Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

I have been working on a wee project of photographing old or unusual buildings in Paisley as Paisley has some absolutely great architecture. I am also photographing places of local interest.

I thought I would post one of the images every few days. These images will initially have no information. However, to test your local knowledge, I would be grateful if someone else could identify and provide the name and location of the building; mention anything about its history or any memories you may have with the building or place.

For the FFF's it may bring a tear (or remind you why you left). For everyone else it may bring you a smile, some good memories or improve your local history. Some images will be very easy and beyond identification and other images may be more taxing.

The first image (in this long series) should not be too hard for most of you to identify -

PICTURE 1

post-2737-0-86739400-1331401742_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

on the other thread, say something nice about Paisley,

I've just got back to Essex after a weekend up for the dundee united game with 3 mates from London. We walked from the Watermill to Greenhill Road yesterday for 5 a sides & one of the lads remarked "isn't paisely picturesque"

as Bluto suggested too, it is when you look up.

This will be a great thread, demonstarting to folks much of teh fine architecture that we don't recognise / take for granted as it gets passed by everyday.

As for the pic, I can shed no light on its history.

Edited by Kombi Buddie

Thank you Sonny for starting this thread.

It's a lot better than some of the threads started by certain supposed St.Mirren fans who would rather castigate one of their most promising young players than spend time reminiscing about Paisley's history and beauty.

Now.............................................. do you have a photie of the old Paisley Jail for Paul McGowanrolleyes.gif

Thank you Sonny for starting this thread.

It's a lot better than some of the threads started by certain supposed St.Mirren fans who would rather castigate one of their most promising young players than spend time reminiscing about Paisley's history and beauty.

Now.............................................. do you have a photie of the old Paisley Jail for Paul McGowanrolleyes.gif

What about when witches were, seemingly, burnt at the cross?

It's behind the building in which Buddies Bar sits.

Didnae know that... but Gallow Green's a wee bit East of there.

IIRC, you can walk into it from Queen Street, where there's a gap in the buildings, now.

Back in the day there was a wee walkway between Maxwellton and Queen Street that led there. It was used as a drying green.

Sorry - OFF TOPIC... sad.png

What WAS the function of the building in the pic?

A carpet field, right enough...? unsure.png

My father worked at Andersons Fireplaces in Queen Street.

Memories right enough...............................

I am a photographer and not a historian. All I can tell you about PICTURE 1 is that Salmonbuddie and Dirty Sanchez are correct. The building was originally built for the Nethercommon Carpet Factory. Dont know anything else about it. Anyone else know anything?

Here is a picture of it when it was a carpet factory. Dont know the date of the photo.

post-2737-0-30265900-1329764500_thumb.jp

I am a photographer and not a historian. All I can tell you about PICTURE 1 is that Salmonbuddie and Dirty Sanchez are correct. The building was originally built for the Nethercommon Carpet Factory. Dont know anything else about it. Anyone else know anything?

Here is a picture of it when it was a carpet factory. Dont know the date of the photo.

The photo shown was after the carpet factory.It then belonged to Langs the Timber Merchants.It's last owners before it became flats,used to be one of our chairmen at Love Street.

G. L. Foulds. Some of our older members will recall his wife, Maggie Foulds and the receiption she used to recieve for the North Bank.(Jim Clunie)

Edited by pod