue of ugly sister bias to deal with but non celeb former footballers would help with some of the more subjective decisions including the retrospective red cards.

4 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I’m still for the principle of VAR, but I agree it’s largely being applied by useless idiots in Scotland and I’m pretty sure having the cheapo version isn’t helping that.

However, as a more general point, I don’t think the image of VAR is being helped by the actual current rules of football. Take offside for example. It should be a simple black and white decision, but people are still moaning about an offside being given because someone is a bawhair offside. Simple. Change the rule to there having to be clear daylight between the players. This also gives the benefit of the doubt to the attacking player which can only be good for the game. 
The handball rule is another minefield. Some of the rules relating to that are are absolute joke, but I’m less clear on how to resolve that one. 
My biggest issue with VAR now is the ridiculous increase in the number of red cards which is completely ruining games as a spectacle. I would stop the use of VAR for giving retrospective red cards. It’s way to subjective and the severity of a challenge is far too easily manipulated by the use of TV, especially slo mo. I would keep it though for overturning incorrect red card decisions by the ref. 
Finally, and finishing on a positive, my favourite thing about VAR is the giving of penalties for shirt pulling in the box. The refs eyes can’t be everywhere and shirt pulling is a pet hate of mine, or should I say the getting away with shirt pulling is a pet hate of mine. Simple message to players, if you pull someone’s shirt in the box, you’re giving away a penalty, so don’t f**king do it! 

If you pull someone's shirt, no matter how much it impedes a player, outside of the box, a foul is awarded and a yellow card, as per the rules, should be awarded.

Same rules for both in and out of the box.

7 hours ago, StanleySaint said:

Don't remember you specifically say we'd go for a cheap option and it would be crap, my impression is that you were against VAR full stop, of course my recollection could be wrong.

I am against VAR full stop & that view has been vindicated time & time again.

If the top level VAR doesn’t improve the game, a cheap imitation certainly won’t. I called it. 

If the top level VAR doesn’t improve the game, a cheap imitation certainly won’t. I called it. 
So has it's been vindicated more or less times as I've no doubt you would have the figures if it was wrong more times than it's been correct.

2 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:
1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

So has it's been vindicated more or less times as I've no doubt you would have the figures if it was wrong more times than it's been correct.

It’s never been about getting more decisions right. That was obviously going to be the case. 

It’s about breaking up the play, disrupting the beautiful game, taking away from celebrations & yes, a part of it is, moving controversy because it often doesn’t get it right. 

It’s never been about getting more decisions right. That was obviously going to be the case. 

It’s about breaking up the play, disrupting the beautiful game, taking away from celebrations & yes, a part of it is, moving controversy because it often doesn’t get it right. 

Everything you claim about it breaking up the play already happened, celebrations held up cause of a flag already happened. Glad you can admit it gets it correct way more than a few stupid errors, so helping cut out mistakes and causing way less controversy. Most of which is down to more games being shown live than ever before and idiots not knowing the laws of the games and posting shit.

Now away and enjoy a pint with elvis. [emoji14]

2 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Everything you claim about it breaking up the play already happened, celebrations held up cause of a flag already happened. Glad you can admit it gets it correct way more than a few stupid errors, so helping cut out mistakes and causing way less controversy. Most of which is down to more games being shown live than ever before and idiots not knowing the laws of the games and posting shit.

Now away and enjoy a pint with elvis. emoji14.png

Sorry but that’s rubbish. Comparing a flag going up to a sometimes 3, 4, 5 minute VAR check is disingenuous. 

I’ve never once had any view other than VAR will pick up some missed errors & get more right than it gets wrong. It’s always been ‘at what cost?’ 

It doesn’t result in way less controversy though. The controversy that does come from it is amplified. It means instead of talking about great goals, red cards or other aspects of the beautiful game, often we are talking about VAR. 

I’m genuinely surprised anyone is still defending VAR. I imagine it’s more stubbornness at not wanting to admit to being wrong than anything else for the majority.  :)