The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well... as a bankrupt Scotland went on to enter into (then profit from) a Union that was the greatest Empire on Earth for about a century, then you've had ample opportunity to not only enjoy how much better life is sharing the fruits from that Empire (naughty empire with only 'the english' doing the naughty stuff, no doubt), but to still be in a stable, prosperous society that is far from perfect but is always improving.

It IS better together now.

(SHITE SLOGAN AND I HATE TRYING TO DEFEND IT, BTW)

how have things improved in Scotland ? Rich richer poor poorer food banks. Have a wee walk down most town centres today compared to the 60s and 70s is that an improvement . read what my signature says at the bottom of this post that is a fact of 2014 Bluto

That might be true - if I was arguing. What's actually happening is that you are stating things and I am either asking you for proof or, more often, correcting you. Or sometimes I state the obvious that you are no good at trolling - cos u still ain't.

translation: ive lost here so id better call him a troll

you're just no good!

:1eye

You know, all you shite aliases are morphing into one now. Sometimes I think you forget who you are logged on as. I would have thought that the whole point of trolling was to wind people up but you are obviously failing miserably at that. You've probably failed all through your life and that is why you chose a nom de plume that is an invitation for folk to right royally shaft you.

Keep that up and I'm going for YES....................lol.gif

how have things improved in Scotland ? Rich richer poor poorer food banks. Have a wee walk down most town centres today compared to the 60s and 70s is that an improvement . read what my signature says at the bottom of this post that is a fact of 2014 Bluto

Oh f**k aye it's an improvement.

I was around the 70's IBOS and there is absolutely no doubt at all that vast swathes of Scotland is MUCH MUCH better today than it was in the 70's. Just look at the Gorbals for a classic example, Dennistoun, Bridgeton, even f**king Greenock. Just because Paisley is the land that time forgot doesn't mean the rest of the country hasn't had a massive facelift.

yet the yes campaign keep telling us that Scotland is one of the richest nations on the planet

food banks? My mother in law has been on benefits for 40 years. She's just back from her annual holiday in turkey and is currently planning her autumn break

town centres r they way they r because of the worldwide phenomena of out of town shopping centres and amazon... And its happened with an snp Scottish government!

yet the yes campaign keep telling us that Scotland is one of the richest nations on the planet

food banks? My mother in law has been on benefits for 40 years. She's just back from her annual holiday in turkey and is currently planning her autumn break

town centres r they way they r because of the worldwide phenomena of out of town shopping centres and amazon... And its happened with an snp Scottish government!

I'm back in the NO camp...................maybe I'm undecided after all.

You know, all you shite aliases are morphing into one now. Sometimes I think you forget who you are logged on as. I would have thought that the whole point of trolling was to wind people up but you are obviously failing miserably at that. You've probably failed all through your life and that is why you chose a nom de plume that is an invitation for folk to right royally shaft you.

failed all through life

deary me

you'll be telling us your mensa score next :1eye

i bet you wear wranglers

Some of those stupid Natsi's don't appear to know that Norway has foodbanks and homeless people. It's quite incredible when you consider that their government supposedly holds enough funds in reserve from their oil fund to make every Norwegian a millionaire. Of course their claims don't look quite so impressive when you realise that the millionaire reference that they peddled out didn't refer to Sterling, but to Norwegian Krone.

40% income tax for life so that you can pay £50 Sterling for a macaroni and cheese with a bit of garlic bread in the local restaurant on a night out and these Natsi muppets think Norway in the panacea. :rolleyes:

Some of those stupid Natsi's don't appear to know that Norway has foodbanks and homeless people. It's quite incredible when you consider that their government supposedly holds enough funds in reserve from their oil fund to make every Norwegian a millionaire. Of course their claims don't look quite so impressive when you realise that the millionaire reference that they peddled out didn't refer to Sterling, but to Norwegian Krone.

40% income tax for life so that you can pay £50 Sterling for a macaroni and cheese with a bit of garlic bread in the local restaurant on a night out and these Natsi muppets think Norway in the panacea. :rolleyes:

careful now dorothy

you'll be slapped down as a troll or one of life's failures

typed through the tears :lol:

Walk around any out of town shopping mall, such as Braehead, see the conspicuous consumption and that would be this culture's counterbalance to the demise of the High Street. People spend more and seem happier shopping in Malls with easy parking for their big flash cars than catching the erratic bus service into town to walk about a dribble of shops, in the rain.... that would be the easy answer to how "things are an improvement".

You and I may regret the demise of the town centres but it would appear that most people are happier, an improvement. They use them.

I am certainly not (never have been) happy with the vast gulf between rich and poor in this society, but I certainly feel that divide and rule is one way for those who do have the power to keep things as unfair and so the September vote is NOT going to shift any of that one iota. London and its power will be unaffected, Capitalism will not even notice. Atlas will not shrug.

Someone else on this thread, this page I believe, discusses food banks in allegedly better examples for Scottish society.

And, sorry, cannae see your sig when posting from a ipad.

Edited by bluto

Are you saying your mother in law going multiple annual foreign holidays while on long term benefits is a good thing or a disgrace and wtf has it got to do with the referendum??

nicola sturgeon was doing well there for the yes campaign until she was replaced by elaine c smith ! she just wanted to shout over the person she was on the stage with and it came over as a complete act.

the wee angry guy following smith for the yes campaign just avoided the straight question of what happens to jobs in argyll after trident, they need better speakers - some of the guys on here would be better. than johann lamont or smith and sturgeon

no campaign dodging questions now and suggesting losing trident would liken our situation to that of ukraine, they are all twats and dont help in making me decide one way or another. i would shudder at the prospect of elaine c smith having any control though

Edited by buddiecat

Guest TPAFKATS

Don't think Mary doll is planning to stand for parliament?

Haven't watched all of this programme though so might have missed that.

I did hear wee Ruthie concede the next Westminster election though...shameless atempt to get votes through saying labour will win.

Don't think Mary doll is planning to stand for parliament?

Haven't watched all of this programme though so might have missed that.

I did hear wee Ruthie concede the next Westminster election though...shameless atempt to get votes through saying labour will win.

some really strange statements from both sides,again another debate that doesnt inspire confidence in either camp, mary doll did not say she would stand for election but she was talking like a politician and promising a better future - just like all the politicians

I see the SNP have f**ked themselves again. This time it's Nicola Sturgeon and a new Scottish Government report that's blown the lid off their welfare plans.

For months now the Yes Campaign has claimed that an Independent Scotland would have a separate welfare system that would allow it to pay Scottish Pensioners their pensions at an earlier age, or which would allow them to stop the implementation of the single room supplement. Infact it transpires that the SNP have NO PLAN at all for Welfare after Independence and perhaps most ridiculously of all they've announced that, after months of complaining about Westminster handling of the welfare system, that post independence the Scottish Government would hand control of Scottish Welfare to Westminster.

When Nicola Sturgeon published her Welfare Blueprint for Scotland she said in it that "keeping the UK Welfare System would MAKE SENSE". Far from making a case for independence she's actually made the case for keeping the UK together. Now the experts are rounding on her.

The SNP’s own Expert Working Group on Welfare:

“A downside of continuing to share services might be that an independent Scottish Government finds itself unable to implement some of its early priorities for change to the benefit system.” 11 June 2013

Dr Nicola McEwen, Director of Public Policy at the Academy of Government, University of Edinburgh and Senior ESRC Scotland Fellow:

"sharing service delivery would act as a significant constraint on the policies that could be pursued under independence.”

"The agencies delivering welfare services are scattered across the UK, and many are in Scotland. But the welfare system is nonetheless deeply integrated. It is dependent upon a core IT system run by the UK Department for Works and Pensions that determines entitlements based upon policies set by the UK government. Relatively minor modifications can be accommodated - as is the case currently in Northern Ireland where social security is devolved. But it would be extremely difficult to share the administration and delivery of services if entitlements were markedly different north and south of the border.”

"We can question the extent to which an independent Scotland could develop a radically distinctive welfare state for a variety of fiscal and political reasons, but shared arrangements of this kind would make it all the more difficult.” University of Edinburgh Press Release, 11 June 2013

David Bell, Professor of Economics at the University of Stirling and Senior ESRC Scotland Fellow:

"If they are going to subcontract administration to the DWP [uK Department for Work and Pensions] that means that in essence the design of the system isn't going to change very much." Good Morning Scotland, 11 June 2013

Guy Lodge, Associate Director of the Institute for Public Policy Research:

“The politics of this is all to do with making the SNP look less and less threatening, that there will be a great deal of continuity moving from the status quo to independence … We’ve seen it with the currency and the monarchy. This is part of the same narrative.”

“The DWP might say you can use our IT and administrative systems but it will come at a cost — particularly if you start differentiating welfare policies, because that will create an administrative burden that someone has to pay. That someone would be the Scottish government.” The Times, 12 June 2013

I need to hear more from Elaine C Mary Doll and the thin white Bowie dukester to help me decide. God knows how I'm going to come to a decision without more input from celebrities. Anyone know where Bono, Anneka Rice or Len fae' Strictly Come Dancing stand on this?

Guest TPAFKATS

I need to hear more from Elaine C Mary Doll and the thin white Bowie dukester to help me decide. God knows how I'm going to come to a decision without more input from celebrities. Anyone know where Bono, Anneka Rice or Len fae' Strictly Come Dancing stand on this?

Only one of them actually works on trying to achieve a better scotland though. Anneka used to have a lovely erse though.

Mibees Better Together should get a cameraperson to follow behind a jogging Ruth, Mags Curran, Johann, ...oh forget it.

Guest TPAFKATS

Best quote of the debate so far came tonight from Elaine.c.smith ,

" the no campaign are telling you to get on the bus, get to the back and shut up"

Who was that wee boy that came on at the end with the red shirt and blue suit on?

Yes or No I dont think the labour vote in Scotland will recover any time soon

Len was last seen in Farmfoods he gave it a 10.