Mill Street Blues

HSS

29 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

We are now feeling the full force of poor economic management from the current SNP government. 

And no one could fail to notice the atrocious weather we now get in Scotland their mismanagement has caused, can't recall ever getting weather like this under a unionist government, 

And for the benefit of our younger posters, back in the day we'd spend all our summers holidays soaking up the sun for weeks on end in Saltcoats Stevenson with all the amenities these resorts had to offer, A cooling breeze, sand and eh big sandy hill things, we were spoiled rotten back in those days

All a distant memory under this SNP government 

21 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

And no one could fail to notice the atrocious weather we now get in Scotland their mismanagement has caused, can't recall ever getting weather like this under a unionist government, 

And for the benefit of our younger posters, back in the day we'd spend all our summers holidays soaking up the sun for weeks on end in Saltcoats Stevenson with all the amenities these resorts had to offer, A cooling breeze, sand and eh big sandy hill things, we were spoiled rotten back in those days

& Don’t forget the price & size of a Freddo . 😎

On 12/17/2023 at 1:01 PM, portmahomack saint said:

Your trip down memory lane is very nostalgic, however I did say current SNP government. The FM thought it would make prudent fiscal sense to freeze the council tax in some sort of populist publicity stunt at a time when local councils are struggling (indeed some may be on the brink of bankruptcy) this freeze will benefit everyone one, however should it benefit everyone? (Bands F,G,H) add onto this a raft of universal benefits and your looking at major cuts in services. I think one of the council run care homes in Paisley is in line to be closed in 2024. 

Edited by ALBIONSAINT

1 hour ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Your trip down memory lane is very nostalgic, however I did say current SNP government. The FM thought it would make prudent fiscal sense to freeze the council tax in some sort of populist publicity stunt at a time when local councils are struggling (indeed some may be on the brink of bankruptcy) this freeze will benefit everyone one, however should it benefit everyone? (Bands F,G,H) add onto this a raft of universal benefits and your looking at major cuts in services. I think one of the council run care homes in Paisley is in line to be closed in 2024. 

Although I am an independence supporter I don't agree with a lot of what the SNP have done in government. The freeze is. I believe, a poorly thought out gimmick which may backfire spectacularly in the medium term.

I never agreed with baby boxes for all and, even though I probably benefit from it, free prescriptions for all plus minimum price for alcohol. The first two because, as a country, we could spend the limited resources we have better and the latter because it smacks of a nanny state mentality. Also, though it isn't exclusively SNP handiwork, The premature introduction of LEZs and the chaotic attempt to "piss in the wind" by unilaterally introducing the ill-fated bottle return scheme. Much of this caused by allowing the tail that is the greens to wag the dog.

1 hour ago, stlucifer said:

Although I am an independence supporter I don't agree with a lot of what the SNP have done in government. The freeze is. I believe, a poorly thought out gimmick which may backfire spectacularly in the medium term.

I never agreed with baby boxes for all and, even though I probably benefit from it, free prescriptions for all plus minimum price for alcohol. The first two because, as a country, we could spend the limited resources we have better and the latter because it smacks of a nanny state mentality. Also, though it isn't exclusively SNP handiwork, The premature introduction of LEZs and the chaotic attempt to "piss in the wind" by unilaterally introducing the ill-fated bottle return scheme. Much of this caused by allowing the tail that is the greens to wag the dog.

That pretty much sums me up too,

Bring back the King Alex

3 hours ago, stlucifer said:

A good post, well done.

I would suggest that most of these decisions (prescriptions, council tax freeze, minimum price on alcohol) were merely an attempt to bribe the public into thinking the SNP could provide a land of milk and honey through independence.

I believe they could have provided a better Scotland if they had concentrated on governing with the large majority they held.

Independance, a costly exercise, sidetracking them from doing their job. 

PS I also happen to think wee Nicky was, overall, a very decent politician. 

Edited by faraway saint

On 12/17/2023 at 11:18 AM, ALBIONSAINT said:

We are now feeling the full force of poor economic management from the current SNP government. 

In case you havent noticed, the cuts administered by Westminster have consequential knock-on in Scotland

Hunt's recent tax giveaways are really cuts elsewhere and the consequential cut passes on to Scotland's budget.

All that being said, i can see that in this century there is less need for physical estate and the major Police hub in Govan is only a few miles away,  if it means we spend less on buildings like Mill St, which wads decrepit after less than 10 years use, then the actual policing of the town can be better preserved

In case you havent noticed, the cuts administered by Westminster have consequential knock-on in Scotland
Hunt's recent tax giveaways are really cuts elsewhere and the consequential cut passes on to Scotland's budget.
All that being said, i can see that in this century there is less need for physical estate and the major Police hub in Govan is only a few miles away,  if it means we spend less on buildings like Mill St, which wads decrepit after less than 10 years use, then the actual policing of the town can be better preserved
Aye, but it's further for Cookie to walk home after he's "been allowed" to sleep it off in a cell. :whistle

6 minutes ago, Slarti said:

Aye, but it's further for Cookie to walk home after he's "been allowed" to sleep it off in a cell. :whistle

The cells at Mill St have been closed for years 

You’re lucky if you get Govan as the other option is greenock and you don’t get a lift home 😂