My Gig Of The Year

beyond our ken

Just back from Elvis Costello in Edinburgh - brilliant as always, but I enjoyed last year's Glasgow gig more. Nothing to do with his performance - everything to do with me having an ear infection, dried blood blocking up my lugs, and the antibiotics not kicking in yet.

Basturt.

That's my gig of the year decided! Bruce Springsteen tonight at Hampden. Three and a half hours of sheer brilliance. That's the best I've ever seen him, and his past gigs have been stormers. Rush three weeks ago, Elvis Costello on Sunday, and Bruce Springsteen tonight - don't think I've ever had a greater run of stunningly good live acts together in such a short space of time. All three are totally different shows, but all three acts are masters of their trade... and all aren't spring chickens any more either!

Just back from Hampden, too. That's 3 times this year. Should have bought a season ticket thumbup2.gif

Bruce was just brilliant - three and a half hours! That's bound to please a Paisley boy. Fantastic rapport with fans, great sound, amazing screens, wonderfully unpredictable set and incredible energy and stamina from a 63 year old.

But...

It was designed to be accessible. The Boss is a commercial giant. Saw Neil Young last Thursday and his gig was about musicianship. He's a musical giant. He plays gigs to entertain himself, not other people. Bruce is a star, but Neil is a supernova.

I like Neil Young, but if he's playing ten minutes of white noise feedback to 'entertain' himself, then he's being a self-indulgent fanny. IMHO naturally. At 60 odd quid a ticket, he should be playing to entertain the 10,000 crowd. I mean, I have loved U2 since before their debut album even came out, but when Bono turns into Mother Teresa of Calcutta at big gigs these days, he can fcuk off. I'm there to hear 'With or Without You', 'One' or 'Vertigo' - not twenty minutes of shite about a Burmese political prisoner, or the G8 conferences.

As someone once shouted in my presence 'Shut the fcuk up and play yer' tunes!'

Edit: to re-inforce that I really like Neil Young and am not picking on him exclusively - just my view on wankery at gigs. A good new-ish band is Band of Skulls, saw them live this year and they were brilliant. They finished one song with Neil Young-esque feedback wankery... The queue at the lavvies and bar became noticeably longer!

Edited by pozbaird

I was at Springsteen last night as well, what a gig! 3 and half hours without a break is some shift and what a show he puts on. As great as it was it was only the third best thing I've seen at Hampden this year!

Correct.

Gig of the Year - League Cup Final

Runner Up - League Cup Semi Final

Neil Young and Crazy Horse were f**kin AMAZING last week. Seen him many times but last week was the best I have ever witnessed. The King of Grunge is alive and well. Long live the King!

And I have to disagree with Poz. Neil was out to enjoy himslef and not deliver a Greatest Hits list. Every version of every song last week was played in Crazy Horse's ad-hoc style making every track a unique experience. Absolutely fantastic. Close this thread. Neil Young is the gig of the year. :)

Neil Young and Crazy Horse were f**kin AMAZING last week. Seen him many times but last week was the best I have ever witnessed. The King of Grunge is alive and well. Long live the King!

And I have to disagree with Poz. Neil was out to enjoy himslef and not deliver a Greatest Hits list. Every version of every song last week was played in Crazy Horse's ad-hoc style making every track a unique experience. Absolutely fantastic. Close this thread. Neil Young is the gig of the year. :)

Not saying that everyone should tour a greatest hits set, just discussing the comment that Neil Young was out to entertain himself, and not to entertain other people.

If Springsteen played a greatest hits set he could have ditched any number of songs in the middle of last night's set and included Born in the USA, Bobby Jean, or Girls in Their Summer Clothes, Because the Night, The River, Hungry Heart, or any number of others.

I don't like self-indulgent whataboutery wankery - people pay good money, have maybe waited donkeys years to see someone, and I just don't like pissing around for pissing arounds sake. I saw Queen in their heyday twice - once at the Apollo in the late 70s they were awesome. Then in the 80s in Edinburgh their heads were up their own arses. 30 minute versions of 'Get Down Make Love' and complete wankery from Brian May, who must have needed a special roadie to clean the cum stains from his guitar after each extended and un-necessary guitar solo wankfest.

Steely Dan were another. Re-formed then toured without playing three of their biggest and best songs. Sheer stubborn wankery from Donald Fagen in particular if you ask me.

Hey, just my opinion for discussion! Ritchie Blackmore - nearly forgot about him. Rainbow were just like Queen - certain tours were full of self-indulgent 20th century greensleeves wank-out 30 minute per' song shite - while other tours were brilliantly balanced, and he was on fire. A complete bellend, but still one of the best guitarists I've ever seen on a stage.

My conclusion is that I would have fcuking hated Jimi Hendrix!

Edited by pozbaird

ears still buzzing from Springsteen last night, he advanced my tinnitus a few steps and i cant complain. Best of the 3 times i have seen him and that is saying something.

3 hours forty minutes on stage non stop, the band take breaks but he's out front the whole night.

The banner for "it's hard to be a saint in the city" looked suspiciously St Mirren-esque" and brucie leapt on it when he saw it. i thought we might have been in for one of the more introspective folky gigs until then.

I'd definitely go back a fourth time if he tours again. Big thanks to my son who got the tickets and then had his rota changed so he couldnt go

I have paid good money over the years to see some really shitty gigs. Van Morrison and Lou Reed are two performers I really admire but 'live' they were dire as both were out their box. I wouldnt waste money going to see Van the Man ever again as he was out his face every time I have seen him.

I also have little time for a Greatest Hits set as if played by numbers and not that much different from the recorded version that I could sit in the house and play and save myself £60. I love to hear passion and a different take on a known song that makes the live experience unique with no two gigs the same. Neil fits the bill every time. :)

I have paid good money over the years to see some really shitty gigs. Van Morrison and Lou Reed are two performers I really admire but 'live' they were dire as both were out their box. I wouldnt waste money going to see Van the Man ever again as he was out his face every time I have seen him.

I also have little time for a Greatest Hits set as if played by numbers and not that much different from the recorded version that I could sit in the house and play and save myself £60. I love to hear passion and a different take on a known song that makes the live experience unique with no two gigs the same. Neil fits the bill every time. smile.png

No point going to Neil Young unless you are ready for anything. He doesnt pander but he doesnt short-change either.This stuff about him entertaining himself and stuff the audience is a bit off-track. They have paid for him to take them somewhere and he obliges, no point complaining if he goes somewhere other than what they hoped for

I heard Van Morrison spends most gigs thoroughly pished. He has produced one of rock's greatest ironies though, his anal sex song is constantly used to create a happy, fun vibe in family restaurants and theme parks all over the USA