Mill St/Glasgow Rd Junction Is Changing

HSS

11 minutes ago, HSS said:

This is an interesting development.

Not sure how the introduction of a dedicated left turn at that Incle St - Glasgow road junction will improve traffic flow, but I assume the traffic planning department know what they are doing.

Perhaps we need to attach ourselves together on the statue of St Mirin! 😂 

Appreciate the information HSS.

Sounds a bit mental.  No left turn from Glasgow Road into Mill Street?  That's just going to cause issues in Cotton Street with much more traffic going along there - especially tailbacks from the Bridge Street/Mill Street junction.  Unless there are plans to change the phasing of the lights there - at the moment only 4/5 cars get through (from each lane) - but that will just cause tailbacks on the other streets at that junction as they will have to wait longer.

I suppose it's just going to be another f**kup we'll have to get used to - like the one-way system.

Not sure how the introduction of a dedicated left turn at that Incle St - Glasgow road junction will improve traffic flow, but I assume the traffic planning department know what they are doing.
Perhaps we need to attach ourselves together on the statue of St Mirin! [emoji23] 
Looks like it's more to help pedestrians that are crossing the glasgow road slip outside the cathedral. Currently it's a guessing game if they are going to glasgow road or mill street.

2 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:
1 hour ago, Albanian Buddy said:
Perhaps we need to attach ourselves together on the statue of St Mirin! emoji23.png 

Looks like it's more to help pedestrians that are crossing the glasgow road slip outside the cathedral. Currently it's a guessing game if they are going to glasgow road or mill street.

They could just have stuck a light controlled pedestrian crossing there.

Sounds a bit mental.  No left turn from Glasgow Road into Mill Street?  That's just going to cause issues in Cotton Street with much more traffic going along there - especially tailbacks from the Bridge Street/Mill Street junction.  Unless there are plans to change the phasing of the lights there - at the moment only 4/5 cars get through (from each lane) - but that will just cause tailbacks on the other streets at that junction as they will have to wait longer.

I suppose it's just going to be another f**kup we'll have to get used to - like the one-way system.
Depending on the traffic lights sequencing at Mill/Gordon/Bridge/Lonend junction, I can see Hawkhead and Kilnside roads getting used more to go onto Seedhill Road to get to Mill Street.

33 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:
39 minutes ago, Slarti said:

Depending on the traffic lights sequencing at Mill/Gordon/Bridge/Lonend junction, I can see Hawkhead and Kilnside roads getting used more to go onto Seedhill Road to get to Mill Street.

Possibly, but that will just cause more tailbacks from the Seedhill Road/Mill Street junction.

Maybe they've already considered all this and are planning on changing the phasing of the lights, but I doubt it.

Dunno if I’ve  got this wrong.

The bit where it talks about the Lawn st / Gauze st/ Cotton st junction being replaced by a roundabout …… but they’re saying that the Abbey side of Cotton street Is to be closed off  ( Yellow ), so does that mean a mini roundabout at Lawn / Gauze street or some sort of massive construction to include the other side of carriageway in the red circle.

If not, are cars turning left out of lawn street on this new roundabout then having to turn right across traffic into the single carriageway Cotton street just 50-60 yards along Gauze street ? 

IMG_2872.jpeg

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

Dunno if I’ve  got this wrong.
The bit where it talks about the Lawn st / Gauze st/ Cotton st junction being replaced by a roundabout …… but they’re saying that the Abbey side of Cotton street Is to be closed off  ( Yellow ), so does that mean a mini roundabout at Lawn / Gauze street or some sort of massive construction to include the other side of carriageway in the red circle.
If not, are cars turning left out of lawn street on this new roundabout then having to turn right across traffic into the single carriageway Cotton street just 50-60 yards along Gauze street ? 
IMG_2872.thumb.jpeg.b226585bf8a5447977336951816d1898.jpeg
307ae1b08583ea432fa3a676be5d8f28.jpg

42 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

307ae1b08583ea432fa3a676be5d8f28.jpg

So cars going from Cotton Street and turning right towards Glasgow Road now have to deal with a give way rather than having a set of lights.  Or they need to turn left and go right round the roundabout.  There's also going to be mayhem with cars trying to turn left into Cotton Street and buses going straight on from the bus lane to the roundabout. 

Pedestrian crossings, that are not part of an integrated traffic light system, immediately off of two of the exits from the roundabout are just going to cause tailbacks onto the roundabout.

I don't think this has really been thought through very well.

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

d6ecdf3536e07709e74d697898cae7ce.jpg

Does that mean that you can't turn into Christie Street from Glasgow Road?  If so, and seeing that you won't be able to turn left into Mill Street, traffic coming from the east on Glasgow Road going to the Lagoon will have to go round Cotton Street to Mill Street and back along or down Kilnside to Seedhill to Mill Street (or maybe even round the one-way system and back - or Incle-Lawn-Silk-Gauze-Mill) which will result in more traffic turning right across Mill Street to the Lagoon, causing more tailbacks and potential accidents.

f**king mental.

So are we all agreed that the road planning department are not fit for purpose? 
Bring back the good auld days of trams, plenty of buses and being able to drive up the high street!

Aye, horse drawn trams - them were the days, at least that's what that auld fart Faraway tells me. :whistle