The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I agree 100% we need to move on after the result regardless but have you been to the home counties / London recently ? It's like a different world (never mind country) to up here yet we are told we are "better together". It might seem like a shoulder chip but the Tory boiz trip up north smacks totally of a last ditch attempt to get us back to toeing their party line no matter how you dress it up. A longing for the same level of investment and wealth as the home counties is hardly looking inward - it's something the vast majority of us in Scotland can only dream about (or move to if you have a spare half million for the 3 bed semi). If we had a level playing field we wouldn't be in this situation today.

I can't argue that certain areas of the England are a world apart but Scotland has it's own affluent areas.

Do you think this will alter, to any great extent, IF we get independence?

This "utopia" I'm afraid just won't happen.

Guest TPAFKATS

I can't argue that certain areas of the England are a world apart but Scotland has it's own affluent areas.

Don't expect utopia, want a better society.

I've predicted at around 65/35 No win for the whole campaign. Historically that's the split in Scotland and I don't see any reason to change that.

The newspapers have been looking to make the vote as tight as possible cause it sells more copies and I suppose it's worked but the sensible heads are back on now.

FFS "The Newspapers" are Yes supporters? Whoda thunk it!

Slash:

much of what you say is true

however, that wasn't really my point

the point is that a company like standard life sell money purchase personal pensions. They also have a vast book of back business.

that business currently comes under uk wide tax and regulatory controls - which cost a fortune to administer.

independence will mean seperate tax and regulatory systems. That will heap additional costs onto a company like that and someone will need to pay.

as wrangler boy, with his simplistic world view pointed out, basically people will invest where they cam get the highest return

that, of course, is too simple, but returns is a major factor

and Scottish companies will not be able to provide the highest returns when burdened with these extra costs

add in the perceived extra risk that folk in the r of uk will have of having their money going abroad then you can see its a recipe for disaster

the falling share prices are merely the markets view of what will happen upon independence. They see companies like standard life losing business. Its inevitable.

So Scottish companies provide the highest returns?

So how do the other 'foreign' companies make a profit?

the UK is one of the most unequal countries in the world. Being I dependant can address that. The UK Labour Party in the UK is not the labour pArty that was set up to stop an unjust in the UK we have MR Darling getting paid from private health care company's for services to the national health service. Labour Scotland in independence will go back to its roots to make Scotland a more caring and fair country. The no camp are trying to climb up a hill now full of ice.

the UK is one of the most unequal countries in the world. Being I dependant can address that. The UK Labour Party in the UK is not the labour pArty that was set up to stop an unjust in the UK we have MR Darling getting paid from private health care company's for services to the national health service. Labour Scotland in independence will go back to its roots to make Scotland a more caring and fair country. The no camp are trying to climb up a hill now full of ice.

very good article here from the guardian, the paragraph on London adresses this very point.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jan/20/scottish-independence-becoming-only-option

very good article here from the guardian, the paragraph on London adresses this very point.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jan/20/scottish-independence-becoming-only-option

Nice one.

I especially liked this:

"Earlier this month, the UK Treasury declared that, following a period of intense and prolonged analysis of the economic numbers, each of us would be £1 a year worse off in an independent Scotland. Put another way, for £1 a year you will never have to endure the economic privations of a Conservative government ever again. You will not be penalised for being poor or old and nor will you suffer the pain of watching your young boys being killed in illegal wars or occupations.

We won't be lacking friends, either. Of matters concerning oil and Europe in an independent Scotland, the Norwegian government officials I met in Oslo last month were very upbeat. "Come and talk to us before you commit to the EU," they said, "and let us advise you how to manage your oil fund and how to negotiate with the oil companies."

£1 a year worse off eh? and that was in January last year that the Treasury said that!

Oh well, I guess I'll need to tighten my belt...

Edited by Vambo57

Doing my job i drive through plenty " poverty stricken " areas of Glasgow.

Pick up lots of the " deprived " during the year going to the Airport as they fly off tae sunnier climes to recuperate from their busy lives.

Looking around their houses, it's almost impossible to see their dirty windaes due to the forest of Sky Dishes.

They seem to have more disposable income than me and i'm no bad at housekeeping.

They've got money, it's just that they dinnae need to spend a percentage on bills and house expenses.

Doing my job i drive through plenty " poverty stricken " areas of Glasgow.

Pick up lots of the " deprived " during the year going to the Airport as they fly off tae sunnier climes to recuperate from their busy lives.

Looking around their houses, it's almost impossible to see their dirty windaes due to the forest of Sky Dishes.

They seem to have more disposable income than me and i'm no bad at housekeeping.

They've got money, it's just that they dinnae need to spend a percentage on bills and house expenses.

We covered all that stuff about 10 days ago. . It has been done to death. .

There was some prof of economics from Stirling uni on Radio shortbread this morning saying that the fall in the market and the fall in the pound was, if related at all, more likely due to the markets jitters at Westminster not having any plans for a Yes outcome to the referendum. He also said that the pound had already been at that level against the dollar twice this year and at the same level against the euro 16 times this year. As we all know, share prices go down as well as up so that part is really not news. I think it's just a lot of assumptions as the events have just happened to coincide with the YouGov poll. It also said on the radio that the latest poll (can't remember who the poller was) had it neck and neck at 41% each with the rest undecided. I wonder if the pound will rise against the dollar / euro and the share prices go back up now.

The pound was at a lower rate against the dollar in October and December last year last year, as well as in February and April this year.

Just picked up and dropped off an assumed ' deprived guy '

I'm assuming because he's in his mid 20's and has told me he's never worked a day in his life.

Well, his Taxi from Cardonald to McDonalds Govan wait and return cost him a tenner.

He spent 22 quid at the Drive Thru to feed his family.

Good luck to him.

Scotland's thriving.

We covered all that stuff about 10 days ago. . It has been done to death. .

Most of the posts on here go unread unless my insomnia is kicking in.

Generally the material on this Topic is long winded, intensley boring and pure shite.

I'm assuming because he's in his mid 20's and has told me he's never worked a day in his life.

Well, his Taxi from Cardonald to McDonalds Govan wait and return cost him a tenner.

Good luck to him.

Scotland's thriving.

I blame the polls......

I blame the fourth official. .

Wonder if the tories labour and the libs are sharing the train up tomorrow , plotting against the nasty scots..history will tell you the out come next weeks election. .probably. .but as my favourite line from platoon goes. .its been a lovely fu.kin war..saltire over downing street , patronising .

Good luck to him.

Scotland's thriving.

And everytime said Laddie above is picked up, he always reeking of cannibas.

Maybe he's Lottery winner.