The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just watching the news and the guy from Scotland being held hostage by Islamic State, and the options being discussed about rescue plans. It might well end up badly anyway for the guy with high level UK and US intervention, but where would he be if we were independent? Not a lot of options, bar parachuting John Barrowman and Karen Dunbar into enemy territory to mount a daring rescue mission. That could work though, two songs and a sketch would see IS fighters throw down their weapons and beg for mercy.

Edited by pozbaird

Just watching the news and the guy from Scotland being held hostage by Islamic State, and the options being discussed about rescue plans.. It might well end up badly for the guy with high level UK and US intervention, but where would he be if we were independent? Not a lot of options, bar parachuting John Barrowman and Karen Dunbar into enemy territory to mount a daring rescue mission. That could work though, two songs and a sketch would see IS fighters throw down their weapons and beg for mercy.

Yeah.

Let's hope any attempt is more successful as the last USA "rescue".

Because that went so well, with the USA being a world super power and all that.

Anway, I'm sure NATO would be keen to help us out. They love a good incursion.

Just watching the news and the guy from Scotland being held hostage by Islamic State, and the options being discussed about rescue plans.. It might well end up badly for the guy with high level UK and US intervention, but where would he be if we were independent? Not a lot of options, bar parachuting John Barrowman and Karen Dunbar into enemy territory to mount a daring rescue mission. That could work though, two songs and a sketch would see IS fighters throw down their weapons and beg for mercy.

might work - i had to run out of the house when they were singing at the games

Guest TPAFKATS

Just watching the news and the guy from Scotland being held hostage by Islamic State, and the options being discussed about rescue plans. It might well end up badly anyway for the guy with high level UK and US intervention, but where would he be if we were independent? Not a lot of options, bar parachuting John Barrowman and Karen Dunbar into enemy territory to mount a daring rescue mission. That could work though, two songs and a sketch would see IS fighters throw down their weapons and beg for mercy.

Mibees he wouldn't be used as a bargaining chip if he was only Scottish not British. Similar to the reason John Simpson from Bbc travels the worlds war zones on an Irish passport?

Yeah.

Let's hope any attempt is more successful as the last USA "rescue".

Because that went so well, with the USA being a world super power and all that.

Anway, I'm sure NATO would be keen to help us out. They love a good incursion.

Fair enough, but what about, for example, the Scottish 'drug mule' lassie story from last year. I'm just throwing these things out there. What embassy would be acting as a go-between under independence? Say you or I are abroad and are mugged, stitched up by dodgy polis' or whatever. I'd be contacting the British embassy. Would ambassador wee Jimmy Krankie take my call under independence? Edited by pozbaird

there is currently a cap on benefits,below are the cap levels taken from gov.uk site

• £500 a week for couples (with or without children living with them)
  • £500 a week for single parents whose children live with them
  • £350 a week for single adults who don’t have children, or whose children don’t live with them.
these amounts would be from several benefits, disabled people are rightly paid the most but in varying levels according to their disability,so one single person could get £500 per week, people on jobseekers allowance or a single sickness benefit are paid £72,40 per week and could get housing benefit on top if they rent their property , it is possible that someone could save up and go on holiday if they were at or near the top of the cap level,but this would be a minority and would also be people who have been on benefits like DLA and AA which are no longer available to new claimants,

i am not wishing to be part of your wee tiff with Phil, just giving info from my knowledge of benefits.

ETA housing benefit is part of the £500 cap if you pay rent, if you own you own home and dont pay rent there is no change in the cap level, so someone owning their own home could get £500 per week

The benefit cap is a misnomer in Scotland as so few people reach the cap levels. It was applied to cap HB payments in London. No one NOT receiving HB could reach the cap level in Scotland and remember the HB payment will ultimately go to the landlord either directly or via the claimant. I most certainly would not be boasting about family members funding foreign holidays solely from benefits on a public forum as that is the sort of thing LA and DWP fraud units are always on the lookout for.

Guest TPAFKATS

Fair enough, but what about, for example, the Scottish 'drug mule' lassie story from last year. I'm just throwing these things out there. What embassy would be acting as a go-between under independence? Say you or I are abroad and are mugged, stitched up by dodgy polis' or whatever. I'd be contacting the British embassy. Would ambassador wee Jimmy Krankie take my call under independence?

The issue of embassies was covered a long time ago on this thread. Any EU member state's embassy will provide for the citizens of the EU.

Not all the EU states have embassies in every country.

Guest TPAFKATS

The recent better together leaflet showing how items cost more in Irish Tesco than UK and stating this would be same in Indy Scotland has been disowned by Tesco in email replies to question.

Paid Security Consultant's or Mercenary call him what you Like , He Knew the Risk's, He was taking the Money, - He was taking the Big Buck's. Tough Titty ? Just dont Expect Sympathy for the many Ex British forces Member, Who has been blownto Bit's / Killed working for the Yankee Dollar !

The benefit cap is a misnomer in Scotland as so few people reach the cap levels. It was applied to cap HB payments in London. No one NOT receiving HB could reach the cap level in Scotland and remember the HB payment will ultimately go to the landlord either directly or via the claimant. I most certainly would not be boasting about family members funding foreign holidays solely from benefits on a public forum as that is the sort of thing LA and DWP fraud units are always on the lookout for.

agree it is very silly to mention holidaying on benefits,but benefits for the disabled are meant to improve their quality of life and if going on holiday does that then it's well used, and not against the rules as long as the person informs the relevant department if they receive a benefit which requires them to do so.and i dont think he is boasting,more like he is bemoaning the fact that his in-law gets the amount she gets,the HB part is not as irrelevant in scotland as you say because it depends on the amount of rent you have to pay,so someone living in rented accomodation in an expensive to rent in area anywhere in the uk could feasibly be at the cap level

Guest TPAFKATS

The RMT union today came out in favour of Scottish Independence.

This is significant not only as they are the first trade union to officially announce this, but more importantly they are the first so far only trade union to ballot their members.

there is currently a cap on benefits,below are the cap levels taken from gov.uk site

• £500 a week for couples (with or without children living with them)
  • £500 a week for single parents whose children live with them
  • £350 a week for single adults who don’t have children, or whose children don’t live with them.

these amounts would be from several benefits, disabled people are rightly paid the most but in varying levels according to their disability,so one single person could get £500 per week, people on jobseekers allowance or a single sickness benefit are paid £72,40 per week and could get housing benefit on top if they rent their property , it is possible that someone could save up and go on holiday if they were at or near the top of the cap level,but this would be a minority and would also be people who have been on benefits like DLA and AA which are no longer available to new claimants,

How much of that £500 would they actually get in their hand? It sounds like the vast bulk would be in housing benefit.

I most certainly would not be boasting about family members funding foreign holidays solely from benefits on a public forum as that is the sort of thing LA and DWP fraud units are always on the lookout for.

In fairness I hadn't considered the possibility that Phil's relative might be on the fiddle.

If that were the case I'm not surprised he's not publishing details of what she's claiming.

But perhaps she's enjoying a genuine windfall of £500 cash a week.

I doubt it though.

Edited by oaksoft

agree it is very silly to mention holidaying on benefits,but benefits for the disabled are meant to improve their quality of life and if going on holiday does that then it's well used, and not against the rules as long as the person informs the relevant department if they receive a benefit which requires them to do so.and i dont think he is boasting,more like he is bemoaning the fact that his in-law gets the amount she gets,the HB part is not as irrelevant in scotland as you say because it depends on the amount of rent you have to pay,so someone living in rented accomodation in an expensive to rent in area anywhere in the uk could feasibly be at the cap level

Jesus christ on a Bike ! We have the Civil Servant / Private Landlord / Call Centre operative, Failing to grasp his stupidity, That Westminster Rule's ? Now who would have such a complicated system in an Independent Country ?

post-8992-0-66714700-1409869071_thumb.jp

In fairness I hadn't considered the possibility that Phil's relative might be on the fiddle.

If that were the case I'm not surprised he's not publishing details of what she's claiming.

But perhaps she's enjoying a genuine windfall of £500 cash a week.

I doubt it though.

post-8992-0-46871100-1409869796.jpg

How much of that £500 would they actually get in their hand? It sounds like the vast bulk would be in housing benefit.

depends on the rent amount, if you pay £500 rent a month (not uncommon in scotland) then you can be left with £1500 per month - benefit is paid weekly/fortnightly/four weekly, although what ayrshire saint is saying about the cap being introduced mainly due to the vast amounts of housing benefit that were paid in london is partly true, it does bring benefits there down to the level of other areas of the uk, this is why a lot of people are having to move out of london.

A person who is a single parent (or guardian) of 2 dependant children could be getting DLA/SDA,CA,IB, child tax credit and child benefit, that could amount to 3 or 4 hundred quid a week before HB, but they would need to cut down a bit each week to afford the kind of holidays being spoken of.unless of course they were getting benefits they are not entitled to and therefore did not have the same expense as a person who is entitled and has to spend more than able bodied people just to stay in a bit of comfort

depends on the rent amount, if you pay £500 rent a month (not uncommon in scotland) then you can be left with £1500 per month - benefit is paid weekly/fortnightly/four weekly, although what ayrshire saint is saying about the cap being introduced mainly due to the vast amounts of housing benefit that were paid in london is partly true, it does bring benefits there down to the level of other areas of the uk, this is why a lot of people are having to move out of london.

A person who is a single parent (or guardian) of 2 dependant children could be getting DLA/SDA,CA,IB, child tax credit and child benefit, that could amount to 3 or 4 hundred quid a week before HB, but they would need to cut down a bit each week to afford the kind of holidays being spoken of.unless of course they were getting benefits they are not entitled to and therefore did not have the same expense as a person who is entitled and has to spend more than able bodied people just to stay in a bit of comfort

Look NawBag, Fine well You Know that Housing Benefit, Is Dealt with Face to Face Customer Service Advisors ? Is It, That You have grown a Pair and realised that your Pish concerning your Job Prospect would be poorer in an Independent Country, Just one load of Keech ? Have You realised that this Debate, Is about People and not Politics ? You BC are in for one massive Lesson on People Power ?

post-8992-0-82555800-1409886539_thumb.jp